Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 53886 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #345 on: January 22, 2013, 05:01:19 AM »
Up close and personal is an expression journalists and interviewers use way too often, it's essentially tautology.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #346 on: January 22, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
Event.  Weather event, snow event, rain event, sales event.  Weather, snow, rain, sale.  YOU DON'T NEED EVENT.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #347 on: January 22, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
1) Instead of (fattening item) enjoy (woefully small amount of item that is no where near as good as fattening item).  Example  "Instead of having a scoop of red velvet ice cream, enjoy four ounces of plain greek yogurt with sliced strawberries."  Plain Greek yogurt with strawberries may be good, but if what I want is B&JU's Red Velvet Ice Cream, I am NOT going to "enjoy" that yogurt.

2) This also goes for the word "sip".  Instead of a can of Diet Cola, sip ice water with mint and limes steeped in it."  or "Sip green tea"

Oh! SO much this! Diet "substitutions" that don't even resemble the thing you were actually craving, and all that "sip" language that makes it sound like not only should we be dieting, but we should also be consuming the food/drink in some kind of super-dainty way.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #348 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:54 AM »
I like little man.

However, I have never in my life heard 'Little lady' used as a term of endearment for a grown woman.

Really?  I have quite a few times, always from the SO of the woman.  I hear it being said as, "Hey, little lady, why don't we hit the town?" said almost seductively as she steps into his arms for a kiss.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #349 on: January 22, 2013, 08:57:59 AM »
I like little man.

However, I have never in my life heard 'Little lady' used as a term of endearment for a grown woman.

Really?  I have quite a few times, always from the SO of the woman.  I hear it being said as, "Hey, little lady, why don't we hit the town?" said almost seductively as she steps into his arms for a kiss.

I personally would absolutely hate that as a term of endearment from anyone. I'm not a child and that is how I would associate it.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Verloona Ti

« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
Women's magazine writers and editors are apparently under the impression that "lips" and "mouth" are obscene words. So rather than use those words to describe that portion of a  woman's facial anatomy between her chin and her nose....They call it a "POUT".

"Exfoliate your POUT for a sexy party look" "Make your POUT pop with lipstick shade_____"

So annoying, not least because pout is a verb not a noun, PLUS  it's a word I would not associate with people whose age is in double digits. HATE this!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »
Women's magazine writers and editors are apparently under the impression that "lips" and "mouth" are obscene words. So rather than use those words to describe that portion of a  woman's facial anatomy between her chin and her nose....They call it a "POUT".

"Exfoliate your POUT for a sexy party look" "Make your POUT pop with lipstick shade_____"

So annoying, not least because pout is a verb not a noun, PLUS  it's a word I would not associate with people whose age is in double digits. HATE this!

Oh, I forgot all about "pout"! And all the unnecessary alliteration. "For the perfect pout..."

Once when I was in high school I grabbed up a copy of Seventeen and went through it with a purple pen, circling everything that was purple prose. It was most of the magazine. I thought adult magazines would be less condescending, and to my great chagrin found that they were just as bad.

For a while in the nineties, they all got obsessed with "sleek" to mean "thin." Drove me batty.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
Well, I think that "pout" has some implied meanings, that the model, beyond having normal facial anatomy, is doing that supposedly seductive expression that says "I'm not happy, but if you give me ermine or diamonds, I might lighten up enough to make *you* happy, for a few minutes, at least". Because men are supposed to like women like that.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:48 AM »

Or is it poutstick?  (Sounds like Chinese dumplings.)

_______

I'll confess that I'm annoyed with "you see", too.  I see it sometimes on here.  It's not offensive, it doesn't make a post incomprehensible, so I chalk it up to it being my own hangup and I just wince inwards. 

Iris

« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »
1) Instead of (fattening item) enjoy (woefully small amount of item that is no where near as good as fattening item).  Example  "Instead of having a scoop of red velvet ice cream, enjoy four ounces of plain greek yogurt with sliced strawberries."  Plain Greek yogurt with strawberries may be good, but if what I want is B&JU's Red Velvet Ice Cream, I am NOT going to "enjoy" that yogurt.

2) This also goes for the word "sip".  Instead of a can of Diet Cola, sip ice water with mint and limes steeped in it."  or "Sip green tea"

Oh! SO much this! Diet "substitutions" that don't even resemble the thing you were actually craving, and all that "sip" language that makes it sound like not only should we be dieting, but we should also be consuming the food/drink in some kind of super-dainty way.

Slight tangent, but this is a pet hate of mine. I can remember watching an episode of one of those weight loss shows where they were teaching the people how to substitute foods. One of them prepared this elaborate special bread and fruit and yoghurt and low calorie honey alternative thing as a substitute for a pack of chips. Stupidest thing I have ever seen - it was sweet instead of savoury, took about 10 minutes (no exaggeration) to prepare instead of zero, and you had to have about 5 ingredients in your house instead of one. I suspect these people have never MET a person with bad eating habits because no way are my overweight family members going to go for that. It needs to be "Instead of chips, here is a different snack-in-a-pack with lower GI, less salt and less calories. Have that."
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
I like little man.

I've never heard it used as a term of endearment for anyone. For me, it conjures up images of a sleazy salescritter talking down to a customer because he can't believe a little lady could possibly know what she was talking about.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mikayla

« Reply #356 on: January 22, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
Most of mine have been covered, but a couple others:

Iconic.  It's ironic that iconic has itself become iconic. 

lil instead of little. 

Poop.  I loathe this word beyond all reason.  I actually think the extreme version (not to be used in polite society) is much nicer.

brah.  Seriously, use bro.  Or just the name.  Or nothing at all.

Raising awareness. I can't explain it, it just hits me wrong.

And I Really Hate Title Typing.  Who Does This and Why? 

MindsEye

« Reply #357 on: January 22, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »
"You need to educate yourself" is the one that really sets my rage off and is the one that guarantees that I will automatically dismiss what you have to say.

Think (for the sake of an easy example) a vegan saying that if you would only educate yourself, then you would see that eating vegan is the only reasonable thing to do.

Really?  You think that by implying that I am a complete ignoramus that I will come around to your way of thinking?

I also hate baby talk in all forms.  If you are not talking to a baby/toddler, then do not talk like one.  It is not "cute" or "endearing".  Trust me.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
I also hate baby talk in all forms.  If you are not talking to a baby/toddler, then do not talk like one.  It is not "cute" or "endearing".  Trust me.

How about an animal?

Thought of a new one for me: First world problem.  It implies that just because I don't live somewhere that I could be taken from the street and impressed into military service at age ten, that no problem I have is of any consequence.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »

How about an animal?

Thought of a new one for me: First world problem.  It implies that just because I don't live somewhere that I could be taken from the street and impressed into military service at age ten, that no problem I have is of any consequence.

Oh, that phrase totally gets misused and overused. I do feel like there are times it applies, though, like "I was texting on my iPhone and spilled my latte in my Lamborghini." It shouldn't just be applied to any problem that a person has in the first world. I really think it mostly fits when it's also a "bragplain"--like someone is griping about their problem just so they can namedrop the brands involved in their problem.