Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 45773 times)

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »
I've posted this before: Shut the front door.

I second that one, especially in that stupid A&W commercial!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2013, 11:19:58 PM »
Another person here asking about the sunrise thing. Can someone explain?

And I agree with Sharnita - "loving on" is very much a saying.

m2kbug

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2013, 12:02:22 AM »
Blending two posts:

I really hate seeing false words like penii and fetii. Penis is not penii because only words that end in -us (singular) can end in -ii. (plural) Fetii is NOT correct because fetus is derived from Latin's fourth declension stating that in plural form fetus would remain the same, but produced differently.

That goes for octopus and cactus, too.

It's penes, fetishes, ocotopodes, and cacti, correct?  I can see the easy slip to peni or octopi, but 'eeds' and 'eens' aren't a part of the average daily language for plurals and are easily missed.  I think "unproper plurals" (penises or octopuses) are becoming more widely accepted, no one speaks Latin.  "Cactuses" can annoy me, living amongst the prickly beasts all my life...it's cacti.  I'm kind of scratching my head how fetish becomes fetii.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:08:23 AM by m2kbug »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2013, 02:00:33 AM »
Blending two posts:

I really hate seeing false words like penii and fetii. Penis is not penii because only words that end in -us (singular) can end in -ii. (plural) Fetii is NOT correct because fetus is derived from Latin's fourth declension stating that in plural form fetus would remain the same, but produced differently.

That goes for octopus and cactus, too.

It's penes, fetishes, ocotopodes, and cacti, correct?  I can see the easy slip to peni or octopi, but 'eeds' and 'eens' aren't a part of the average daily language for plurals and are easily missed.  I think "unproper plurals" (penises or octopuses) are becoming more widely accepted, no one speaks Latin.  "Cactuses" can annoy me, living amongst the prickly beasts all my life...it's cacti.  I'm kind of scratching my head how fetish becomes fetii.

People are using fetii as a plural for fetus, not fetish.  :)

The plural of fetus is fetuses according to wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetus_%28biology%29#Etymology_and_spelling_variations

Fetishes is a plural of fetish which is an entirely different word.

Plural of octopus can be one of several forms (octopuses and octopodes both being acceptable), but the most commonly used one is octopuses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus#Etymology_and_pluralization
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:04:51 AM by WolfWench »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2013, 02:13:04 AM »
TLDR annoys the heck out of me (unless it's used by the original writer themselves as a summary line for lazy readers, which can often be used to humourous effect).

YOLO makes a little muscle under my eye twitch in irritation. A friend of mine ended up sitting next to an annoying group of people in a park who had a kitten with them they'd named "Yolo the adventure cat". <sigh>
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2013, 02:16:02 AM »
Another person here asking about the sunrise thing. Can someone explain?

Googling the phrase seems to give an impression of an insurance advert that uses it as a catch phrase(?). I'm unclear on exact tone and usage since I can't watch videos on my pc.

m2kbug

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:20 AM »

People are using fetii as a plural for fetus, not fetish.  :)

The plural of fetus is fetuses according to wiki.

LOL, I really mis-read and went in a completely different direction on that one! 

How is fetuses or feti a trendy word?  I have never heard amazeballs or meggings either.  Just wondering.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2013, 02:39:52 AM »
Oh Em Gee
 I have a friend who will type the letters out phonetically (is that the right word?) on FB/texts, and I know people who actually say it in real, live conversations.

Also, all versions of LOL either typed or spoken:
Lol
Lawl
Lawlz
Lolz
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

nuit93

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2013, 02:42:23 AM »
"shiny" used in place of "cool" or "okay".

Look, I miss Firefly too, but come on!

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2013, 02:50:50 AM »
S.A.N.D.W.I.C.H.   Sandwich.  It always has been sandwich, ever since the Earl Of got peckish while at the gaming table but was on too great a winning streak to get up, and got all "Minion, slap a piece of that ham between two pieces of bread and bring it to me, and Lud! I've invented something new in the gourmet dining line!"  instead.

Sandwich.  Sand-wich.   Sandwich.

Not 'sammich'.  Never has it been 'sammich'.  Never should it be 'sammich'.  That's an awful word. It's childish.  It's on a par with those coy nitwits who don't relieve themselves, but who 'go potty' instead.  It.  Is.  STUPID.

You'll have gathered that I don't like that one!  ;)

Oh and 'furbaby'  is so cutesy and sickening that it almost brings me out in hives.  I don't have a furbaby.  I have a dog.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

WolfWay

« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2013, 03:03:37 AM »

Oh and 'furbaby'  is so cutesy and sickening that it almost brings me out in hives.  I don't have a furbaby.  I have a dog.
Friend of mine has parents who have finally got used to the idea that she isn't going to give them grandkids. So now they call her cats their "grandkittens".

Iris

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2013, 03:36:23 AM »

Friend of mine has parents who have finally got used to the idea that she isn't going to give them grandkids. So now they call her cats their "grandkittens".

I don't object to it because it's cutesy, because hey, whatever floats your boat. It just annoys me because dogs (in particular) are noble animals who have lived alongside humankind and helped us and hunted with us and protected us for centuries and I hate to hear them reduced to the level of dolls. I have a similar reaction when DD1 talks to our dog in baby talk.

Though I suppose assisting people who feel as though they are missing some essential companionship in their lives may just be yet another step in the relationship between humans and dogs and maybe I just need to get over myself. *sigh*
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2013, 04:45:07 AM »
I have always loathed "kick to the curb", myself.

And while I agree vayjayjay sounds stupid, it belittles women about as much as willie, Mr Happy, or winky do for men.  I just hate it because it's a silly pet name.

Also, "pimp" when used in a positive manner.  Pimps are reprehensible parasites, not worldly men about town.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »
I say "sammich" sometimes if I'm in a silly mood, but that's just around my family.  I also use emoticons or type "LOL" to add some context to what I'm saying in IM chats, because nuances of tone don't translate very well and misunderstandings can occur.

My mom will sometimes say "pooter" instead of "computer", and it drives me crazy.  That term could easily be used for one's backside because...well...yeah.  Plus, she's old enough (IE not a toddler) to pronounce it correctly.  It's sort of a family joke; she does it to get on my nerves, it does, I correct her, and we go back and forth with it until one of us gets tired of it.  Yeah...we're mature.  ;D

cabbageweevil

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:57 AM »
YOLO makes a little muscle under my eye twitch in irritation. A friend of mine ended up sitting next to an annoying group of people in a park who had a kitten with them they'd named "Yolo the adventure cat". <sigh>

Shouldn't they have named it "Yolnt"...?