Author Topic: Please don't lay your purse on my credenza.../Update post #33  (Read 7677 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Please don't lay your purse on my credenza...
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »
If they put something down before you can pre-empt them, it's fine to say "Ooh, here, let me move your purse over here instead.  That wood picks up scratches like a magnet."

Basically the same thing you do if someone sets a glass down on your table (why people even think setting a glass on wood is acceptable is beyond me; I was taught at a very early age that you NEVER EVER EVER do this) - "Ooh, here, let me put a coaster under that.  That wood gets water rings on it so easily."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
If they put something down before you can pre-empt them, it's fine to say "Ooh, here, let me move your purse over here instead.  That wood picks up scratches like a magnet."

Basically the same thing you do if someone sets a glass down on your table (why people even think setting a glass on wood is acceptable is beyond me; I was taught at a very early age that you NEVER EVER EVER do this) - "Ooh, here, let me put a coaster under that.  That wood gets water rings on it so easily and they never come out."

lowspark

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
Excellent advice from everyone, thank you! I might put down a runner, I like that idea. At least for when people are coming over. I did order a wall hook system this afternoon that will go by my front door, I have the perfect spot for it. So! A combination of me catching them as they come through the door and suggesting they use that, a runner on the credenza, and politely redirecting items that do land on it back to the wall hooks should work. I also like Slartibartfast's wording so that as I redirect, I can also just explain why. It's all going to work out really well, I think! I'm so encouraged.

I really was at odds as to how to handle this without seeming rude and persnickety. Thank you all for the great ideas. I knew y'all would have the answers!!

lowspark

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »
Oh! and yeah! I don't get people putting glasses on wood either. I have a glass top coffee table so no biggie, but I still use napkins & coasters. I wouldn't dream of putting a glass directly on a wood table. But I've seen people do it. Go figure.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:35 PM »
It's so ingrained in me that I feel uncomfortable putting one on glass as well - even if the person tells me I can.  I still have to put something under it.

peaches

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 10:44:16 PM »
We have a pretty table in our entry, and it is a magnet for people's purses and such.

I keep a seasonal runner on it at all times. I like being able to change up the runner; it's made it more decorative, and I don't have to police the area.

I did the same thing with our bureau in the master bedroom after we bought new furniture. I knew DH would use the top as a landing pad. Runner = problem solved.

thedudeabides

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »

Basically the same thing you do if someone sets a glass down on your table (why people even think setting a glass on wood is acceptable is beyond me; I was taught at a very early age that you NEVER EVER EVER do this) - "Ooh, here, let me put a coaster under that.  That wood gets water rings on it so easily."

Possibly because not everyone was raised in homes with wooden furniture?  Or they frequently don't drink beverages cold enough for condensation to form to make water rings and therefore don't think about it?  Or coasters aren't frequently used in their home or homes they visit?  I can think of several reasons why people might think setting a glass on wood is acceptable.

OP, I think you've gotten good advice on how to deal with visitors.  I hope they work for you.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 05:58:45 AM »
It sounds like you've mostly got a plan of attack, but I wanted to just concur with the idea of affirmatively telling people where they can put their belongings as they walk in the door. Frequently, when I'm visiting someone's home for the first time, I end up sort of awkwardly looking around for a good place to put my purse that isn't going to be in the way, preferably isn't on the floor, and will still be accessible to me if I need to get to it. I always appreciate it when someone tells me where I can put it before I have to ask.

I also really appreciate having an actual spot for my things (rather than having to use up a chair, or put them on the floor).

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
Re: coasters, yeah, we never had that issue in my house growing up. We didn't have coffee or side tables so the only surfaces to set glasses on were the kitchen table or counters, which were fine without coasters. I only ever saw coasters at other people's houses and I would use one if told to or if I noticed others using them, but I wouldn't necessarily think of it on my own. I don't think coaster-using people are weird, by any means, but it's just never been a part of my lifestyle and I wouldn't think to ask for one somewhere.

It can be hard to know what is a reasonable assumption to make about other people's knowledge, and what isn't. There's a lot of grey areas in between the extremes. So I think the OP's multi-pronged approach is really good, since her original plan of assuming people knew what she wanted wasn't working.
~Lynn2000

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »

Possibly because not everyone was raised in homes with wooden furniture?  Or they frequently don't drink beverages cold enough for condensation to form to make water rings and therefore don't think about it?  Or coasters aren't frequently used in their home or homes they visit?  I can think of several reasons why people might think setting a glass on wood is acceptable.

OP, I think you've gotten good advice on how to deal with visitors.  I hope they work for you.

A lot of wood furniture these days has a water-resistant finish on it, like polyurethane. Not all new furniture does, and most older furniture doesn't. But if you have only had experience with wood furniture that you *could* put wet things on, you probably don't realize not all wooden furniture is the same.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 12:10:21 PM »
or, furniture with some older finishes didn't get the ring either.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
What about a piece of glass to go on top of the credenza?  You can still see through it, but it will protect the wood from scratches and dust in general

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
What about a piece of glass to go on top of the credenza?  You can still see through it, but it will protect the wood from scratches and dust in general
Good idea!  I cover any furniture surface I am worried about with a piece of plexiglass or soft plastic cover. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
lowspark, I thought of you today!!

We went to the Museum of the American, which is located inside the historic and beautiful U.S Customs House in lower Manhattan, and in the rotunda is the original marble counter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emilio_guerra/4416471339/

On every stretch of the wood work surface on the inside is a sign that says, "DO NOT PLACE OBJECTS ON THE COUNTER."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
lowspark, I thought of you today!!

We went to the Museum of the American, which is located inside the historic and beautiful U.S Customs House in lower Manhattan, and in the rotunda is the original marble counter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emilio_guerra/4416471339/

On every stretch of the wood work surface on the inside is a sign that says, "DO NOT PLACE OBJECTS ON THE COUNTER."

the link is broken