Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 45654 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #450 on: February 05, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
*Hangs head in shame*

I am guilty of frequent use of the words "nom" and "dafuq".

We also quote Sweet Brown a lot in my household.  ;D

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #451 on: February 05, 2013, 11:46:09 PM »
I feel a twing of discomfort when I hear "on the same page" because it implies some are not paying attention.

I use that.  But it's to make sure I'M on the same page as someone - not that they're wrong.  Like at work, I'll contact them to make sure that I'm on the same page with what I'm to be doing or something like that.

Well, it's just me. I don't say anything.  Maybe I am around a lot of people who are stuck with using that phrase too much, feel everybody should be on "their" page...

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #452 on: February 06, 2013, 06:26:32 AM »
*Hangs head in shame*

I am guilty of frequent use of the words "nom" and "dafuq".

We also quote Sweet Brown a lot in my household.  ;D

I'll join you in the corner, as I seem to be fond of ermagerd and stahp.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #453 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
J totally forgot about ermagerd. Yeah, I'm gonna be in this corner a while.  8)

Amava

« Reply #454 on: February 06, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »

Nice. Would you like some Gersberrmps Berks to keep you busy in that corner?  ;)

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #455 on: February 06, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »

Nice. Would you like some Gersberrmps Berks to keep you busy in that corner?  ;)

::Trying so.. SO... hard not to type what I'm thinking::

Amava

« Reply #456 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »

Lol... what is it? Do you want me to stahp?  ;D

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #457 on: February 06, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »

Lol... what is it? Do you want me to stahp?  ;D
I get to consolidate!

"Ermagerd, stahp!"

eltf177

« Reply #458 on: February 07, 2013, 06:28:08 AM »
For me it's "person of interest." Everytime I hear it I know what the cops are really trying to say: "We have no clues and no suspects, but if we admit it we look like idiots. So we use this term to fool the public into thinking we're actually making headway when we actually are just treading water."

I think of  Richard Jewel and Stephen Hatfill everytime I hear this ridiculous phrase...

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #459 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »
u·nique
[yoo-neek]
adjective
1.existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
2.having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
3.limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.
4.limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.
5.not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.

Unique does not mean "Come to our store where you and 5 billion other people can buy the same exact unique item."  It's over-used in ads, newscasts, and printed media.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #460 on: February 13, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »
Fro Yo (frozen yogurt).

I think it's a name of a shop, but now I just hear it as a generic term.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #461 on: February 13, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »
u·nique
[yoo-neek]
adjective
1.existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
2.having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
3.limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.
4.limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.

Unique does not mean "Come to our store where you and 5 billion other people can buy the same exact unique item."  It's over-used in ads, newscasts, and printed media.

A friend of mine used to say "It's the most unique thing I have ever seen!"

Our other friend, the grammar cop, finally said "Is it more unique than the most unique thing you saw LAST week?"

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #462 on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
u·nique
[yoo-neek]
adjective

Our other friend, the grammar cop, finally said "Is it more unique than the most unique thing you saw LAST week?"

Most unique is like absolutely final.  Both words are definitive... they can't be modified.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #463 on: February 13, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »
u·nique
[yoo-neek]
adjective

Most unique is like absolutely final.  Both words are definitive... they can't be modified.

Thank you! This is one of mine too. "Our cupcakes will have more unique flavors than..." NO THEY WON'T. They can have unusual, rare, uncommon, special, different, surprising flavors. But they do not, will not, and cannot have, more unique flavors, because unique has no gradations. The phrasing is further undermined to a teeth-gritting degree when the "unique" flavor is something like salted caramel or mocha strawberry, which maybe not everybody has come up with, but certainly more than one individual has.

DH just rolls his eyes now when I start shouting "Non-modifiable adjective!" at the television. I think he's finally gotten used to me arguing with cooking shows.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #464 on: February 13, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »
For me it's "person of interest." Everytime I hear it I know what the cops are really trying to say: "We have no clues and no suspects, but if we admit it we look like idiots. So we use this term to fool the public into thinking we're actually making headway when we actually are just treading water."

I think of  Richard Jewel and Stephen Hatfill everytime I hear this ridiculous phrase...

I assume it means "we have a sort-of suspect, but we won't call him that, in case we're wrong, and he sues us."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."