A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

"Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing

<< < (96/134) > >>

Ms_Cellany:
Professional writer here:

I'm fine with "more unique" or "very unique."  Think of a line of vases, each different in some way: one is an irregular shape, one has spectacular colors, one is sleek and made of metal, etc.  Then, at the end, is a vase made of cheesecloth cast in resin, with embedded chocolate dragons, and wooden feed hand-carved in the shape of Mickey Mouse gloves, painted in stripes.

Each vase is unique, but that one is really unique.

"Mass exodus," OTOH, just irks me.

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: Ms_Cellany on February 14, 2013, 01:32:39 PM ---Professional writer here:

I'm fine with "more unique" or "very unique."  Think of a line of vases, each different in some way: one is an irregular shape, one has spectacular colors, one is sleek and made of metal, etc.  Then, at the end, is a vase made of cheesecloth cast in resin, with embedded chocolate dragons, and wooden feed hand-carved in the shape of Mickey Mouse gloves, painted in stripes.

Each vase is unique, but that one is really unique.

"Mass exodus," OTOH, just irks me.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, still no.  If there's only one of something in all the universe, it can't be more only of is something in all the universe than something else.  It can be more peculiar, more differing, more interesting, even more artistic, but it can't be more unique.  It *can*, however, be unique i more ways than something else.

Betelnut:
"Jump the shark"

It just seems to be used when a TV show, movie or whatever irritates you rather than when it have an episode of sheer ridiculousness.  Being irritated with a show is not the same as a show doing something that totally destroys its integrity.

"The show totally jumped the shark when it had Colleen eat a doughnut!  I mean, she would never do that!"

MrTango:

--- Quote from: Betelnut on February 14, 2013, 02:51:25 PM ---"Jump the shark"

It just seems to be used when a TV show, movie or whatever irritates you rather than when it have an episode of sheer ridiculousness.  Being irritated with a show is not the same as a show doing something that totally destroys its integrity.

"The show totally jumped the shark when it had Colleen eat a doughnut!  I mean, she would never do that!"

--- End quote ---

The phrase is actually a reference to an episode of the show Happy Days, wherein the Fonz is water-skiing and ends up having to literally jump over a shark.  Of course, the more ridiculous part of that scene is that he's still wearing his leather jacket while water skiing...

A variant on that is "Nuke the Fridge," referencing the scene in the 4th Indiana Jones movie in which Harrison Ford climbs into a lead-lined refrigerator to survive a nuclear blast.

Betelnut:

--- Quote from: MrTango on February 14, 2013, 02:57:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Betelnut on February 14, 2013, 02:51:25 PM ---"Jump the shark"

--- End quote ---

The phrase is actually a reference to an episode of the show Happy Days, wherein the Fonz is water-skiing and ends up having to literally jump over a shark.  Of course, the more ridiculous part of that scene is that he's still wearing his leather jacket while water skiing...

A variant on that is "Nuke the Fridge," referencing the scene in the 4th Indiana Jones movie in which Harrison Ford climbs into a lead-lined refrigerator to survive a nuclear blast.

--- End quote ---

I know where the phrase comes from.  I just don't like it being used just because someone doesn't like a plot twist.  It is used too often.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version