Author Topic: Bittersweet wedding/love proverbs?  (Read 2126 times)

unnalee

Bittersweet wedding/love proverbs?
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »
Does anyone know of some proverbs that talk about how you get both good and bad in the course of life, and how the bad makes the good all that much sweeter?  Something similar to "Take the bitter with the sweet".  Is this a common idea in many cultures?

I'm in the midst of putting together a small exhibit in our museum space at work (I work in a small archive/museum).  We're looking for a saying to sort of sum up our theme.  Our exhibit is going to focus on the harships of life for immigrants coming to the U.S. around the turn of the last century, and how even on a happy occasion like a wedding, the realities of life were always present.  I know that sounds kind of harsh, but with the items we're using and the signage, I promise it does make sense.

Our main focus is on Finnish immigrants (and I know there are at least a couple of Finns on EHell), but proverbs from any culture would be great.  If you know of one, could you tell me the language & culture of origin and a general translation into English?

Searching the Internet for things like this, it's hard to know what's genuine and what's been translated correctly.  Your help is MUCH appreciated!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Bittersweet wedding/love proverbs?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »
Best of luck with your show.  It sounds very interesting.

Putting a thing like this together is both great fun and exhausting.  Finding a title that sums up the show and gives a unity to the objects makes the job much easier. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »
Come on, people.  This is too interesting a thread to see die an early death.

Although no proverbs come to my mind, there must be some about the rose and the thorn or the honey and the sting. 

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
All I've got is : “The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.”
 John Vance Cheney

but that seems more bitter than sweet
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
All I've got is : “The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.”
 John Vance Cheney

but that seems more bitter than sweet

That's beautiful.

unnalee

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »
A co-worker emailed me one that she got from a relative.  It sort of fits, but isn't quite what I'm looking for.

"Onnellisuus on se paikka puuttuvaisuuden ja yltäkylläisyyden välillä."
(Happiness is a place between too little and too much.)

My Finnish isn't the best, so I hope the spelling/translation is ok.

Kaypeep

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »
Love is the flower of life, and blossoms unexpectedly and without law, and must be plucked where it is found, and enjoyed for the brief hour of its duration.

D.H. LAWRENCE

Love isn't there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure.

HERMANN HESSE, Peter Camenzind
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:00:47 PM by Kaypeep »

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.  ~Author Unknown
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Ereine

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »
All I can think of is Itku pitkästä ilosta, which translates as something like Sorrow will come from a long joy (if you know Finnish you can probably translate it better).

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
This is a Maori proverb

Ahakoa iti, he pounamu.
(Although it is small, it is of greenstone.)

It is saying that though what I give you is small, it is very precious indeed.

Greenstone was highly sought after, and often given as a pendant to a new bride. 

I am not sure this is quite what you want, but hope it helps.

katycoo

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »
“Sometimes the happiest ending isn't the one you keep longing for, but something you absolutely cannot see from where you are.”

Sometimes the memories are worth the pain.

Love is the flower of life, and blossoms unexpectedly and without law, and must be plucked where it is found, and enjoyed for the brief hour of its duration. - D.H. LAWRENCE

Love isn't there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure - HERMANN HESSE, Peter Camenzind

Love's never a fair trade. - MARGARET ATWOOD, The Year of the Flood