Author Topic: Hypothetical Airplane Question  (Read 4961 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Hypothetical Airplane Question
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 10:18:10 PM »
Couldn't they ask to move to a different seat?

mrkitty

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:31 PM »
If the request is on moral grounds, I might mention that they are free to ask the flight attendant to relocate them away from my offending, immoral presence, and commence enjoyment of my beverage.

Their moral beliefs have no bearing on my moral beliefs. They are free not to violate them by abstaining from alcohol.  :D
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
The request is on moral grounds.

Mindicherry and I would be great flying companions  ;D  I wouldn't comply with the request unless, like others have mentioned, it was a self-preservation thing.  Since it's a matter of someone's personal moral code, I would go ahead and have my wine and some high altitude serenity.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
If it were a stranger, I'd ask why, and base my next actions accordingly (Not a nervous flyer, and you said the request was polite)

Since I very rarely fly unless it is military business, the person next to me would be a coworker. I'd just tell them to shove off, because the TSA confiscated all my good drugs :P (All meant in love, of course. You try to choose a seatmate that you are cool swapping spit with. Sleeping people with sleeping pills on planes sometimes equals drooling on your next door neighbor)
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »
A question, very sincerely meant: Why would "I'm a recovering alcoholic" be a reasonable response? Recovering alcoholics know they're likely going to have to be around alcohol at some point, and asking a stranger who just happens to be near you to not have a perfectly legal drink seems ... I don't know, very SS ... to me.

I would probably ask why, but I can't imagine a response that would make me change my mind. (Except "the smell of alcohol makes me vomit," which would in part be self-preservation. :))

If someone said they were an alcoholic and requested I not drink, I would assume they might be a very short term recovering alcoholic. And it could be that they had used alcohol in the past to calm nerves.  If they asked nicely I am going to assume that it really is critical for them and comply.  I've met many alcoholics and none in my experience has made unreasonable requests so I'd figure this one wasn't either.

mrkitty

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »
Heh. I might toast them in congratulations for their high moral standards. But in respect of them, I wouldn't offer to buy them a drink.  ;D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »
If moral reasons then I'd suggest they ask to be moved to another seat. 

thedudeabides

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
I would ignore them and enjoy my drink.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 10:29:50 PM »

Yeah, then I'd definitely just shrug and carry on.  Alcohol is not against my moral standards, and really those are the only morals I care about.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
I would not comply for any reason, especially if it is for their moral reasons.  By complying, I would be compromising mine.  No one has the right to make this request of their seatmate on a flight.

OK, but what would you say/do in response?  Would you blatantly ignore, pretend like you didn't hear, or actually say something?

You're not making *them* drink, neither are you in their house, what morals would you be violating?

They could simply believe drinking alcohol is a sin and want nothing to do with it, not even witnessing it, I don't know.

Not my problem.

Seriously - I could request MANY things on Moral Grounds.  I could request to never be sat next to an adulterer, idolator, worshipper of contrary religions, a lady not wearing a Muslim "beekeeper" outfit (whatever you call it).

Just because someone has a moral objection to something doesn't make it my obligation to please them. Why aren't they worrying about my desire/need to have a Chardonnay so that I don't have a panic attack when flying through the air at 700 mph in a metal tube?

Not saying it is your problem, but how would you respond to them?  What would you say/do?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »
Let's say instead of alcohol they asked me to not eat meat next to them for moral reasons or to cover my head or anything else.  I wouldn't be snide or snarky I would explain that perhaps we had different perspectives on that moral issue but I had no wish to cause them a crisis and while I did not intend to alter my behavior I was also not offended by their moral views and I would understand if they wanted to call and see if they could get a different seat.  (If the attendent wanted to move me to first class instead i would comply because that is just the kind of cooperative person I am).

Now if we are talking alcohol I don't honestly think I can imagine ever wanting a drink on a plane so much that I would pay for it and drink it next to somebody who disapproved and radiated that to me.  The cost just wouldn't justify the benefit.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
I think I'd just be startled and say something like "Excuse me?" I suppose there are a few valid reasons someone might give that would make me agree, but I would think those would be stated with the original request. "Please don't drink, the smell of alcohol makes me ill." Someone just saying "Please don't drink" would not impress me.

mrkitty

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 10:38:54 PM »
I think I imagine the conversation would go like this:

Me (to FA): A Bloody Mary, please.

Seatmate: You shouldn't drink that.

Me: (Accepting drink from FA)

Seatmate: It's immoral.

Me: "..."

Me: (glug, glug, glug). Ahhh.

Me: FA, may I have another, please?

Seatmate: How dare you! I told you I want no part of this. It's immoral and I cannot accept this.

Me: (Accepting second delicious cocktail) FA, I believe my neighbor would like to move to another seat.

Me: (glug, glug)

Seatmate: Option A: Either gets relocated by FA or Option B: Does not get relocated. Begins loud, obnoxious lecture on all the reasons I will go to a dark and desolate location upon my death.

Me: (Chugging down third cocktail): Plugs in noise cancelling earphones.

Me: Relaxes.

Seatmate: Continues loud, angry rant about immorality of consuming alcohol.

Me: Continues to relax.

Seatmate: Escalates angry tirade.

FA: Orders seatmate to calm down

Me: Attempts to read book, while stealing glances at scene unfolding in aisle.

Seatmate: Continues emotional meltdown.

Me: Staring with incredulity at absurd scene unfolding in front of me.

FA: Calls for additional FA's. Places plastic handcuffs on seatmate. Relocates seatmate to quiet seat in isolated part of cabin.

Me: Returns to book. Requests another cocktail.

Aircraft eventually lands.

Me: Deplanes. Continues on to destination.

Seatmate: Is taken to dark and desolate location in airport to await questioning.

Me: Have interesting story for new friends during hotel's Happy Hour.

;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:02:22 PM by mrkitty »

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:54 PM »
Okay, mrkitty's post cracked me up ;D   

In all honesty, if this actually happened to me on a plane I don't know that I would have a tidy response ready.  I would probably say "Sorry, nervous flyer" and get my drink.  I know on ehell we discuss not JADEing, but in the moment I can see myself saying something along those lines.  Alternatively, I might just say "oh" and continue to get my drink.  I wouldn't engage any further with them if they continued to make an issue out of it.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
OK, but what would you say/do in response?  Would you blatantly ignore, pretend like you didn't hear, or actually say something?

I think a calm, polite "no thank you" would fit nicely to the request.  repeated if necessary.

"please don't drink alcohol"
"no thank you"

"Its immoral"
"no thank you"