Author Topic: Accidentally stealing a parking spot  (Read 3961 times)

CakeBeret

Accidentally stealing a parking spot
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:19:27 PM »
I hope I can describe this correctly. Please feel free to ask for clarification. :)

I went to Chipotle for lunch today (yum!). The parking lot is cramped and poorly laid-out. I pulled into the lot behind a Large Truck, and spotted an empty parking space. This space is notoriously difficult to get into, but since I have a compact car, I can manage it fairly easily. I noticed that Large Truck drove past the space and then stopped; it appeared that Large Truck was waiting for another car to pull out.

So I maneuvered into this spot, and as I was pulling into it, I noticed the Large Truck driver staring at me and giving me a dirty look. I then realized that, with the way Large Truck was positioned, he had probably pulled ahead in order to attempt backing into the space. So essentially, I swung into the space while Large Truck was preparing to back into it, making me a parking spot thief. I was already in the space when I realized that I had probably stolen his parking spot, so I went ahead and parked there, but I felt guilty.

What is the right thing to do in this situation? Should I have vacated the spot when I realized I had stolen it? Am I overthinking this? ;)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

fountainsoflettuce

Re: Accidentally stealing a parking spot
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
Once you realized you stole his spot, you should have pulled out and let him have it.  The truck also should have immediately put the truck in reverse, so you would see his lights and realized sooner than he was backing into the space.  Did he have his reverse lights on before you pulled in?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »
I couldn't disagree more.  You are not obligated to know his intentions and manuevering to back in maked things more complicated in some ways. You certainly don't have to give up the space for him.  He has a big vehicle and was backing in - both choices that make it tougher for him to get a space but choices nonetheless.

CakeBeret

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »
Did he have his reverse lights on before you pulled in?

I don't think so. When he stopped, there was a car in front of him pulling out, so it looked like he was waiting for that car.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
He also has a turn signal. I'm guessing he didn't turn that on. And did he turn the truck at a slight angle before stopping, to make backing up easier? That also might have tipped you off that he intended to back up.

I don't think you needed to back out of the space.

strawbabies

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
If he was going to pull into that space, he should've put his turn signal on to indicate he was pulling in, even if he drove past it to get in backwards. 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
You were fine. If he didn't have his turn signal on and his reverse lights were also not on you really had no way of knowing what his intentions were. For that matter you still don't. You think he was giving you a dirty look for stealing "his" parking spot. For all you know, you might look like someone he dislikes, hence the dirty look. Or maybe you were just misreading his expression.

In any event, you are not a mind reader. If he doesn't give proper indications that he was going for that spot then you certainly did nothing wrong.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

NyaChan

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »
Truck driver should have put their lights on.  When I drive past a spot and there is a car behind me, the only way to let them know the spot is taken is to signal in some way that I'm trying to get into it.  If there isn't enough room because they have pulled up too close, well that's just too bad for me and I drive to another spot.  You were fine to take the spot & maybe apologize later if they came up to you to complain.

CakeBeret

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
He also has a turn signal. I'm guessing he didn't turn that on. And did he turn the truck at a slight angle before stopping, to make backing up easier? That also might have tipped you off that he intended to back up.

I don't think you needed to back out of the space.

The parking lot is shaped funny, so the truck was already at an angle. From his position, he could have either pulled ahead or pulled back into the spot. He did not use a turn signal.

nuit93

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
I'm with the others who say he should have had his turn signal on, that's what I do when I'm waiting for a space.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »
If he didn't have his turn signal or his reverse lights on, you had no way to know that he was intending to back into that spot.  For all you know, the dirty look may have been because he thought you were too close to him as you pulled into the spot.  Or he was annoyed you could park in a spot he couldn't get into.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
I drive a very big truck.  Parking, especially in tight lots can be a trial.  As such I always use my signals and get into proper gear (in this case reverse), and if possible I make eye contact with other drivers, to let them know I'm aware they are there and it seems to let them know I'm about to do something that might affect them.  If the truck driver did so, yes you were rude.  But if they didn't, the fault is solely on them.  Lights on vehicles are how drivers communicate with other drivers.  Its your responsibility to look around and see what other vehicles are doing and indicating they are about to do, and to act on the information available.  If no information is available, well then you have no input from other drivers on how to act.

crella

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
I would pull right out again. Once I didn't realize it till a bit afterwards, and I apologized to the woman whose space I took. I just didn't see her. I hate it when people do it to me!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »
What exactly would make it more the other person's space more than OP's space, other than the nasty face?  He didn't signal, so that is no claim.  The idea that it is "my space" that somebody magically took is really flummoxes me.  It strikes me as astoundingly snowflakey in a lot of cases. Sure he wanted it- doesn't mean it was or should have been his.

Joeschmo

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
Once somebody drives past a space it's fairgame for me.