Author Topic: How Extroverts and Introverts Experience the Holidays  (Read 1324 times)

ilrag

Re: How Extroverts and Introverts Experience the Holidays
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
As a pretty extreme extrovert I have to say none of the thoughts attributed to extroverts have every crossed my mind.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »
And as an introvert, I wouldn't claim any of their so-called introvert thoughts.

ilrag

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
 ;D

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »
And as a dedicated introvert, only one of those statements applied to me. :P “Ah, the safe harbor of the kitchen! Someone has to cut the cheesecake, right? Tomorrow I’ll have the house all to myself, plus it’ll be clean.”

My holiday party thoughts generally consist of "I wonder how long I can hide out in the bathroom without anyone noticing" and "Gah, I can't even think with all these noise and all these people. Why is my bubble being invaded? Only forty-seven minutes until I can leave."
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
I'm also an introvert, but the only one I can relate to is the dinner party, and being able to carry on a nice conversation.

Betelnut

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
I'm an extrovert--which means that being with people energizes me. 
I know an introvert--which means that being with people tires him.

Both of us enjoy parties, talking to people, laughing.  My friend, the introvert, can have the whole crowd laughing, facilitates meetings with flair, and is quite the raconteur.  He's just exhausted afterwards and needs down time.

I think there is too much made of the ex/introvert "dichotomy."  We are INDIVIDUALS, not labels.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

workerbee

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
I agree 100% with Betelnut. I'm an introvert, but I certainly enjoy parties and socializing, and can easily hold my own. Plenty of people have expressed surprise when they find out I'm not classified as an extrovert on the MBTI.

At the same time, I really, really enjoy my alone time, never get bored when I'm by myself, and I do need time to recharge after a big party.

I think a lot of those thoughts, while funny to read, really miss the boat, and just feed into the misconceptions about introverts vs. extroverts.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »

Both of us enjoy parties, talking to people, laughing.  My friend, the introvert, can have the whole crowd laughing, facilitates meetings with flair, and is quite the raconteur.  He's just exhausted afterwards and needs down time.

I think there is too much made of the ex/introvert "dichotomy."  We are INDIVIDUALS, not labels.

Thank you.  All too often I see the words "introvert" and "extrovert" used almost as weapons or walls to hide behind.  People are people and personalities are full of nuance.  And there are plenty of people are neither and/or both introvert and extrovert depending on all sorts of factors such as who they are with, how they are feeling, where they are, what they are doing etc.

And I thought that article was written with a clear and nasty bias against extroverts.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »

Thank you.  All too often I see the words "introvert" and "extrovert" used almost as weapons or walls to hide behind.  People are people and personalities are full of nuance.  And there are plenty of people are neither and/or both introvert and extrovert depending on all sorts of factors such as who they are with, how they are feeling, where they are, what they are doing etc.

And I thought that article was written with a clear and nasty bias against extroverts.

LOL! And I thought they were pretty hard on introverts!

I have to agree that their statements seem very stereotypical and... cartoonish. I am a serious introvert, but parties are not automatically off my list. Nor is chatting (I talk way too much sometimes. Can you tell? ;D )

I've also gone to events with an extrovert, and it isn't a lot of fun because he gets bored easily! I'm the one chatting a mile a minute and he's the one tugging on my arm because he wants to leave. ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Firecat

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »
Definitely stereotypical, and therefore not particularly representative. But I will admit that I could relate to the work party one - I like my coworkers, but 40 hours a week is enough...

I could also relate to the "safe harbor of the kitchen" thought, only because I've found I do better at larger gatherings if I can occasionally retreat somewhere quieter for a few minutes. At particularly noisy parties, I can sometimes feel physically sore from the noise afterwards, and a few minutes of quiet is very restorative.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »

I have to agree that their statements seem very stereotypical and... cartoonish. I am a serious introvert, but parties are not automatically off my list. Nor is chatting (I talk way too much sometimes. Can you tell? ;D )

I've also gone to events with an extrovert, and it isn't a lot of fun because he gets bored easily! I'm the one chatting a mile a minute and he's the one tugging on my arm because he wants to leave. ::)

I agree that it was hard (and pretty blatantly wrong) on both sides. I hardly think that all extroverts are crazy party animals and all introverts are shy misanthropes.  :P
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Firecat

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »

I agree that it was hard (and pretty blatantly wrong) on both sides. I hardly think that all extroverts are crazy party animals and all introverts are shy misanthropes.  :P

Well...as an introvert...I can say that I'm not shy...and only somewhat misanthropic... ;)