Poll

What one task/chore would you hire someone to do?

Run miscellaneous errands
4 (2.5%)
Grocery shop
5 (3.1%)
Clean your house
130 (80.2%)
Driver (take you wherever/whenever)
15 (9.3%)
Laundry (wash, dry, fold)
8 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Voting closed: January 17, 2013, 11:43:07 AM

Author Topic: Would you hire someone to................  (Read 2885 times)

Margo

Re: Would you hire someone to................
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »
I'm envious of my friend in London who can choose to have her groceries delivered (or shop in-store).  That must be a godsend in a city where many are dependent on public transportation and don't want to lug groceries around.  She can also "shop" in the middle of the night, and set the delivery time at her convenience.  I'd wished I had that when I was very pregnant or dealing with a cranky infant.

You can do that in most urban places in Australia.  The delivery fee is only about $7 I believe.  Its apparently very handy but I shop in person.

I'd get someone to do the cleaning.  I'm so lazy.

I'm in the UK and all the major supermarkets offer online grocery shopping and delivery. I love And since it means I don't now end up shopping when I'm tired and hungry, I'm far less likely to buy stuff on impulse.  I pay £3 delivery charge, which is absolutely worth it! - I'd happily pay twice that to avoid having to go into a supermarket!
I still buy meat from the real butcher, though - it's far better quality and I can chose it myself.

I haven't voted as my answer would be 'yes, all of the above' Although some of them, such as driving and running errands would be 'sometimes' not 'always.

If I had to pick, it would probably be the cleaner (I don't think of online grocery shopping as paying for someone to shop for me - I guess because I still chose everything, make up the order etc.  It would be nice to have a magic grocery fairy who kept track of everything  and ordered stuff so I never ran out of anything, or had to make lists...

I would love to have someone clean for me, but there's only one of me and my house is small, so I find it hard to justify to myself. Maybe this year I shall be able to talk myself into it!

Miss March

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »
If I was truly wealthy and could afford to pamper myself? I'd have a private chef!
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
I LOVE doing laundry, to the point where I nearly went into withdrawals when my washer-dryer was broken for a few weeks. I just really enjoy it, weirdly.
I would pick the driver, because having to go everywhere by public transport kinda sucks.

I actually don't mind doing it either, EXCEPT I live in an apt, and don't have my own w/d. But when I'm house sitting, or at my mom's, i love it. I am slightly obsessed with clean clothes, and will wash stuff probably more frequently than it needs to. I cant totally see, if I ever have my own w/d, changing my sheets every few days, at least until the novelty wears off. I LOVE the smell of clean sheets and towels, but having to pay for it, and being limited in when I can schlep to the laundry room, I don't do them as often as I'd like.

nowhere

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »
I prefer to do my own laundry, but everything else I'd love to have done for me!

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »
Unfortunately, online grocery shopping and delivery just never caught on here in the US like it has in other countries. About 10 yrs or so ago, I used something called Peapod a few times, and was VERY pleased.  Then suddenly it just wasn’t available. ???

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Peapod is still available where I am.  They have partnered with local grocery chains rather than have their own warehouses.  Here in MD peapod is available via Giant but Safeway also offers an online shopping and grocery delivery service as well.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
Peapod is still available where I am.  They have partnered with local grocery chains rather than have their own warehouses.  Here in MD peapod is available via Giant but Safeway also offers an online shopping and grocery delivery service as well.

I think I heard or read that Peapod was still available in a few areas.  When I used it, they were servicing Kroger.  I also heard that a few other stores had online shopping and home delivery service but it didn't last long. 

Betelnut

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »
Where's yardwork?  If I could afford it, I'd love for someone to not only landscape my yard but do the weekly maintenance!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
I voted driver. I would love to have someone clean my house but I don't want anyone actually IN my house, which is, you know, sort of a problem.  :o
I'm with you on that...I promise not to come clean your house if you promise not to come clean mine... :P
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 05:25:16 PM »
I prefer to do my own laundry, but everything else I'd love to have done for me!

Same with me. I voted for "driver" because I don't drive, so that would be handy for helping me to do other things, like running errands and going grocery shopping. I would want a driver who also carried the groceries to the house for me, or at least helped. I loathe going grocery shopping but mostly that's due to the logistics of carrying the bags around (well, that's the biggest thing I loathe). I would have a chef, too, and someone to do yardwork, if I had a yard, which currently I don't. And I dislike cleaning my house, too... I'm okay doing laundry, though. And I might do "miscellaneous errands" myself, too, if they were so miscellaneous as to require much explanation or consultation.

So apparently, if money were no object, I would sit around my house doing my hobbies while other people maintained the place. With occasional breaks to do laundry and run errands. Well, one can dream... :D
~Lynn2000

Donovan

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »
If I had the money I would hire someone to cook for me and my husband.  Nice healthy simple meals.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
Where's yardwork?  If I could afford it, I'd love for someone to not only landscape my yard but do the weekly maintenance!

This! I wouldn't pay for any of the tasks listed, but I sure would pay someone to to do stuff around our property. We've got three acres and there is dead cactus, fallen branches, and the like that need to go, an old chicken coop that needs to be taken down, a fence that should be replaced, and a garden that needs to be dug. We just don't have the time.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
Only to clean my house.

I did pay a friend 50 bucks once to clean my old apartment. Too bad she no longer lives nearby.
I have pet mice!

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »
If I had that kind of money, all of it. If I have to choose only one, it would be either grocery shopping (LOATHE) or housecleaning (I enjoy some chores, but I hate dusting and dishes).

I mostly enjoy driving, but sometimes it would be really nice to have the option of a driver.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2013, 04:55:08 AM »
It's funny - right after reading this thread, I got a call from someone whose name I vaguely recognized.  Turns out DH and I had her come clean our house a few times back when we were first living together and both working (so at least six or seven years ago) - she was going through her files and came across my number and was just calling to say she got back into the cleaning business recently and was I looking for a cleaner?

She's willing to work hourly and I had been thinking about having someone do a one-time deep clean, so she's coming next week and I'll actually have a thoroughly clean house for the first time since Bittybartfast was born  ;D  I remember liking her quite a bit, so I hope I remember correctly!