A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

"Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing

<< < (134/134)

mrsholles:
Using the word "do" in ways that would make Webster weep.   "will you do?"  instead of "will you take?" or "I'll do the cheeseburger" when ordering in a restaurant.  It drives me nuts. 

Baby mama/daddy, amiright (ugh, that's like nails on a chalkboard),

I have no idea what "hashtag" means, but I'm sure that would annoy me, too. 

cabbageweevil:

--- Quote from: mrsholles on July 06, 2013, 01:29:01 AM ---I have no idea what "hashtag" means, but I'm sure that would annoy me, too.

--- End quote ---
For some strange reason, the word makes me think of the ancient Middle East.

daen:

--- Quote from: cabbageweevil on July 06, 2013, 07:17:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: mrsholles on July 06, 2013, 01:29:01 AM ---I have no idea what "hashtag" means, but I'm sure that would annoy me, too.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Hashtag -> hashish ->hookah bars -> Middle East? That's where my mind went.

I believe that hashtag refers to # followed by a word or phrasemushedtogetherlikethis, used in Twitter (and now Facebook, I think) to tag a tweet as referring to something specific like #oklahomatornado or #jennysparty or #YOLO or #toosexyformyshirt... or whatever bandwagon you wish to jump on (or start).

cabbageweevil:

--- Quote from: daen on July 06, 2013, 10:50:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: cabbageweevil on July 06, 2013, 07:17:39 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Hashtag -> hashish ->hookah bars -> Middle East? That's where my mind went.

I believe that hashtag refers to # followed by a word or phrasemushedtogetherlikethis, used in Twitter (and now Facebook, I think) to tag a tweet as referring to something specific like #oklahomatornado or #jennysparty or #YOLO or #toosexyformyshirt... or whatever bandwagon you wish to jump on (or start).

--- End quote ---
It seemed to suggest to me Babylon or the Akkadians or the Hittites, don't know quite why. Anyway, thanks for the "real-world" explanation !

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: Diane AKA Traska on January 10, 2013, 02:08:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: lisat on January 10, 2013, 11:22:05 AM ---Hero    I think that this is the one word that gets me everytime I hear it. Do people really understand what a hero is? To me it now is such a diluted word that doesn't mean anything.

I don't tex so when I see all those abbreviations I have no idea what they mean.

--- End quote ---

Thank you!  Hero dilution is, other than "literal" dilution, my biggest language peeve.  A person is not a hero just because they save a life, at least to my definition.  My definition of a hero is someone who saves someone's life through risk to themselves in a situation that the hero has no specific training for.  (If you're trained, you're very brave, but it's not heroic, it's your job!)

--- End quote ---
And one is NOT a hero for playing a professional sport!  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version