A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

"Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing

<< < (45/134) > >>

jedikaiti:

--- Quote from: afbluebelle on January 10, 2013, 11:04:01 PM ---Now I have that creepy Enrique Iglesias song stuck in my head.

I know it has been mentioned, but I figure that "swag" deserved another mention. Only because it seems to be accompanied by flat brim hats. I really, really, REALLY want to bend all the brims I see into normal baseball style configuration. I won't, but the urge is there.

--- End quote ---

Me, too. After I turn them back around the right way.

My annoyance - "walla" instead of "voilą". Causes headaches in the same part of the brain as repeated stupid grammar and punctuation errors.

baglady:
I agree that "hero" is misused a lot. Everyone knows that the correct term is "sub" or "grinder."  ;)

I'm a "hero member" of this forum, and I haven't saved any lives that I know of. I don't think the H word has been cheapened, necessarily, as much as it's just interpreted differently. To some people a hero is someone who saves lives (e.g. doctor). To others, it's someone who risks his own life to save others (firefighter, soldier in war zone). To others still, it's this definition from the dictionary: "a person ... who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements or noble qualities." Helen Keller is one of my heroes, and I don't recall reading about her running into any burning buildings or falling on any grenades.

One word I think definitely *has* been cheapened/corrupted is "diva." It means a (figuratively speaking) larger-than-life female singer -- think Maria Callas or Diana Ross. It doesn't mean just any famous female singer. (Sorry, Britney.) And it definitely doesn't mean spoiled, obnoxious female. (Sorry, all you "Toddlers & Tiaras" moms who describe your daughters' tantrums as "diva moments.")

And I can definitely live without hearing any other syllables amputated and replaced with S: "totes," "adorbs," "whatevs."

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: baglady on January 11, 2013, 12:08:34 AM ---I agree that "hero" is misused a lot. Everyone knows that the correct term is "sub" or "grinder."  ;)
--- End quote ---

Oh no you DIN'T.  You did NOT just call a hoagie a sub!

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: Traska AKA Diane on January 11, 2013, 01:12:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: baglady on January 11, 2013, 12:08:34 AM ---I agree that "hero" is misused a lot. Everyone knows that the correct term is "sub" or "grinder."  ;)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I never knew that many people outside of PA don't call it a hoagie. I was so confused when I moved away...

rose red:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on January 11, 2013, 04:12:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: Traska AKA Diane on January 11, 2013, 01:12:09 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I never knew that many people outside of PA don't call it a hoagie. I was so confused when I moved away...

--- End quote ---

The first time I heard hoagie was on The Cosby Show and wondered what the heck Bill was talking about.

Like a PP, I'm also tired of JADE.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version