General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Mom's 18-point rules for son and iphone

(1/26) > >>

siamesecat2965:
I heard this on the radio on my way into work, and found the article online.  I have to say, I applaud the mom.  While she does use a bit of profanity, I think she's right on the money, especially with #1.  And sadly, I know many adults who could also benefit from following these rules!

http://news.yahoo.com/moms-18-point-iphone-rules-son-143831843--abc-news-parenting.html

auntmeegs:
I personally can't stand things like this.  It's so preachy and self-congratulatory.  You don't need to make a production out of having phone rules for your child, just have the rules without acting like you invented some new concept.

lady_disdain:
I hated #1. If the phone was a gift, it is the boy's, not the mom's. If it isn't a gift, then don't start off by saying "You are now the proud owner of an iPhone." Also, if it is a gift, he should be able to choose if he wants to replace it or not if it gets broken. Of course, mom should tell him "this is the only phone I will give you as a gift. If anything happens to it, you are the one who will have to repair it, replace it or make do without it" but it should be his choice.

I disagree with "Do not ever ignore a phone call if the screen reads 'Mom' or 'Dad.' Not ever." If, for example, he forgot to turn off the phone before going to the movies, he should not answer Mom or Dad. Or in class, during a doctor's appointment, while having dinner at a nice restaurant (if, for example, his friend's parents take them). Of course, the phone should have been off but the correct action in these case would be turn it off instead of answering.

Why wonder without googling? Appreciate the moment, see the beauty and research why it works that way. I would always incentive a child to google and learn.

I love 18!

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: auntmeegs on January 04, 2013, 03:52:08 PM ---I personally can't stand things like this.  It's so preachy and self-congratulatory.  You don't need to make a production out of having phone rules for your child, just have the rules without acting like you invented some new concept.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, this. It kind of reminds me of the "I didn't just grow up, I was RAISED" meme that went around a while back. I hate it when people trumpet themselves as the last bastion of civility in the world. If you're that polite (or are instilling that much politeness in the next generation), you're probably not bragging about it so much.

hobish:
Ugh. 13 year old me would have said thanks, but no thanks. 39 year old me would do the same. That isn't a gift  :(
"Hoffman said that the lessons she outlined were for her son's iPhone usage, for his life and for anyone too attached to their mobile device." My. How kind of her :P Just what i needed, i'm sure.
"Wonder without Googling?" Do what now? I have the collective knowledge of mankind right in my pocket. That in itself fills me with wonder and excitement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version