Author Topic: Leave us alone please. Advice needed  (Read 2863 times)

elephantschild

Re: Leave us alone please. Advice needed
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
I guess you can use it as a learning experience, then. And count yourself lucky that you've learned about a specific company's hard-sell approach before you go to the buying phase. :)

(I know what I mean. I hate it myself. I've walked out of stores because of the hard-sell thing and once or twice told the seller exactly why I was doing so. Our go-to furniture store is exactly that because they make sure you know where to find them and leave leave you be. :D)
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

mmswm

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
One of the phrases that has worked for me is to put a huge smile on my face and nicely tell the salesperson "I appreciate that your job is to sell, and that your boss probably has a list of things he or she is requiring you to say to me, however, I'd like to look around the house/at the jewelry/through the racks quietly.  If you choose not to respect my wishes as a customer, I will exercise my right to purchase my house/necklace/clothing from a different Realtor/store.  I appreciate your cooperation."

I actually passed up on one of the most perfect apartments ever because of this hard sell approach.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »
It's harder to tell someone this when eating out. You need service, but you don't need someone hovering over you, taking your plate as soon as you're done or inquiring every few minutes if you'd like another drink, how your meal is etc. My now fiancÚ and I went to the Hard Rock Cafe in Sydney on our second date and we were continually bothered to the point where we couldn't carry out a conversation. The blaring music and bad food didn't help either. We didn't stay for dessert and went to nice pancake place instead.

Taking your plate so soon is a not very nice way of rushing someone out the door.

chibichan

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »
From my ( brief ) experience with telemarketing ....the fastest way to get a sales person off your back is to mention that you are unemployed .

Yeah , it's not true , but it works . I would announce at the beginning " Well , we don't actually have any money or credit - we just do this for fun . "

To say "We're just looking right now " is a challenge few salespeople can resist . What they hear is " You have a chance to talk us into it . "

If you are uncomfortable with even a small white lie , you can tell them " We already own a home , we just come to these open houses for remodeling ideas ."
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

mindicherry

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »

"There is no way in Hades that we can afford to or have the credit rating to buy right now, not with our recent bankruptcy...we are just daydreaming!" (even if you have an 800 credit rating - say this and realtors will FLEE from you!)

Hey - in theory - you will never see that realtor again - who cares of she thinks you are "just another deadbeat who can't pay their mortgage wasting her time"?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:16:44 PM by mindicherry »

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:07 AM »
I had the same experience looking at a demo suite for a new condo complex (still under construction) across from where I was renting. I was in NO WAY in a position to buy, but I was just trying to get an idea what was out there so that perhaps a few years down the road when I might be in a position to buy I'd have some idea what to expect.

I walked in and was greeted by someone, and explained all this: I am not in a position to buy, I'm just getting an idea what's out there. I was asked "how many bedrooms are you looking for" "what's your price range" and so forth. I have no price range! I have no money! I'm seeing what the prices ARE! (like I already told you). I stopped just short of telling them they were wasting their time on me. As I walked around, I was hovered over, and I couldn't just look; every feature was explained to me and followup questions were asked. Finally they tried to get me to walk out with a load of glossy flyers and specs. No!! I was actually taking a break from de-cluttering when I went to look. I do NOT want to walk out with more glossy flyers!!

So, lots of good suggestions here. Like telling them outright that you would like to look without distractions, and walking out if that isn't allowed to happen.