General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Stingy co-worker

<< < (2/11) > >>

POF:

--- Quote from: peaches on January 05, 2013, 09:39:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: Annoyed in America on January 05, 2013, 07:33:41 AM ---I Is it okay to bring in treats and distribute them to everyone else and leave him out?

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't do this in a workplace. It could create hard feelings and drama, and in my experience, bosses hate drama.

What you're describing is voluntary. The employer didn't assign this duty (bringing treats) to employees, and may consider it trivial and unnecessary. 

I agree that the behavior of this one employee is annoying. He is taking advantage. But you don't have to bring treats if you don't want to.

Iím not saying that good manners, cooperation and teamwork are not important in the workplace. They are, and I believe most employers appreciate these qualities. What employers donít appreciate is one employee pointing out the bad manners of another.

I would weigh the benefits versus the hazards of making an issue of this.

--- End quote ---

POD

I had to eliminate treats because it got contentious.  People were bringing in treats - keeping them at their desks for "certain people". Besdies the hard feelings, chatter and drama - I said no more.

Want to bake and bring it in ? Fine - it goes in kitchen.  Oh kitchen is shared by a lot of people.... too bad.  Bring it in and go to the break room with friends and share it.

Birthdays - once a qtr I bring in a cake.

I had people having little appetizer parties set out on their desks .  ( This is in a dept I took over - so I quickly stopped it )

I would be very cautious.

Girlie:

--- Quote from: Annoyed in America on January 05, 2013, 08:48:48 AM ---A little clarification here...He doesn't do any heavy lifting (in fact he avoids doing anything not specific to his job).  He won't speak up when supplies are needed, but will wait until they are completely gone and right after supplies were ordered and delivered to mention "Oh BTW we are out of ...."  I am 32 years older than him and I frequently have to actually lift heavy supplies.  He can sit there and watch someone struggle and not get out of his chair or offer to help. 
On a side note he has money...He lives with his parents, pays no rent, has no bills whatsoever.  I think he puts his money in the bank and watches the balance grow.  He spends it on nothing. No girlfriend, very few friends.
When going through doors he never holds them open for women, he pushes through first.  I guess I am weary of his stingyness in every facet of his personality.

--- End quote ---

Are you sure that he doesn't have a social disorder of some sort?

LeveeWoman:
Can we keep medical diagnoses out of this?

Sharnita:
I agree with peaches.

DollyPond:

--- Quote from: Girlie on January 05, 2013, 10:11:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: Annoyed in America on January 05, 2013, 08:48:48 AM ---A little clarification here...He doesn't do any heavy lifting (in fact he avoids doing anything not specific to his job).  He won't speak up when supplies are needed, but will wait until they are completely gone and right after supplies were ordered and delivered to mention "Oh BTW we are out of ...."  I am 32 years older than him and I frequently have to actually lift heavy supplies.  He can sit there and watch someone struggle and not get out of his chair or offer to help. 
On a side note he has money...He lives with his parents, pays no rent, has no bills whatsoever.  I think he puts his money in the bank and watches the balance grow.  He spends it on nothing. No girlfriend, very few friends.
When going through doors he never holds them open for women, he pushes through first.  I guess I am weary of his stingyness in every facet of his personality.

--- End quote ---

Are you sure that he doesn't have a social disorder of some sort?

--- End quote ---

I work with someone like this who DOES have a social disorder.  We have all adopted the attitude of laughing it off as "That's just how he is" and dealt with it that way.  That way there are no hard feelings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version