Author Topic: Please don't lay your purse on my credenza.../Update post #33  (Read 7815 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Please don't lay your purse on my credenza...
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »
funny--it worked for me.

I'll see if I can find another pic.

This one doesn't show the wooden work surface behind the marble counter quite as well.
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-62002045/stock-photo-new-york-city-september-interior-of-the-historic-alexander-hamilton-u-s-customs-house-now-a.html

One of the pics here sort of shows the setup.
http://www.worldshipny.com/Murals.shtml

lowspark

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:28 AM »
All the links worked for me. That's funny!! I guess I could put up a sign like that!  >:D
Then again, I guess not.  ;D

squeakers

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »
lowspark, I thought of you today!!

We went to the Museum of the American, which is located inside the historic and beautiful U.S Customs House in lower Manhattan, and in the rotunda is the original marble counter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emilio_guerra/4416471339/

On every stretch of the wood work surface on the inside is a sign that says, "DO NOT PLACE OBJECTS ON THE COUNTER."

the link is broken

Works for me.  That is one huge counter!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

lowspark

Re: Please don't lay your purse on my credenza.../Update Post #33
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »
OP here with an update. Let me just start out by saying Thank you!

Saturday night I had a party with about 16 people in attendance. I had just recently gotten the wall hook rack installed (I ordered it back in January but it didn't come in till late February). As people entered, I just immediately directed them to put their purses & coats on the rack. Several of them, old friends who'd been to my house countless times before, made a comment about it being new and admiring it. A few whom I didn't catch as soon as they walked in, I managed to politely redirect when I saw them laying their stuff elsewhere.

I generally said something like "You can hang your coat & purse over there by the front door" & pointed to the rack, which by then already had coats & purses hanging. And I think people really liked that idea as some were just looking around for where to put stuff or putting it on the floor. As a Dindrane mentioned upthread, it can often be awkward looking for a place to put your things when you arrive in someone's home and this completely solved that issue!

Well, it worked out beautifully. By the time everyone arrived, it was full with coats & purses. The beauty was that it was all in one place and right by the door, so when people started leaving, they knew right where to go to get their stuff which they could easily grab on their way out.

I think that people who come to my house often will get to know to just put their stuff there automatically so as time goes on, there will be fewer people that I need to direct and I won't have to be as vigilant as I was this time about catching everyone as they enter.

So... thanks again, ehell! You came through for me!

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
You, my dear, are a Star.  :)

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Please don't lay your purse on my credenza.../Update post #33
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
hooray!!

(I hang out on an organizing forum, where I am known as the person who always calls out, "Infrastructure!" It's not an accident that the FIRST half of that old saying is "a place for everything...")

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »
I'm glad that worked out so well.

I was also wondering about this thread recently because I was thinking about my living room which has 6 different wood surfaces from various sources. Of those, all but one are handcrafted and all but two I personally know who made them. They have different finishes and every single one has ended up with cups and glasses and food on them and they don't have rings or stains.

So I think this "If it's wood, you can't put a mug on it" is not universal at all.  It actually sounds like a poor choice of finish on the part of the manufacture.

Now, if I am at someone's house and I see a coaster, I use it or I just follow the host's lead as to where to put a glass or a mug.  In the absence of either (or a verbal cue) I will place the drink on a newspaper or magazine etc.. if there is one around.

fountainof

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
This thread is interesting because I have never heard of putting a purse on a table.  Typically people put their purse on the floor near the door.  It kind of grosses me out a purse on the table, studies have been done that show purses are very dirty from all the places they are carried and what they touch.  I could see a purse hung though.

gellchom

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »
I hear you!  You don't want purses on the credenza, but you don't want to be bossy or inhospitable. 

Honestly, I think even giving them someplace else to put stuff isn't going to work.  Someone will slip past you, or later they will get their bags for some reason and then put them on the credenza.   And knowing you, I suspect you won't feel quite as gracious as I know you like to be no matter how you word it.

People re always plunking their bags down in the kitchen when they come.  Drives me nuts, because I'm probably about to put appetizers out on the table (I'd have them out before they come if I could trust the pets!), and the counter is even worse, because I need that space to work, and now I have to not only remove the bag but clean the counter, because the bag has probably been on the floor someplace (that's where I'm probably going to put it).  So when I am the guest, I try to remember to put my bag on the floor behind some chair or between staircase balusters or something.  Then I know it's not in the hosts' way, and as a bonus for me, it will be there when I want it, because no one will have had to move it.

I think your best bet is either a piece of glass or else putting a runner on when people come.  Like rolling up or covering your pretty front hall runner on wet days, putting away breakables before large parties or children's visits, or for that matter having a tablecloth covering your lovely dining table for a dinner party.

It's disappointing that some of our prettiest things can't be on display, or on display the way we think they look best, exactly when we most want our homes to look their best.  But that's the way it is. 

May it always be your worst problem!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
It actually sounds like a poor choice of finish on the part of the manufacture.

I disagree.  Most of my furniture is antique.  And I think the people who made it knew fully well what they were doing, as it's lasted many, many years.

Maybe your furniture has a finish that allows things to be set on it.  But that doesn't mean that other furniture is not made well.

lowspark

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
Actually, gellchom, the experience Saturday night indicates that it shouldn't be a problem at all. I specifically remember one guest who has been to my house many times leaning over to put her coat & purse down on the floor in an adjoining room. Not an offending spot at all and normally it would have been quite natural to leave it there. But I just pointed out the rack and said something like, You can hang your stuff on the hooks over there - in a sort of "looky what new thing I have" sort of way. And she reacted accordingly, with a pleasant remark like "oh! look at that! how cool" or some such as she went to hang her belongings.

So I can see the same thing happening in the future no matter where someone lays their stuff. It completely becomes a matter of communicating, "here's the perfect spot for your purse" as opposed to "don't put your things in a place I don't want them" which is what I felt I was sort of saying before.

It occurred to me later as well, that it really did make things SO much easier for my guests as they were leaving. There was a fair amount of drinking going on and people were there for a few hours and normally at an occasion like this, people tend to sort of look around as they are trying to leave and begin to wonder where in the world did they lay down their gear? Well, that never happened this time. Everyone knew just exactly where their purse was, as not only was it clear where they had put it, but no one had moved it off a chair to sit on it or scooted it over because it got in the way somewhere.

Now, I will say that I know things can't stay brand new and pristine forever. Things do get worn and things break, etc. These things happen. But this rack did really solve more than one problem for me in the end!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
I'm glad it worked so well!

This is one of the many reasons why I think it's kind of silly to have entryways that don't have built-in solutions for "what the heck do I do with my stuff?" For one thing, not every home has more than one entrance. For another, even homes that have a back or side entrance with a mud room have guests (and sometimes residents) coming in through the front door.

I don't think I ever completely realized how important such organization is until I moved to a climate that requires a coat of some sort for 3/4 of the year, and moved into an apartment that has a 3 foot square of linoleum in my living room as my "entryway." Two of the first things I purchased to put near the door were a coat rack and a place to put my shoes, because they would otherwise have nowhere but the furniture/middle of the floor to go.