Author Topic: Holiday cookies/treats  (Read 1006 times)

OhHai!

Holiday cookies/treats
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
I hope I'm doing this right - this is my first post & first new thread in this "Cookbook Project".  You know those special things that you make only on a certain holiday?  (The ones you'd love to eat all year, but it just wouldn't be right to do it at another time?)  Here are two of my favorite treats - both done around Christmas.  (Thought of the candy canes while reading the cookie thread, and wanted to share, but thought they went better in a holiday thread.)

Candy Cane Cookies
(The prep work is long, but the results are delicious.)

One white batch  (we usually make 4 of each color in the end)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (always use Parkay(c) margarine, and never notice a difference)
1/2 cup shortening (always use Crisco(c) )
1 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Mixing:
Cream butter & shortening (mix/blend well, until creamy).  Add sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix well.  Add in salt and flour, mix well.
(My directions actually don't have any mixing instructions.  We just usually add in order to the mixer, mixing well between each ingredient.)

Put in sealed container and refrigerate.  (Ziploc bag works well)

One red batch

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (always use Parkay(c) margarine, and never notice a difference)
1/2 cup shortening (always use Crisco(c) )
1 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla (opt - see note)
red food color
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Mixing:
Special note for this batch: you need this to be a really red color.  Often you use almost a teaspoon or more of color, which thins out the dough.  So we will usually omit the vanilla from this batch.  Since it's in the white, you don't notice the lack of it in the cookie at the end.

Cream butter & shortening (mix/blend well, until creamy).  Add sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix well.  Add in salt and flour, mix well.
(My directions actually don't have any mixing instructions.  We just usually add in order to the mixer, mixing well between each ingredient.)

Put in sealed container and refrigerate.  (Ziploc bag works well)

Cookie Making
To make the candy canes, remove both colors from the fridge.  (We usually remove a small portion, maybe one batch worth, of each color at a time).  Let warm slightly, to ease in working.  Take one color, and form into ropes/snakes (maybe about 1/4-1/2 inch diameter).  Take the other color and form into ropes.  Cut ropes so that they are about 6-8 inches long (depends on preference)
Take one white and one red, twist together, and then curl one end.  Voila!  A candy cane.  Place about 8 on a cookie sheet (depends on size).

Cook at 375 degrees F for about 9 minutes.

Church Windows
(much shorter prep work)

Ingredients:
12 ounces chocolate chips (semi-sweet, like you'd use in chocolate chip cookies - we use Tollhouse)
1/2 cup butter (again, we use Parkay(c) margarine, and don't notice a difference)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional - I actually have never added them)
1 7 ounce package coconut
1 10-1/2 ounce package small colored marshmallows

Melt chocolate chips and butter (preferably in a double boiler).  Cool slightly (enough to not melt the marshmallows).  Add nuts and marshmallows and mix well until all marshmallows are coated.  Divide mixture in half.

Prepare two pieces of waxed paper.  Lay out two sheets of waxed paper maybe 1 1/2 to 2 feet long.  Pour out 1/2 bag of coconut onto each sheet, and spread into rectangle about 1 foot long.

Put 1/2 of marshmallow/chocolate mixture onto coconut and roll into log, covering with coconut on all sides.  Roll in waxed paper, fold ends to secure, and chill for 24 hours.

Slice into 1/3 inch slices.  (I just estimate.)  Serve and enjoy.

The slices look a little like a stained glass window, thus the name.

OhHai!

Re: Holiday cookies/treats
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »
I just saw the Christmas cookie thread further down (I think third page).  How would I move this to that thread??  I saw where I could "move topic", but that seems to just be able to move it to a different forum.

OhHai!

Re: Holiday cookies/treats
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD - RECIPES ARE BEING EDITED

(Placing in Holiday Cookies)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:10:25 PM by Friend of Eeyore »