Author Topic: Please don't lay your purse on my credenza.../Update post #33  (Read 7664 times)

lowspark

Please don't lay your purse on my credenza.../Update post #33
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »
I recently had a sort of credenza custom built to hold all my TV-related accessories (dvd player, media computer, receiver, etc). It sits just below my TV which is mounted on the wall. There is nothing on the surface. It's a beautiful cherry wood finish and it needs no embellishment. I like it the way it looks, bare.

For some reason, it seems to attract purses & other paraphernalia when guests visit. It just happens to be at a spot where you have to pass it to come into the center of the family room so I guess it just looks like a nice logical place to lay your stuff down. The trouble is that I don't want people putting stuff there not only for the reason that it ruins the look, but also because I'd like to avoid inadvertent damage by buckles or buttons or other rough parts of purses, coats, etc.

What is a nice way to tell people to either not put their stuff down there in the first place (If I'm fast enough to be able to intercede) or to please remove it? I don't want to be rude and SS and act like my furniture is off limits or anything like that, and honestly, they can put their stuff pretty much anywhere else. It's just that I'd like to protect that one piece. I've asked people to move their stuff and with good friends, it's easy as I know they're fine with it. But recently I had a group of new friends over and I just didn't know how to say something to them without sounding creepy so I just let it go and their stuff stayed there making me uncomfortable but I just didn't want to sound rude.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:02:33 AM by lowspark »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Please don't lay your purse on my credenza...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »
Have a place just as easy and convenient for them to put their purse (not the floor!) so they are inclined to use that.  And you might want to get used to saying, as you greet them "hello!  Here let me take your purse and put that down for you..." so you can control where it goes.

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »
Tell them where they *can* put their things. Make a designated spot for purses so it's more "where purses/coats/thingamabobs go" rather than "don't put things on the credenza".

"Here, Mary, we can hang your coat here, and you can put your purse here on the hall table. Thanks!"

"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »
This reminds me a bit of my MIL, who was lecturing everyone who came into her kitchen to bring their place setting from Thanksgiving. She corrected them all for laying the silverware in the sink OR on the counter--but where else were they supposed to put it? If she'd put a bowl or something in the "clearance" space, people would have used it.

(I'm NOT saying you were lecturing or anything)

So since experience has shown you that this space is attractive to people, find them a different space. If you can provide something in advance, that's great.

And if a *group* is coming over, put a vase smack in the middle, just for the day.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »
Could you put some felt pads on a couple of knick-knacks to put in the spaces that seem like a logical landing pad for people's stuff? They wouldn't shove things around to make room, would they? Of course, the best would be the guest room/master bed landing place.

For our dining table, I know that when certain people come I need to just put the table pads and a tablecloth on to protect it. I love seeing the cherry wood with a perfect finish, too. It's a matte finish so looks almost as natural as your credenza does. For our buffet with the same finish, I'm pretty good about announcing that the guest room is available for their stuff. One person was uneasy about leaving her purse unguarded, so I pointed to an empty corner. Of course food and hostess offerings go to the kitchen.

Then there was the time my BIL leaned over the corner of a buffet with one sheet of paper and a ballpoint pen in hand ready to take notes about something. Disaster averted, and the poor guy got quite a lecture. My heart still sinks when I think about it. It's not really that important, but I am certainly glad I don't have to look at those indentations every day!

I'm like you, I think. I have just a couple of pieces of fine furniture and I love looking at the natural beauty and appreciating the workmanship that went into making them. (As well as remember how hard we saved for them.)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
Do you have room for a coat rack, wall hooks, or a basket in a convenient place?  When company is expected, hang an old purse or bag there so they can see where their purses should go.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »
And if a *group* is coming over, put a vase smack in the middle, just for the day.

I concur with this. That, or set a framed picture or some other figurine there just for that so the space becomes unavailable. You can remove it once the company is gone.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »
Excellent suggestions, thanks!! I really don't have another sort of landing space available which really does contribute to the problem. I think a coat rack or wall rack in my entry way is the ideal solution, so off I go, shopping!!

The positive "please hang your purse/coat here" instead of the negative "don't put it here" is exactly what I was looking for but I just couldn't figure out how to work it.

Thanks, y'all!

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »

I concur with this. That, or set a framed picture or some other figurine there just for that so the space becomes unavailable. You can remove it once the company is gone.

I think a combination of putting something on the space and having another place to put the purses, etc.  is a good idea.  If you leave it open it will still be an attractive space, so eliminate the possibility. 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
One other thought; when I got my beautiful new end tables a year or so ago, I had pieces of glass cut to put on top of them. The surfaces are protected and the glass looks nice.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Lynn2000

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:29:23 PM »
And, I think if someone puts their stuff there when you aren't looking, it's perfectly okay to just pick it up and move it to the proper spot, without even saying anything (unless you need to let them know it was moved so they don't think it's gone missing). Kind of like, that was just a temporary landing place, and now you're moving things to the permanent place.
~Lynn2000

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »
I would have a temporary something I could place there so it isn't an empty space.  Or place some kind of runner on it so nothing can damage it.  The bottom line is that you either have to fill it with something harmless or tell your guests not to put things there.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
If they put something down before you can pre-empt them, it's fine to say "Ooh, here, let me move your purse over here instead.  That wood picks up scratches like a magnet."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
If they put something down before you can pre-empt them, it's fine to say "Ooh, here, let me move your purse over here instead.  That wood picks up scratches like a magnet."

That's a nice way to educate people. Both repeat visitors and those who might find that useful when they're at someone ELSE's house.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »

This is what I've done.  Works every time.