Author Topic: Funny chance observations  (Read 1435 times)

Jocelyn

Funny chance observations
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »
Funny things happen all the time- what are some of the scenes you've just happened upon?

Today, I was at Walmart, trying to select a calendar from an end-row display, and a young couple passed me and walked about 6 feet down the aisle, when they fell to their knees and began laughing hysterically. So of course I had to ask. ::)
She had reached into her coat pocket and pulled out a tissue, and her debit card flipped out, flew through the air, and disappeared. Fortunately, her young man was a few steps behind her, and saw it, although he wasn't sure where it landed. So after laughing for awhile, and assuring me, 'We just went to the bank and got the card! Not 5 minutes ago!'
The card was eventually located, amid a display of Post-it notes, where it had neatly slipped between stacks of notes, nearly invisibly.

chibichan

Re: Funny chance observations
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
I have some wonderful moments for hilarity here in Japan , mostly involving bad English .

My latest one was last night , driving down a road I have been on thousands of times before. Traffic stopped at just the right instant for me to turn my head and see a large hand painted sign on a building door that read :

Total Nail Salon
One Of These Days Opening
Hours : 9 AM to 5 PM
Tel : XXX-XXXX

I drive by stores almost every week with names like these :

Various ( a motorcycle parts shop )

Psychopath ( the same )

Worthless ( a second hand store )

Something ( I have no idea )

Famous Crap ( ladies clothing )

Pub Miss You

Car Dog Yokohama ( used car lot - sadly closed last year )

Just when I thought I'd seen it all , I discover a new treasure  ;D .

The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

TylerBelle

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:53:36 PM »
As I waited in the parking lot while picking up my mom from work once, I noticed a car pulling up with one of her coworkers in it, along with I guessed his wife/girlfriend. Several minutes passed when finally he got out of his side and she from hers, and one of them, don't remember which, walked around to the other's side and they stood talking for a few more minutes. Then he scurried away from the car and crossed the lanes in front of the store, and as soon as he got to the door his wife literally screamed, "Bye, honey, I love you!!!"

It was a really sweet endearment, though with her delivery and the timing, as they'd spent all that time in and by the car more or less saying goodbye, and she waited until he was quite a distance away to yell, it just made me laugh. Which I did after she'd driven away.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

sevenday

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:04:31 AM »
Re: the I LOVE YOU!! thing - I've seen it too.  A coworker informed me that his wife does that too, as often as she can, just because she knows it embarrasses him.  Not embarrassment as in "this is my hill to die on" but embarrassment as in "oh god, my coworkers are never going to let me live this down."  And indeed we didn't.   We teased him, good-naturedly, about how he had to hurry home to his loving wife, etc.   He took it in good humor and returned the favor when he could. (There was a memorable incident with another coworker's laundry...)

bloo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:12 AM »
I have some wonderful moments for hilarity here in Japan , mostly involving bad English .

My latest one was last night , driving down a road I have been on thousands of times before. Traffic stopped at just the right instant for me to turn my head and see a large hand painted sign on a building door that read :

Total Nail Salon
One Of These Days Opening
Hours : 9 AM to 5 PM
Tel : XXX-XXXX

I drive by stores almost every week with names like these :

Various ( a motorcycle parts shop )

Psychopath ( the same )

Worthless ( a second hand store )

Something ( I have no idea )

Famous Crap ( ladies clothing )

Pub Miss You

Car Dog Yokohama ( used car lot - sadly closed last year )

Just when I thought I'd seen it all , I discover a new treasure  ;D .

Off topic: I think you'll probably enjoy David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed In Flames. Humorous collection of essays and the title is based on a smoking sign he saw while in Japan (the largest essay in the book). There is some cursing, though.

OP: I see something amusing and maybe a little sad every week. We live across the street from a national fast food chain and this guy drives up to the parking lot in a decent car and dressed nicely enough, walks towards the drive-thru window and bends down as he gets to the window so no one inside will see him and to facilitate looking for loose change. Sometimes he scores, sometimes he doesn't because there's always employees out there cleaning the lot and changing garbage bags. I can't imagine he makes enough money to pay for his gas so maybe it's a sign of a disorder (sad) but to see a well-dressed man in a nice car sneak up to the drive-thru, every week does make me and the hubs smile while we're sitting outside.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
We live corner to corner  with the playground for a parochial school.

We were out cleaning up the garden last fall and heard:

"Let's sing the Baseball Song!" at which point a lot of little voices started singing, "Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light................................."

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
We live corner to corner  with the playground for a parochial school.

We were out cleaning up the garden last fall and heard:

"Let's sing the Baseball Song!" at which point a lot of little voices started singing, "Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light................................."

This is too cute!  Of course in the Nascar world that song ends with "Gentlemen start your engines". :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »
Back in the library we subscribed to 'Egypt Today'.  Like the 'Engrish' examples quoted above, some of the ads were hilarious. 

'Pitz crackers'.

An upscale menswear store called 'Concrete'. 

'Saggy' sportswear. 

'Johnny Darkie Blue'.  This was supposed to be a scotch-like drink. 

BarensMom

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »
My DH and I were watching TV last night.  The CeeLo Green E-Diets commercial came on, followed by a Hershey's chocolate one.  I've noticed that happens frequently - another time a commercial for Nutrisystem and the glycemic index, then up pops the McRib.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
I was sitting in my car in the school parking lot, waiting for DD to get out. Two ladies were chatting a few feet in front of my car and the one with her back to me started doing that butt exercise where you squeeze your buns, relax, squeeze, relax. She was wearing a nicely fitter dress and you could see each "rep" clearly. This went on for several minutes. I'm sure she had no idea anyone was behind her and I literally bit my lip to keep from laughing aloud in case she might have heard me and been embarrassed. I had a book and I swear I tried to keep my eyes on it but I admit - the buns were distracting.  ;D

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
I've observed this twice now.

Years ago, I met my mother at work for some reason and was walking to the elevator with her to descend from the 17th floor. On the way there, she pulled her car keys from her purse and when the elevator doors opened and we started to walk in, she fumbled the keys and...dropped them right through the crack between the floor of the elevator and the regular floor. They went 17 stories straight down the elevator shaft. A building maintenance guy retrieved them and told her she wouldn't believe the stuff he found down there on a regular basis.

A few weeks ago I was walking with a co-worker on the third floor of my building. She dropped a paper she was carrying and it proceeded to float gracefully through the air, doing a couple of loops, then...shot straight through the crack between the floor of the elevator and the regular floor.

I'm always very careful with my belongings when I take the elevator.

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »
Inevitably, even when I was a kid, we say the Pledge of Allegeance (US flag), and a few people mumble 'Amen' out of habit. (I live in the Bible Belt.)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »
I was sitting in my car in the school parking lot, waiting for DD to get out. Two ladies were chatting a few feet in front of my car and the one with her back to me started doing that butt exercise where you squeeze your buns, relax, squeeze, relax. She was wearing a nicely fitter dress and you could see each "rep" clearly. This went on for several minutes. I'm sure she had no idea anyone was behind her and I literally bit my lip to keep from laughing aloud in case she might have heard me and been embarrassed. I had a book and I swear I tried to keep my eyes on it but I admit - the buns were distracting.  ;D
I saw that in a bookstore as we sat waiting for an author's reading to begin.  This woman standing in front of a shelf of books with her back to us kept clenching her glutes thinking no one would notice.  I know that it is standard to tell people they can do it while standing in grocery line or anything and no one will notice.   :o
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 04:30:26 PM »
I think this is sweet...
My older sister went to first and second grade in Catholic school before transferring to a regular public school in our new hometown.  She continued the practice of making a little cross at the top of all her school papers,  puzzling the teacher. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
In the parking lot during a slightly windy day, a stray cart seemed to follow alongside our car, no matter how fast or slow we were going.  It was funny and creepy at the same time.