Author Topic: Little Disneyland mishap with a friend.  (Read 6313 times)

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
Little Disneyland mishap with a friend.
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:51:02 PM »
Good day to everyone.

My dearest friend "Rose" happens to be completely blind, and she is an avid white cane user. My Christmas gift to her was a day at Disneyland on Christmas. She loves Disneyland, but can't afford to go often. There was a bit of a bungle during our time there, and I'm still scratching my head over it.

We made our way through Tomorrowland on our way to Space Mountain. We were in an open area that wasn't crowded at the moment; as such Rose didn't need to choke up on her cane to avoid catching people's ankles or legs. Cane users doing a normal swing tap out an arc just a little wider than their shoulders and Rose's swing corresponds to the speed she walks. We both know the layout of Disneyland enough that she felt comfortable walking alongside me at a medium pace.

We passed the Star Tours ride as it was letting out. I warned Rose and we slowed down our pace as we veered away. Rose switched her grip to bring her cane closer. Then out of the blue a toddler on the opposite side of the ride exit darted out into our path. I only had enough time to call Rose's name before the inevitable happened. The little girl tripped right over Rose's cane and, like top heavy little ones do, she toppled. She skidded a little on her hands and knees on the cement. The poor thing burst into screams. Rose pulled her cane towards her body and cried out in alarm, asking me if the little girl was okay.

Before I answered, the child's mother(or grandmother, but I assume mother) rushed at us, screaming at Rose for tripping her child. Rose was frightened by the sudden voice and apologized again, yet this woman kept yelling at her. At that point I stepped in and informed the mother that it was a complete accident. Rose didn't hear the child dart out and it happened too fast for me to alert her in time. The child had plowed right into Rose's cane while it was in motion, and the cane swiped her foot out from under her. An experienced walker can do something to catch that missed step, but little ones still learning don't have that skill. It was so unfortunate.

Rose apologized again and offered to pay for any medical attention the child needed. The child's mother refused the offer, turned to me and told me I should control my friend better and thank you so much for ruining her child's Christmas present. She stormed off with her still sobbing daughter to collect her diaper bag and stroller, giving us filthy looks the whole while.

Rose is a sweet, sensitive lady, and the encounter had her in tears. She thought the child had broken a bone with the way the mother screamed at her. I assured her the toddler wasn't seriously hurt, that the worst injury was skinned hands and probably bruised knees. The poor dear spent the rest of the day worrying about that child so much she folded up her cane and asked me guide her.

Dear Ehell, was there anything else we could have or should have done to placate the angry mother, or should we just let the bygones be bygones once she launched into yelling?

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I don’t like the color..."

onyonryngs

Re: Little Disneyland mishap with a friend.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
You ran across a mom who probably was reacting to her child crying - or one of those SS people everyone talks about.  Rose was in no way at fault and there wasn't anything more to be done.  You're fine.

exitzero

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
The mother should have been apologizing to your friend for not having control over her daughter.
Your friend did nothing wrong.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
The mother should have been apologizing to your friend for not having control over her daughter.

This. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
"Control your friend"? Just those words are really upsetting me. The implication is that Rose needs to be under someone's "control" because she is blind.

It is clear that the mother thinks that a person with a disability is not capable of being out in public by him/herself. The mother's view of disabilities colored her thinking and reactions to the entire event. She is a biased, prejudiced person.

Rose did nothing wrong. The child did nothing wrong. What happened was an accident.

Instead of accepting that accidents happen, especially in crowded places where over-excited children are running around, the mother chose to blame an innocent bystander, Rose, and to yell at the OP.

I'm sorry this happened. I'm sorry Rose's special day out was spoiled. But neither the Tardis or Rose should waste another second worrying about this incident.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »
 :o

If it were me, I'd be mortified that my kid could have hurt your friend!  I'm sorry that woman screamed at you and, IMHO, neither of you did anything wrong. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »

POD.

Two year olds can be hard to see by sighted people too when not properly monitored by their parents. The cane should have alerted the mother.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
You know, it is Disney, so I think the reality is that there probably are kids running loose a step or two.  In general I think parents should keep kids in hand and at Disney I do think that parents should have kids in hand for the most part but to expect parents keep kids right next to them seems a little extreme, just like expecting that a cane not stretch out at all, if that makes any sense.

NyaChan

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
That happened to me once actually, and you are absolutely right that while my shoe was ripped off, I was able to catch my step.  It was just an unfortunate accident that it was a little kid who couldn't do that.  But you know what? People fall all the time for a wide variety of reasons and the mom was being rude in her inability to accept that it was just an accident.  I particularly don't like that she indicated that Rose needed to be controlled - she is a human being and needs no such thing!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:42:58 PM by NyaChan »

strawbabies

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
That woman should have been holding the little girl by the hand, even at Disney.  There is too still too much opportunity for a little one to get hurt there, especially if she ever ran out in front of the trolley thing, the antique looking car, or one of the horses on Main Street. 

For her to accuse Rose of deliberately tripping her kid was just low, as was saying Rose needed to be "controlled."  She should have controlled her kid, and is the only one in the wrong here. 

yokozbornak

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
Disney is the last place you want to let your child run loose because it's so easy to lose them. What happened was an unfortunate accident that could have been avoided if the mom had been doing her job.  (I know how hard it is to hold onto little ones because I have two myself, but I wouldn't think of blaming someone else if my child ran off and then tripped because they were where they shouldn't be.)

MayHug

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »
Something similar happened to my son at Disneyland. Only he is just a big guy, big and tall and he was carrying his own toddler. He didn't see the toddler dart in front of him and stepped on/tripped the child. It was a total accident and he felt really bad about it, but the mom went ballistic. She screamed at him til he finally had to just walk away. He felt bad the rest of the day for possibly injuring the child.

I don't think Rose or you need to give it any more thought. Accidents are called that for a reason. There isn't always a person at fault.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
Accidents happen -- you were great, Rose was fine, the lady was out of line. Toddlers fall down -- they trip over canes, they trip over their own feet, they trip over imaginary lines in the street. Mom needs to get a grip, both metaphorically and physically. Disneyland at Christmas is no time to let your small child run loose. (Hint: It's their busiest time of year -- much worse than summer or spring break.)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Snowy Owl

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
"Control your friend"? Just those words are really upsetting me. The implication is that Rose needs to be under someone's "control" because she is blind.

This so much.  It's a horrible thing to imply that a blind person needs to be "controlled."  Accidents happen and not everything is someone's fault.  I think Rose needs not to beat herself up over this.  Children are usually pretty resilient and I'd expect the little girl was fine and forgot all about it when she hit the next ride. 
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
And the thing with these sorts of moms (there is more than one of them) is that their "going ballistic" probably ruins the kid's day more than the actual injury did.

Those of us who are able to control our own reactions better end up with the opportunity to see this--we focus on comforting our child and helping them cope with the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune," and then the only thing they remember is how much fun they had.

THESE kids in these stories are going to remember that they got hurt, because their mothers' scenes will have ironed it into their brains. And I'm sure these moms will go on and one about it as well, further cementing the negative.

But I think these parents don't even realize the damage they do--all they can see and react to is their own fear and distress. It overpowers them.

Their loss. And their kids', of course.

Oh, and thank you, mom, for not controlling your kid and therefore ruining Rose's Christmas present!