A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

"Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing

<< < (88/134) > >>

Piratelvr1121:
Now that would make me giggle, from a guy referring to himself.

afbluebelle:

--- Quote from: Tabby Uprising on February 03, 2013, 09:36:52 PM ---I am quite tired of the phrase "swag" because I do seem to encounter it frequently.  I swear I'll hear it in ads for a dentist's office. Visit Dr. Dentifrice and leave with a personal swag bag of floss and a toothbrush  Bleah!  It's embarrassing when you're trying to be cool by using a catch phrase past it's expiration date.  And I say this as someone who excels in not being cool. 

I also hate "keeping it real" because that's simply a euphemism for "I'm about to be horribly rude, but please note I can dish it out but not take it".

Otherwise, a lot of these phrases don't bother me because I don't encounter them that frequently.

--- End quote ---

See that wouldn't bother me, because it is using swag in the way I've always heard it used. Race swag, event swag, stuff you get for attending something. I just don't understand modern swag and how it relates to neon colors and flat brimmed hats.

cabbagegirl28:

--- Quote from: Yvaine on February 03, 2013, 10:29:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Piratelvr1121 on February 03, 2013, 09:11:00 PM ---"Girlish Figure" I know it's not a really new term so not trendy but oh I hate it.  I don't actually hear it that more and I think it's partly because I moved to an area where people aren't nearly as image conscious as they were where I used to live.   I used to work in a body image obsessed office and between them and my parents I heard the "You need to keep your girlish figure!" well into my 20's.  A 5lb gain got comments of "Why are you gaining weight?" or "Do you really need to eat that? Watch that girlish figure!"  ::)  My mother once insinuated that keeping a girlish figure is how you keep a man interested/happy.  :P

--- End quote ---

I've noticed an uptick in using "girlish figure" ironically--for example, I know some guys who use it when trying to talk themselves out of junk food.  ;D

--- End quote ---

One of my guy friends did use that excuse. However, he's a big joker, so it makes sense. He'll be in a show where he's going to be flying around the stage, so he's trying to make it easier on the crew pulling him around.

m2kbug:
What I've been seeing a lot lately.

Den = then
Stahp = stop

BabylonSister:
I've seen "dafuq?", which is obviously for "what the f...?" It gets annoying after a while.

I also dislike "Ain't nobody got time for that."  Not because of the botched English, which has its place sometimes, because people post that as a comment on craft/DYI pages.  So you don't want to make things yourself? Fine, then, don't.  Some people, however, like to take the time to do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version