Author Topic: Merry Christmas and A Happy Eternity  (Read 4949 times)

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
Merry Christmas and A Happy Eternity
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »
Maybe it's my age, but when you hit mid-life it seems people give you bizarre gifts. To wit, my beloved parents have given me a gravesite. A cemetary plot.

What's the thank you note for that supposed to look like?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Merry Christmas and A Happy Eternity
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
Here lies my gratitude?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

onyonryngs

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
Here lies my gratitude?

*snerk* How do you give something like that back, say if you wanted to be cremated? 

My MIL gave me a toaster that burns images onto your toast.  I like baseball, but I don't need a logo burnt into my bread.

miredrose326

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:46:32 PM »
My mom asked me while I was in my mid twenties (about 10 years ago) if I would like a plot next to the ones she and my dad were planning on buying. I declined. Luckily they ended up not buying their plots either because we moved across the state from the old plots and it would not be convenient for their funerals or visiting.
My beautiful babies 

yokozbornak

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
Dear Mom and Dad,

Even though dead I'm not,
Thank you for the funeral plot.

Because in the future dead I'll be,
And now I have a place for eternity.

Flora Louise

Sorry...I really got nothing!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Here lies my gratitude?

*snerk* How do you give something like that back, say if you wanted to be cremated? 

My MIL gave me a toaster that burns images onto your toast.  I like baseball, but I don't need a logo burnt into my bread.

That would come in handy more if you could get one that burns some holy image into your bread. ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »
My parents bought plots for them and my brother and me a while back.  Granted, it's weird to go out and actually stand on your own gravesite, but it really is a responsible thing to have (just like everyone should have a will - even when they're in their 20s; it's the responsible thing to do regardless of how morbid it may seem at the time).  Things like that need to be bought in advance (for obvious reasons).  And, if a family wants to be buried together, you really do need to have the plots bought in enough time to get them all in a row or section together.

While kind of an odd gift right now, I can see how thoughtful it was for them to give it to you.  This really is a nice thing to do for someone, believe it or not.

(And, if in the future you decide you want to be buried elsewhere - like if you move and decide you want to be buried in the new city or state - you can sell the plot you have now.  You're not completely committed to it where it is now, but it is a good investment to have.)

buvezdevin

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
Dear Mom and Dad,

I hope you know how much I appreciated the room&board during my first x years of life, as well as the love and care of your parenting.

That you have now addressed my "housing" for eternity, is beyond generous, though I hope you will understand that I am in no rush to move in.

Much love,
Flora Louise
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
Dear Mom and Dad,

I hope you know how much I appreciated the room&board during my first x years of life, as well as the love and care of your parenting.

That you have now addressed my "housing" for eternity, is beyond generous, though I hope you will understand that I am in no rush to move in.

Much love,
Flora Louise

For the win!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

CakeEater

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »
I actually disagree that it's a nice thing to do, especially given as a surprise gift at Christmas. If it had been discussed previously, then sure.

But where you want your final resting place to be is kind of a personal decision, isn't it? What if you'd prefer to be buried next to your husband rather than your parents? Or you move to another state, and that really becomes your home over the next 60 or so years, and you'd prefer to be buried there? Or you want your cremated remains scattered in the Grand Canyon?

It seems a bit controlling, to me.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »
What if you'd prefer to be buried next to your husband rather than your parents? Or you move to another state, and that really becomes your home over the next 60 or so years, and you'd prefer to be buried there? Or you want your cremated remains scattered in the Grand Canyon?

I already answered that.

If you decide to be buried elsewhere, it's not a problem.  However, this does ensure that you have a place to be buried.  This isn't something that you can put off; in fact, the sooner you have a place set aside (yes, even in your 20s or 30s), the better off you are.  Like I said, it may seem morbid at the time, but it's the responsible thing to do.

I wrote my will when I was in my early 20s.  It was horribly depressing, and I hated doing it.  However, it's now done, and I don't have to think about it anymore (unless something changes in my life to where I'd need to tweak it somehow).  I can now not have to dwell on it or experience that depressing feeling, because it's finished.  Same thing with the grave.  I don't have to ponder it anymore or be concerned about it.  It's something that I can now put out of my mind and know that it's taken care of.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:33:15 PM by DottyG »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
All that said, I do have to say that I love buvezdevin's response. :)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
Here lies my gratitude?

Especially since those always give me visions of the team being toast, as in losing.  ;D

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 05:43:09 PM »
Piratelvr - << Here lies my gratitude? >>

buvezdevin -

<< Dear Mom and Dad,

Much love,
Flora Louise >>

yokozbornak -

<< Dear Mom and Dad,

Even though dead I'm not,
Thank you for the funeral plot.

Because in the future dead I'll be,
And now I have a place for eternity.

Flora Louise >>

I dub you all Screwballs.  ;D
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 05:49:09 PM »
We are 69 and nearly 68 (gasp!). We have only talked about what if it happened right now and what we would do, and have been for 46 years.

We are certainly glad we have not committed to buying the property as our plans have changed 3 times.

No thanks, Mom and Dad. I'll see you later no matter what, but things may change.

(By the way: best Richard Van Dyke show ever!)