Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 52923 times)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »

Nom, nom, nom

Especially the last one, it makes me want to scream "grow up"!

And then it became a verb: nomming.

m2kbug

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
I'd never heard of "fetch", and I couldn't figure out what it meant!  ;D  I'm not sure I see the point of replacing a "true" swear word with a non-offensive word when it's obvious that the word it's replacing is one of the big ones.  Then again, I've probably done something similar once or twice, so I shouldn't talk!

There's "I'm not feeling it", too.  I didn't realize how odd it could sometimes sound until it came out of my mother's mouth.

To me "clean cussing" sounds just as bad as regular cussing.  Obviously you're going to clean up your language in public and use "replacement words" from time to time, but cursing up like a clean sailor is still ugly.  You don't say the F-word, why is fetch or fick acceptable?  I keep getting after my son because of his "clean cussing" when he's playing his video games because it really is no different in my mind and sounds much the same.  "Language dear!" I keep saying.  "Shoot" doesn't hit my cuss-o-meter the same way, maybe because it blends with "shucks" in my mind. 

I'm glad someone brought up baby daddy, baby momma, and rents...those annoy me too.  I'm really enjoying seeing what people find annoying.  Some of the things that annoy others, I'm totally okay with.  I never use "nom, nom" in a conversation, but funny for captions.  :)  Do people actually use "nom" in a sentence and conversation?  How?

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »
  I never use "nom, nom" in a conversation, but funny for captions.  :)  Do people actually use "nom" in a sentence and conversation?  How?

I am guilty of using "nom" in a sentence. Most frequently is the phase, " I'm going to nom you to death!" as I start chewing on one of my coworkers. I also use it as a rating preference when asked about meal opinion (Pizza = 2 noms, Chinese 3 noms, etc)
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »
I'd never heard of "fetch", and I couldn't figure out what it meant!  ;D  I'm not sure I see the point of replacing a "true" swear word with a non-offensive word when it's obvious that the word it's replacing is one of the big ones.  Then again, I've probably done something similar once or twice, so I shouldn't talk!

There's "I'm not feeling it", too.  I didn't realize how odd it could sometimes sound until it came out of my mother's mouth.

To me "clean cussing" sounds just as bad as regular cussing.  Obviously you're going to clean up your language in public and use "replacement words" from time to time, but cursing up like a clean sailor is still ugly.  You don't say the F-word, why is fetch or fick acceptable?  I keep getting after my son because of his "clean cussing" when he's playing his video games because it really is no different in my mind and sounds much the same.  "Language dear!" I keep saying.  "Shoot" doesn't hit my cuss-o-meter the same way, maybe because it blends with "shucks" in my mind. 

I'm glad someone brought up baby daddy, baby momma, and rents...those annoy me too.  I'm really enjoying seeing what people find annoying.  Some of the things that annoy others, I'm totally okay with.  I never use "nom, nom" in a conversation, but funny for captions.  :)  Do people actually use "nom" in a sentence and conversation?  How?

"I'm going to nom on those doughnuts."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
FWIW, I went to a parochial school where we would get in trouble for using shoot, heck, darn. I don't remember anybody being bad enough to try even a clean version of the "f word". I don't think I knew it existed until I was at least 14 or 15 since I hadn't heard my parents or any of the adults they socialized with ever use it. I probably heard it from a kid at school but most of my friends had parents simikar to mine.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
I hate the shortened versions of proper words

nite/night
lite/light

diesel_darlin

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWi7CLoZ2Q

I say "nom" and I blame it on this video.  :-[ ;D

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »
Reaching out to and going forward and taking whatever to the next level are what I find annoying.

Spotted Pony

Oh, this! I'm following up by reaching out and right-sizing and optimizing our best practices...ugh! Whenever I hear "corporate jargon," my antenna goes up and I wonder what's being obfuscated.

Army Mom

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Kick the can

I hate that phrase! Just leave the poor can alone!

I'm sorry, I don't understand.  I thought kick the can is a children's game where you literally kick a tin can.  Is it also a phase that mean something else too?

Kicking the can can also mean dying.  Mel Brooks used that visual image in 'Blazing Saddles'.

Sorry I should have explained! In US politics, this phrase keeps popping up. Each side accuses the other of "kicking the can down the road" as in a temporary fix that puts off the perceived real problem. It makes me think of that video with the guy crying about Britney Spears "leave her alone!"

m2kbug

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »
Reaching out to and going forward and taking whatever to the next level are what I find annoying.

Spotted Pony

Oh, this! I'm following up by reaching out and right-sizing and optimizing our best practices...ugh! Whenever I hear "corporate jargon," my antenna goes up and I wonder what's being obfuscated.

Corporate jargon, when I hear "team" or "team player", I get a little nervous.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
What's the significance of like a sunrise? Edited as phone and nursing don't work.

I'm presuming it's from this series of ads for a car insurer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ubtVs5n6A

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »
I don't mind the occasional 'nom'. To me, it means that something is so delicious you want to rub it in your hair. 

CharlieBraun

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
"At the end of the day" especially in corporate speak.

Someone please fill me in on "like a sunrise?"
"We ate the pies."

sweet_basil

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
I really hate seeing false words like penii and fetii. Penis is not penii because only words that end in -us (singular) can end in -ii. (plural) Fetii is NOT correct because fetus is derived from Latin's fourth declension stating that in plural form fetus would remain the same, but produced differently.

Stop mangling Latin!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
I really hate seeing false words like penii and fetii. Penis is not penii because only words that end in -us (singular) can end in -ii. (plural) Fetii is NOT correct because fetus is derived from Latin's fourth declension stating that in plural form fetus would remain the same, but produced differently.

Stop mangling Latin!

That goes for octopus and cactus, too.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.