Author Topic: Hypothetical Airplane Question  (Read 4893 times)

Lynnv

Re: Hypothetical Airplane Question
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 05:46:35 AM »
I'm pretty sure my only response would be a shrug.

The time that someone asked me not to have a drink on an airplane because he didn't like people drinking around his kid, that was my response.  I wasn't entirely sure what to say to his request without saying something not eHell approved, so I just shrugged.   And ordered a second drink later in the flight. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 05:56:49 AM »
I would ignore them and enjoy my drink.

Ditto. 

Their moral convictions are irrelevant.

miranova

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
Um, wow. 

There are a lot of things in this world that I find immoral; I was not aware that I was allowed to ask perfect strangers to stop being so immoral.  Can you imagine?  "Excuse me sir, I see that you have a wedding ring and I don't think that woman you are flirting with is your wife.  Can you please stop flirting with her?  It's against my moral values". 

Pretty sure that's not going to get me very far. 

The only morals anyone can and should control are their own.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:06 AM »
"Why?"

Because the reason would make a difference. Any other answer than a whispered, "I'm in AA," or some such would be followed by a 'I'm afraid that won't be possible.'

The reason would make no difference. It's not a valid request, so it gets no consideration.
Words mean things.

bloo

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
"Why?"

Because the reason would make a difference. Any other answer than a whispered, "I'm in AA," or some such would be followed by a 'I'm afraid that won't be possible.'

The reason would make no difference. It's not a valid request, so it gets no consideration.

Under the parameters Mental Magpie gave (politely asked, 2-4 hour flight) I would consider it. As a PP mentioned, I might not enjoy the drink as much if I decided to go ahead and imbibe.

I took six 8-9 hour flights last year. Maybe not so much on one of those.

Victim Of Fate

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
I don't think I would ever comply with the request, even if the person was a recovering alcoholic or was nauseated by the smell of alcohol. I'm afraid that's just one of the drawbacks of taking public transportation.

I would probably as why, more through curiosity than anything else. If I were told that it was because the other passenger had moral concerns about alcohol, I would simply say "That's not my concern."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »
See, I can't imagine the person beside me potentially puking not becomi.g my concern. And I definitely don't want to invest just to have it happen.

onyonryngs

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »
I'd ignore the request & put my headphones back in and drink.

gollymolly2

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
See, I can't imagine the person beside me potentially puking not becomi.g my concern. And I definitely don't want to invest just to have it happen.

What? Very few airlines will serve you enough liquor to get drunk, let alone to get so drunk you have to vomit.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Unless the smell was likely to make them vomit, I'd decline. As for moral grounds, forget it. Good scotch is never immoral. *g*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

squeakers

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »

What? Very few airlines will serve you enough liquor to get drunk, let alone to get so drunk you have to vomit.

I think Sharnita meant the person objecting due to the smell of alcohol making them sick would maybe get sick.  If they got sick.. I would get sick .. upchuck bag or not the sound and smell would trigger my gag reflex.  So if they said the smell of booze would make them hurl I would probably not drink just to keep the possibility of an Airplane! skit breaking out.  Or I would alert the FA and one of us would get moved (have never flown but an acrophobic so..)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

gollymolly2

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
Oh I understand now - thanks Squeakers.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »
Yes, I was responding to the idea that somebody might react to the information that alcohol fumes make their seatmate nauseated with "That's not my concern".

ilrag

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
Honestly if some one asked me to not drink on an airplane because it offended their morals?  I'd laugh. Pretty hard. Not to be rude, it's just what happens when people make totally out of left field remarks/requests to me in general.

I assume if some one has managed to get to an air plane (left their house/neighborhood, managed some kind of transportataion, went through the airport, walked past an airport bar, ect) they know there are people in the world who have a different moral code.  They also know that imposing your morals on others isn't something that's well received.  They're either the most naive person alive or looking for a confrontation.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
I suppose there are reasons this might be a relevant request. If someone said to me either "I'm sorry, but the smell would make me extremely ill," or even "I'm just out of rehab, and I would like to ask you, as a great favour, not to tempt me right now when I'm very vulnerable," I would certainly consider it.

"Because I consider drinking alcohol immoral?" Sorry, not a reason.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."