Author Topic: "Come On, How Much?"  (Read 4472 times)

cookiehappy

"Come On, How Much?"
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »
In my office, bosses give Christmas gifts to their assistants.  But every boss is different and each assistant gets something different – one may get season tickets to a professional sports team while another may get a basket of bruised fruit that is obviously a re-gift.  It runs the gamut.

I received my usual gift card and was VERY grateful for the amount this year.  I thanked my boss and his team and put the card in my purse and went about my work.

Two coworkers came by and asked what I got.  I hesitated and told them a gift card.  They asked “for how much”.  It felt to me they were asking a personal question, almost like asking how much I make a year.  I told them I didn’t want to say.  CW1 said, “oooh, that much huh, come on, how much was the card?”  I said I wouldn’t discuss it and bean-dipped about the holiday cookies that were in the kitchen.  CW2 said, “fine, be that way” and stormed off.  CW1 whispered, “you can tell me later, I want to know” and she walked off.  An hour later, I get an email from CW1 asking again how much was the card and did I want to share.  She said she was just kidding about the share part, but still wanted to know how much.  I never responded.

That was the day I left for vacation and am back today hoping the fascination with my gift card has subsided.

Is it rude not to divulge a gift amount?

Lorelei_Evil

Re: "Come On, How Much?"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
She was rude to even ask, so of course not.

bloo

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
No, it is not rude to not share personal information.

Although I'm not sure of the rule of asking in this instance...it feels rude to ask so exponentially rude to keep asking.

You're not even been 'bean-dipping' here. You're making it clear you don't want to share that information and they don't need it.

IMO, they're being very rude and entitled.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
They were rude to ask; it's none of their business.  I think ignoring the email was fine.  A one word response "Why?" would have been okay but that just keeps it going.

In situations like that I find a "never mind" and a smile also works.

TOLady

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
That's like asking how much your bonus was! It's between you and your boss/bosses.

Tacky, tacky, tacky!

They were definitely rude in, first asking, and second, continuing to bug you about it!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »
They were rude for asking.  You are under no obligation to disclose the amount of the gift card.  If they keep insisting you might try "Why is it so important to you to know how much was given to me?"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
Definitely rude. Evilsiamesecat would be tempted to say "$1 or $10,000" but that's why she stays in her cage most of the time :).  I've had people ask me before how much things cost, or how much the gift card was. The only time I've ever come close to ansewring was the year my cousin gave me a very generous Amazon gc, which allowed me to buy my Kindle pretty much outright, and I just said "it was very generous" But that was family; a CW I wouldnt even bother saying taht to.

yokozbornak

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
Ick!  They were very rude.

I would pull my best Dr. Evil impersonation by putting my pinky to my mouth and saying, "One million dollars!" while cackling fiendishly.  But I am just weird like that.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
That's incredibly rude of them. Incredibly. And ruder with each time they asked again.

I'd scale way back on contact with both of them.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
Maybe they want to compare value of gift card to value of their own gifts.   ::)   (Guess your boss likes you more than my boss likes me, or something along those lines.)  Tacky, rude, and pointless.

The email was completely out of line.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »

I would pull my best Dr. Evil impersonation by putting my pinky to my mouth and saying, "One million dollars!" while cackling fiendishly.  But I am just weird like that.

Not weird.  That's what I would do, too.  ;)  In fact, I have actually done exactly that to wiggle out of a situation where someone asked me about money and I did not want to divulge the info.

Momiitz

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »

This would be my response too!

NyaChan

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »
I think you could have forestalled them by laughing it off the first time they asked in an "Are you seriously asking me about this?" sort of way.  I think they were emboldened by your serious response and think that you are being silly about something simple.  They are very wrong to ask at all, and beyond wrong to continue in pestering you this way.  I really like the Dr. Evil impersonation idea  :D

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 09:14:51 AM »
Could you be vague and say "We went out to dinner with it" or "I bought some clothes?"

BarensMom

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:07 PM »
I buy a lot of gift cards (saves on shipping costs) for my far-flung family.  Some have the $$ amount printed, some don't.  You could simply say, "I don't know, the amount isn't printed on the card."