Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 57962 times)

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:09 AM »
Amazeballs
Totes amazeballs

On the other hand, I doubt I will ever get sick of adding 'like a sunrise' to every sentence!

I'm sorry but I am, I refuse to take part in that.
That woman is despicable.  :(
Stewart/Colbert '16

Redsoil

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2013, 01:08:08 AM »
Agree with all of these.  Loved the Nickelback parody - just great!  ;)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

mikeylou

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 02:55:22 AM »
"Jelly" instead of Jealous
"It is what it is".   

m2kbug

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 03:25:22 AM »
Jelly instead of jealous
Sick instead of neat, wonderful, cool
Ima for I am or I'm
Oh snap
Hood instead of neighborhood
Hashtags
Hate on or haters gonna hate
Fetch
Anyhoo
Ending words with -licious (chocolicious)
axed instead of asked

What in the world is cray-cray?

mikeylou

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »

It's crazy.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 04:43:20 AM »
Darn, m2kbug said it before I could.  There was a time when, if something was good, people would say "cool".  Then for a while, it was "phat".  That one had me thinking people were insulting my weight, but that was for all of two seconds until my brain caught up and I realized what they really meant.  Now it's "sick".  I remember when "sick" meant "gross" or "nasty".  Or "sick" as in ill.  Bah...

Another one that sort of strikes me as being kind of cutesy is saying "feels" instead of "feelings"  I wouldn't go so far as to say it bothers me, but you won't catch me using that one.

m2kbug

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 05:05:52 AM »
Darn, m2kbug said it before I could.  There was a time when, if something was good, people would say "cool".  Then for a while, it was "phat".  That one had me thinking people were insulting my weight, but that was for all of two seconds until my brain caught up and I realized what they really meant.  Now it's "sick".  I remember when "sick" meant "gross" or "nasty".  Or "sick" as in ill.  Bah...

Another one that sort of strikes me as being kind of cutesy is saying "feels" instead of "feelings"  I wouldn't go so far as to say it bothers me, but you won't catch me using that one.

I was a teen when the word "bad" became popular as an expression of awesome/cool/great.  My mom gave a gift to one of the grandkids and he said "Oooh BAD!"  My mom was upset that the gift wasn't liked or the wrong choice.  "Bad means good, Mom" I explained.  I, myself have never used it.  :D  I imagine the term "cool" makes a certain generation cringe.

m2kbug

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »
Duck face...why in the world is this even a thing and how is it supposed to be attractive? When I was a kid doing a duck face meant putting two pringles in your mouth so it looked like a beak.

Hahaha!  Pringles.  Exactly!

My daughter wanted a camera, so I was looking at inexpensive "starter" cameras for Christmas and talked about she's a teen so she'll probably be doing the fish lips pictures.  The salesperson corrected me, "It's duck face."   ;D 

cabbageweevil

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »
My hot button?  "Hating on".  "Hate" is a verb.  One doesn't "love on", "like on", "want on" or any such thing, so why this prevalence of "hate on"?  To me, it just smacks of a complete lack of creativity.  Surely there are so many more ways to convey this point!

It's funny; I feel exactly the opposite about this expression. I first encountered it on eHell (it isn't used at all in the UK). I tend mostly to like Americanisms, and was rather taken with this one -- "hating on" something, feels to me a more colourful, intensified variant of just hating: I feel that it is rather creative. The way people have such a variety of opinions and sentiments about so many things, adds interest to life !

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 06:53:11 AM »
Jelly instead of jealous
Sick instead of neat, wonderful, cool
Ima for I am or I'm
Oh snap
Hood instead of neighborhood
Hashtags
Hate on or haters gonna hate
Fetch
Anyhoo
Ending words with -licious (chocolicious)
axed instead of asked

Why fetch? I've never heard it as a "trendy expression" and am curious how it's being used.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

m2kbug

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »

Why fetch? I've never heard it as a "trendy expression" and am curious how it's being used.

Fetch is a "clean cussing" word for the f-word.  It's used around my parts a lot as well as "oh my heck," which I should have included on my list.  It's one that really crawls under my skin, though I don't know why.  It probably doesn't bother anyone else.   :)

Verloona Ti

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
Online  trendy expressions:

People who think it's cute to spell 'probably' 'prolly'.  So annoying...

People who can't do simple phonics, so they allow spellcheck to fool them into thinking  definitely/def.in.it.el.y could possibly be spelled 'defiantly' (de.fi.ant.ly). Both legitimate words , but very different meanings. (I think they must try to spell it definitaly, and spellcheck offers defiantly as the correct choice. Lack of phonics in Elementary School lets them fall for this.)

Ditto people on political sites , who think secession, secede, succession, and succeed/succede are all the same thing. Four of those are legitimate words-but they are not spelled, pronounced, nor do they mean the same thing. Is spellcheck to blame for people writing succeed in the comments section of an article, the headline of which correctly used secede?

If I were world dictator, using 'amirite?' online would be a capital offense. This is a grating-on-the-last-nerve cutesy way of writing 'am I right?', and I have NEVER seen it used in an online post that didn't make me despise the person using it. It's always used in a snarky, hateful, obnoxious comment.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »
It begins with R and ends with "tard"

Ohh! I hate that too. There are few words I find offensive, but this is one.
And the same goes for "gay" used as a derogative word like Slartibartfast mentioned.

I don't care for that or "sped" used as an abbreviation of special ed.   Heard it a lot as a preteen in middle school where it was used as a synonym for the R word. *shudder* Kids can be so cruel when they find out how much you struggle with math... :-[ 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Emmy

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 08:27:03 AM »
What's "selfies"?

My pregnancy related term that I hate: "baby bump".

NOTHING gets my dander up like "baby bump" "preggers" and "preggo".  Where I come from, Prego is pasta sauce.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  "Preggo" makes me think of pasta sauce too.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
As far as "love on" never being used - it is. I tend to hear it in terms of a person or people just pouring on verbal and physical affection. Think of Grandma loving on her  1 yo grandkid.