Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 49517 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »
Like a BOSS.

I wonder how that one came about.

snowflake

« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »
What is YOLO supposed to mean anyway?

You Only Live Once. But I prefer http://www.alifelessordinary.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/yolo.jpg.

This is an extension of the whole "Carpe Diem" thing that went around after Dead Poets Society came out.  I am OK with the sentiment but got annoyed that it was jump started by a movie where some kid realized that to live his dream he had to get off the gravy train and ended it.  Well, glad you seized THAT day.  I'm all for going for opportunity,  but to this day the phrase "Carpe Diem" sets my teeth on edge.

YOLO annoys me because it's said by too many people who are justifying stupid decisions as if "who cares, we might die."  Yes, but you're statistically much more likely to live and make the rest of us listen to you whine as you live with the consequences.

LibraryLady

« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
Haven't read through them all, but I detest 'baby daddy'

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »
Like a BOSS.

I wonder how that one came about.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that probably originally referred to being as "cool" a Mafia boss.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
I can't extricate "sammich" from the whole "make me a sammich, woman!" thing which pervades videogames (specifically voice chat on things like Xbox live) - the sexism makes my blood boil.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »
Oh, I nearly forgot "swag."

I wish I had forgotten it.

Like a boss rose to popularity due to the "Like a Boss" song from SNL by Andy Sandberg/Lonely Island. (It existed as a phrase before that, it was just not quite as entertaining.)

As an warning, the song is totally inappropriate :P
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
Amazeballs
Totes amazeballs

On the other hand, I doubt I will ever get sick of adding 'like a sunrise' to every sentence!

I'm sorry but I am, I refuse to take part in that.
That woman is despicable.  :(

"like a sunrise"? who?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Apparently it's some woman named Rhonda.  I still don't get it, but that's all I'm able to find about this "sunrise" thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_kKUWlslo

nuit93

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »
How could I have forgotten? I have a friend who thinks the "ehrmahgerd" is so hilarious, and uses that manner of speaking with other words/phrases as well. "Ehrmahgerd, it's mah behrthday!" It makes me think violent thoughts. :P

A restaurant near my b/f's had a sign up for their breakfast special: "Ermagerd, perncerks!"

Amava

« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
How could I have forgotten? I have a friend who thinks the "ehrmahgerd" is so hilarious, and uses that manner of speaking with other words/phrases as well. "Ehrmahgerd, it's mah behrthday!" It makes me think violent thoughts. :P

A restaurant near my b/f's had a sign up for their breakfast special: "Ermagerd, perncerks!"

Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Just kidding, add "Pics or it didn't happen" to the list, too.  ;D

nuit93

« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Just kidding, add "Pics or it didn't happen" to the list, too.  ;D

I wish I had taken a photo, unfortunately I forgot...it was a few months ago.

kckgirl

« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »
I also don't like to see "walkies" in place of sandwich.
Maryland

kckgirl

« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »
I didn't type walkies. I typed sammies for sanswich. Stupid tablet wouldn't let me edit!!!

Maryland

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
Someone mention "swag", and that reminded me of someone I know who uses (overuses, really) the word "swagtastic".  I was thinking, "Okay, I know the 'tastic' part came from the word 'fantastic', but now I have to look up 'swag' to make sure this isn't an insult..."

Nope, it isn't.  It just sounds strange to me.

Iris

« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
As much as lingo drives me up the wall, I have to admit that I lived in the 80s and said all kinds of horrible phrases so I can't really blame kids these days.

Though when someone my age (30+) uses some new phrase and tries to pretend that it makes them cute, hip and young
 it makes me want to smack them into adulthood.

*sheepishly raises hand* I do have a tendency to adopt new phrases, but I swear it is just a side effect of loving to mess with language plus the fact that I spend about 4 hours a day talking to teenagers. The latter reason is also why I hate YOLO so much. It's like someone took all the stupidity* that is inherent in youth and distilled it into four letters.

I promise I don't think it makes me look cool though. I'm just quietly enjoying myself.

*I would like to emphatically state that young=/= stupid. I am referring to that lack of understanding of consequences that many otherwise lovely and intelligent teenagers suffer from.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.