Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 45017 times)

Gyburc

Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »
Here in the UK, a couple of years ago, someone invented the term 'yummy mummy', referring to an attractive woman with children. It drives me up the wall, for no real reason. I think it's just the childishness of the term.

Also, reporters on the BBC have taken to referring to 'mums' rather than 'mothers' in serious news broadcasts. Since when did the word 'mother' become too complicated to use??
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:50 AM »
Agreeing with all the foregoing except for "furbaby" because I am my cats' mum.

The E-Hell "pod."  Sorry, folks; the original word makes me think of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and doesn't make sense even with the explanation.

Let me also add "Oh, snap!"  I'm not sure what it means, but it sounds so bratty.

scotcat60

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »
"Butter soft leather" used by fashion writers.

Butter is not soft when you buy it in the shops out of the cool cabinets. It's only soft if you leave it out of the fridge, but in hot weather, it goes runny, and rancid.

As for sammich, we have butties and sarnies in the UK, as well as sandwiches. There was a sandwich bar in North London called Sam Widges.
And no one is an actress or a heroine these days. Even a well known freezer store had a campaign referring to Mums as heroes.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2013, 08:03:35 AM »
As for sammich, we have butties and sarnies in the UK, as well as sandwiches. There was a sandwich bar in North London called Sam Widges.

UK here, too.  Oddly, I can live with a 'butty' as long as it has bacon associated with it, but I hate 'sarnie' as much as I hate sammich.  Isn't it strange how some words just trip our triggers?
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Geekychick1984

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »
I think it's already been mentioned, but I really hate "it is what it is."  It's just a reduntantly pointless saying, and I hate it.  It should be "that's the way it is."

Also, anything that dumbs down the English language or tries to be cutesy (i.e., cray-cray, vajayjay, etc.).  I think I pretty much hate internet speak/text speak.  I do some proofreading at my company, and for some of the younger employees, I'm starting to see this in some of the reports. :(

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:13 AM »
YOLO makes a little muscle under my eye twitch in irritation. A friend of mine ended up sitting next to an annoying group of people in a park who had a kitten with them they'd named "Yolo the adventure cat". <sigh>

Shouldn't they have named it "Yolnt"...?

I thought the same thing!  ;D ;D ;D

The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snowflake

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
As much as lingo drives me up the wall, I have to admit that I lived in the 80s and said all kinds of horrible phrases so I can't really blame kids these days.

Though when someone my age (30+) uses some new phrase and tries to pretend that it makes them cute, hip and young
 it makes me want to smack them into adulthood.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
As much as lingo drives me up the wall, I have to admit that I lived in the 80s and said all kinds of horrible phrases so I can't really blame kids these days.

Ah, the 80's.  We all used Valley Girl accents and phases even if we lived in the midwest.  It's a wonder our parents and teachers didn't smack us (though I'm sure they, like, you know, totally wanted to).

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »

Ah, the 80's.  We all used Valley Girl accents and phases even if we lived in the midwest.  It's a wonder our parents and teachers didn't smack us (though I'm sure they, like, you know, totally wanted to).

Pssh!  As if!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:33 PM »

Pssh!  As if!

Like, gag me with a spoon!

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »
"Awesome!", probably the most overused word in the english language, IMO, and usually applied to things that are far less than that. The miracle of life, the vastness of the universe, or the devastating power of a Category 5 hurricane, for example- tose are things that are truly awesome. But if the fact that I agreed to a simple request, or that I ordered a burger from someone's restaurant menu is sufficient to fill a person with a sense of awe and wonder, they are very easily impressed!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »

Also, "pimp" when used in a positive manner.  Pimps are reprehensible parasites, not worldly men about town.

Pet peeve of all time.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

m2kbug

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »

Also, "pimp" when used in a positive manner.  Pimps are reprehensible parasites, not worldly men about town.

Pet peeve of all time.

And "bling."

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »
Not finishing a sentence ending in with, for example,  "We wanted to come with".......him, her, them, finish your dingdangity sentence people!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »
"Awesome!", probably the most overused word in the english language, IMO, and usually applied to things that are far less than that. The miracle of life, the vastness of the universe, or the devastating power of a Category 5 hurricane, for example- tose are things that are truly awesome. But if the fact that I agreed to a simple request, or that I ordered a burger from someone's restaurant menu is sufficient to fill a person with a sense of awe and wonder, they are very easily impressed!

Not quite as annoying as its counterpart, "Amaaaayyyyzzzzing!" So, so tired of hearing that word.  Not everything can be amazing, and not everything that is amazing, is amazing in a nice way. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical