A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

"Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing

<< < (113/134) > >>

Piratelvr1121:

--- Quote from: TaurusGirl on March 08, 2013, 09:02:03 PM ---One that several of my friends (who are educated and know better!) keep using the "getting my hair did".

No. You are getting your hair DONE.

>:(

--- End quote ---

Ugh, that bugs me too!

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: TaurusGirl on March 08, 2013, 09:02:03 PM ---One that several of my friends (who are educated and know better!) keep using the "getting my hair did".

No. You are getting your hair DONE.

>:(

--- End quote ---

Are you sure they're not making fun of that saying?  I find with people who should know better do these things to poke fun at people who actually same them.

cabbageweevil:

--- Quote from: DottyG on March 08, 2013, 12:55:33 PM ---
--- Quote ---With respect: re the former -- in my understanding, "Good on..." has been for well over a century, established Australian English as a congratulatory phrase: the way that is said there, what elsewhere is more usually expressed as "Good for...".  It may not be patrician English, but it is for sure linguistic "standard operational procedure" in that part of the world.  I'd think that Aussie participants in the forum would concur here.
--- End quote ---

And, equally with respect, many of the other phrases and words mentioned in this thread are "established" and "standard operational procedure" in various areas as well.  I've seen quite a few that, while may not be favored in some parts of the US or world, are absolutely correct in my area.  And I'm assuming that's true of ones that irk me as well.

--- End quote ---

I'll use the word "Antipodean" -- I'm in the UK, so Australia and New Zealand are our geographical antipodes.  The crux of the thing for me is, that (as touched on in more recent posts), "trendy" expressions, for most of us, imply spoken or written stuff which has shown up only recently. For most of my 64 years of life, I've been aware of "Good on..." as an Antipodean congratulatory expression (and to me personally, rather a nice one); so to me, very far from new. It so happens that I'm not annoyed by the expression itself, or by its being borrowed by other peoples. Of course, everyone is free to find any form of words, irritating !

(MariaE, thanks for confirmation from the Antipodes.)

veronaz:

setting boundaries

out of my comfort zone

think outside the box

baglady:
I'm in the U.S. and have been in love with "good on" since the first time I heard it. I occasionally slip it into my writing to avoid the double "for" ("good on you for doing ___" instead of "good for you for doing ___") because the latter feels clunky to me.

There aren't any "trendy" expressions I'm tired of, because by the time they get to my 54-year-old ears they aren't trendy anymore! Some will go out of style ("Groovy!") and some will stick around ("No way!"). I will continue to use the language I'm comfortable with, just as I wear the clothes I'm comfortable with, despite fashion trends.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version