Poll

What one task/chore would you hire someone to do?

Run miscellaneous errands
4 (2.5%)
Grocery shop
5 (3.1%)
Clean your house
130 (80.2%)
Driver (take you wherever/whenever)
15 (9.3%)
Laundry (wash, dry, fold)
8 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Voting closed: January 17, 2013, 11:43:07 AM

Author Topic: Would you hire someone to................  (Read 2868 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Would you hire someone to................
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »
Your poll only let me pick one  >:(

I had a wonderful housekeeper for several years.  She moved and we decided our kids were too spoiled so didn't replace her.  I still miss her SO MUCH!!! and my kids are still spoiled but at least they know how to clean a bathroom.

I've used laundry services when I was single and when I had my housekeeper she would do laundry too.

I used an online grocery delivery service a couple of times, but found I'm really picky about groceries so I don't think I'd do that anymore.

One summer we had a college student stay with the kids.  He'd drop them at swim practice in the mornings then run some errands for me like picking up dry cleaning, taking videos back to the store (remember doing that), or even run to the store for milk and the like.  He required me to have at least one erand each morning because otherwise he felt like he should just hang out at practice and didn't like doing that because the neighborhood teenage girls flirted too much.  He was such a sweety.

I don't think I'd ever have a fulltime driver as I like driving and being in control.   

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
What about none of the above?  With money as no object, I can stay home and easily accomplish those chores.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
Well, house cleaner is leaving the others in the dust! (teehee)  ;D

My first choice was grocery shopping, second would have been a personal driver.

Sorry I didn't include cooking/personal chef - that was an oversight.  :-[  I don't want to edit now because that would kind of throw things off.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »
All of the above would have been my choice!  As it is, I picked having someone clean our house.  My parents had a housekeeper for awhile, and I never realized how lucky I was to not have to clean my bathroom, or kitchen floor. 

I would love to have someone make me breakfast and lunch, but I don't mind cooking dinner, so I'd only need like a part-time chef.   :P

Having someone deliver groceries would be great too!  It's too cold right now for me to like going out to stores.  :-[

sunnygirl

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
I LOVE doing laundry, to the point where I nearly went into withdrawals when my washer-dryer was broken for a few weeks. I just really enjoy it, weirdly.
I would pick the driver, because having to go everywhere by public transport kinda sucks.

IrishGenes

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
I would hire someone to clean my boys' bathroom even though I am perfectly capable.  They will never be professional athletes with their lack of aim.  ::)
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 07:30:14 PM »
Well, I already pay someone to clean my house.  I have also paid people to paint it - both are things I used to do.

I will never pay anyone to do the laundry - I am the Queen and no one does it as well as I do.

I suppose if I had a gazillion dollars, I may need a personal secretary - and I would pay anyone anything to handle paperwork (insurance, etc.)

katycoo

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »
I'm envious of my friend in London who can choose to have her groceries delivered (or shop in-store).  That must be a godsend in a city where many are dependent on public transportation and don't want to lug groceries around.  She can also "shop" in the middle of the night, and set the delivery time at her convenience.  I'd wished I had that when I was very pregnant or dealing with a cranky infant.

You can do that in most urban places in Australia.  The delivery fee is only about $7 I believe.  Its apparently very handy but I shop in person.

I'd get someone to do the cleaning.  I'm so lazy.

lisat

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 12:01:12 AM »
I don't mind doing any of the above-but I would love to have a yard man who will mow-deadhead-compost-till etc. I love to garden but at my age it is getting to be a bit much.

bloo

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »
I voted driver. I would love to have someone clean my house but I don't want anyone actually IN my house, which is, you know, sort of a problem.  :o

Me too! For the same reasons even... :)

Milash

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 04:42:14 AM »
All of them as well as someone to the cats litter box, I hate cleaning that out.

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 04:47:24 AM »
I lived in South Africa for 30-odd years. Having a girl friday/ nanny/ cleaner was par for the course. I had someone who did all that for me, and more.

I still miss it!

RubyCat

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:08 AM »
Years ago, when I had a home day care & worked 50+ hours per week, I used to shop for groceries online & had them delivered once a week. It was nice but after a while I found I missed picking out my own meats & produce even though the quality of the items delivered was very good. I missed browsing & reading labels, too.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable having somebody touch my laundry or clean my house, and I actually like to drive - at least most of the time.  Though I have considered hiring a coach service the next time we go to the airport. We always seem to end up waiting for the last shuttle late at night on one of the coldest nights of the year.

staceym

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »
#1 definitely is - CLEAN THE HOUSE  ;)

but as others have said, if money wasn't a problem there would be other choices as well - #2 would be hire a driver. 

as for the others - I don't mind doing errands or grocery shopping at all (I'm a bit of a coupon buff (not on the level of extreme couponing by any means) - but I love the challenge of sales/coupons/saving money.

I would prefer to do my own laundry too - heck if I had someone to clean my house, laundry would be a snap to me  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:52:43 AM by staceym »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
I run my work lottery pool and I'm single.

There was a $50 Million jackpot just before Christmas and I was joking around about us winning it.  One of my coworkers emailed me and joked that if we won, he'd hire a big muscley man to stir my Christmas cookie batter so I wouldn't have to use the mixer.

I wrote back and said that I could think of better things for said man to do (remember, I'm single).  I hit return several times and then typed:

Like clean my house!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario