Author Topic: Not Even Sure That's English  (Read 3759 times)

CakeBeret

Re: Not Even Sure That's English
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
I think, in general, it's not rude to communicate how you wish. But you have to be prepared for the consequences, that people will find it annoying or off-putting and that you may be ridiculed and/or ignored.

Personally, I skip over things like that. If something is so mangled that I can't process it, I don't waste my time trying. In certain situations I might make the comment "I don't even know what you're trying to say there."

As for the QUANTUM thing (which I've never heard of before) I would ask the person to speak in plain English, and then evaluate if it was really worth trying to communicate with the person.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
My original post addressed two scenarios:  on the Internet and in real life.  The Internet scenario was discussed initially then, the conversation turned to the real life scenario. 

Edit - I accidently deleted the rest of the post:

The bottom line is that I've recently come across both Internet postings and real life writings which are incomprehensible.  Not merely spelling mistakes or misuse of homonyms.  I'm talking about using a language that is not universally accepted (i.e. QUANTUM) or using extraordinarily flowerly language to express a simple idea but in so doing, the simple idea is lost in a sea of words and convoluated sentences.

Sure, on the Internet I can ignore but then I don't get to participate in the discussion. Or, in real life where I must participate, the OP gets offended when his original post is "misinterpretated."   (His words, not mine.  My response: Really, you accused me of "TREASON" [sic] and when I call you on it, you accuse me of misinterpretation?!  But I digress...).

The problem is that, in the examples you linked to, you are not dealing with rational people. The made-up language is both a result of their own internal confusion and some very deliberate intent to be obfuscatory -- the whole point is to not use common language because that has (imagined) legal implications for the speaker.  This is not something that you can treat as a rude/polite situation. This is something you treat as "don't engage the crazy."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

katycoo

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
using extraordinarily flowerly language to express a simple idea but in so doing, the simple idea is lost in a sea of words and convoluated sentences.

Depends on what you want your point to be.  Using an excessive amount of words may simply be a style which YOU find difficult to interpret.  And pointing this out may serve no real purpose but to be hurtful.

EG.  Flowerly is not a word, and you've used it twice now.  The correct word is 'flowery'.  Poor spelling irritates me, as does incorrect use of language.  However, is there any benefit to anyone in me pointing this out except to possibly publicly embarrass?  You tell me.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »
using extraordinarily flowerly language to express a simple idea but in so doing, the simple idea is lost in a sea of words and convoluated sentences.

Depends on what you want your point to be.  Using an excessive amount of words may simply be a style which YOU find difficult to interpret.  And pointing this out may serve no real purpose but to be hurtful.

EG.  Flowerly is not a word, and you've used it twice now.  The correct word is 'flowery'.  Poor spelling irritates me, as does incorrect use of language.  However, is there any benefit to anyone in me pointing this out except to possibly publicly embarrass?  You tell me.

Obviously, you *understood* that FOL meant "flowery." FOL is saying that she *doesn't* understand the convoluted language of these people. I think that is an important difference. If someone is trying to communicate with me, which is more rude—pretending to understand what the heck they're saying, or politely saying, "I'm not sure I understand; could you explain that in plainer language please?"
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
There's someone I encounter on an almost daily basis on another "fun" forum I frequent. They are not using some obscure dialect, have said they are a native speaker, and aren't using technical jargon. What she is doing is writing posts like "I have to say, that is, I wish to type, that my opinion is as follows: The sky, or should I say, the thing we see when we gaze upwards, is a pleasing shade of the color known as 'blue'." It's just the internet, so I ignore it, but still  ::)

I've given it a lot of thought, and I'm pretty sure their problem is one of the following:

A. She works for the Department of Redundancy Department and can't stop bringing her work home.
B. She's secretly an anguished, poetic, tween who just discovered the Thesaurus.
C. She's a robot with faulty programming.
Utah

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
This is a topic more suitable to a language forum than one on etiquette.

I recommend this one: http://forums.delphiforums.com/dictionary