Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 50505 times)

CharlieBraun

Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2013, 01:14:34 PM »
S.A.N.D.W.I.C.H.   Sandwich.  It always has been sandwich, ever since the Earl Of got peckish while at the gaming table but was on too great a winning streak to get up, and got all "Minion, slap a piece of that ham between two pieces of bread and bring it to me, and Lud! I've invented something new in the gourmet dining line!"  instead.

Sandwich.  Sand-wich.   Sandwich.

Not 'sammich'.  Never has it been 'sammich'.  Never should it be 'sammich'.  That's an awful word. It's childish.  It's on a par with those coy nitwits who don't relieve themselves, but who 'go potty' instead.  It.  Is.  STUPID.

You'll have gathered that I don't like that one!  ;)

POD with a capital on every letter.  It's twee, it's over-precious, and it's over-done.  If you can't open your mouth wide enough to complete the word, then perhaps the object cannot enter either.
"We ate the pies."

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
Not finishing a sentence ending in with, for example,  "We wanted to come with".......him, her, them, finish your dingdangity sentence people!

Or common around here: "Where are you at?"

(Although I'm not sure that's trendy.)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
S.A.N.D.W.I.C.H.   Sandwich.  It always has been sandwich, ever since the Earl Of got peckish while at the gaming table but was on too great a winning streak to get up, and got all "Minion, slap a piece of that ham between two pieces of bread and bring it to me, and Lud! I've invented something new in the gourmet dining line!"  instead.

Sandwich.  Sand-wich.   Sandwich.

Not 'sammich'.  Never has it been 'sammich'.  Never should it be 'sammich'.  That's an awful word. It's childish.  It's on a par with those coy nitwits who don't relieve themselves, but who 'go potty' instead.  It.  Is.  STUPID.

You'll have gathered that I don't like that one!  ;)

POD with a capital on every letter.  It's twee, it's over-precious, and it's over-done.  If you can't open your mouth wide enough to complete the word, then perhaps the object cannot enter either.

Sammy as an alternative is also incredibly annoying.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

m2kbug

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
Not finishing a sentence ending in with, for example,  "We wanted to come with".......him, her, them, finish your dingdangity sentence people!

Ending a sentence with "so."  I was out of toilet paper and went to the store to get some more, so..."  Er, so what?  What?  Is there more you want to say?   :D

Would this constitute as a trendy expression?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »

Ending a sentence with "so."  I was out of toilet paper and went to the store to get some more, so..."  Er, so what?  What?  Is there more you want to say?   :D

Would this constitute as a trendy expression?

Yes, I think it would.  I always ask, "...so what?"  (Not in "So what?  I walked on the moon!").  Eagle has stopped ending things with "so"; I consider it a success.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
"Awesome!", probably the most overused word in the english language, IMO, and usually applied to things that are far less than that. The miracle of life, the vastness of the universe, or the devastating power of a Category 5 hurricane, for example- tose are things that are truly awesome. But if the fact that I agreed to a simple request, or that I ordered a burger from someone's restaurant menu is sufficient to fill a person with a sense of awe and wonder, they are very easily impressed!

It doesn't mean what it used to.  It did used to mean awe inspiring, now it just means something pretty positive.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »
Baby Daddy
Baby Mama
Rents (parents)

:::cries::: Ha, no not really. I put about 5 seconds into thinking of screen names and a commercial for Tina Fey's movie was on when I was changing this one. (I realized my old one, combined with the picture, was too personal for anonymity.)

Thanks to whoever explained TL;DR! I added it because yes, I find it supremely rude when people post it in response to others. Why even respond then?

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »
Also, nine pages in and nobody has brought "ermagherd" into the converation?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
Baby Daddy
Baby Mama
Rents (parents)

To be fair, Cabbage and I sometimes (to each other) call our parents "the rental units," but that's a joke.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Emmy

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »
Baby Daddy
Baby Mama
Rents (parents)

To be fair, Cabbage and I sometimes (to each other) call our parents "the rental units," but that's a joke.

DH and I will often shorten words, but we usually do that only when talking with each other.  We say rental units too.

I dislike furbaby as well.  It gives me the mental image of a human baby covered in fur. 

I also think not completing sentences is annoying.  I have a friend who would often write similar to this: "If I don't see you Tuesday, I'll see you...." or "We could go catch a movie or......"

What is YOLO supposed to mean anyway?

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2013, 02:21:57 PM »
Also, nine pages in and nobody has brought "ermagherd" into the converation?

Ugh! That one is really bad because it purports to make fun of someone with a speech impediment.

Some years ago, there was a very annoying trend on message board.  It consisted in adding a question mark after the subject of a sentence.

"You? Are an idiot."  "This recipe? Rocks."

Once in a while it would have been alright, but it got to be a meme and it was irritating.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »
Almost all of the above (I'm the fussy type), plus:

"We're pregnant," used by couples to announce a pregnancy. Pretty sure only one of you is pregnant unless there have been recent advances in medical science that I've overlooked.

The overuse and misuse of the word "insane."
Example 1: "These cookies have an insane amount of nuts in them."
Example 2: An annoying commercial for I don't recall what in which a harried mother exclaims, "Mornings around here aren't just crazy, they're insane!!"

Corporate-speak. All of it.

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

CakeBeret

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
How could I have forgotten? I have a friend who thinks the "ehrmahgerd" is so hilarious, and uses that manner of speaking with other words/phrases as well. "Ehrmahgerd, it's mah behrthday!" It makes me think violent thoughts. :P
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
Some years ago, there was a very annoying trend on message board.  It consisted in adding a question mark after the subject of a sentence.

"You? Are an idiot."  "This recipe? Rocks."

That reminds me of another one: "Rock" used as a verb.

Oh - and one more: the increasing tendency of people to mash what should be two words into one. "Rockstar," "highschool," and "nevermind" are examples.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:04 PM »
Esan ozenki!

Arizona