Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 54981 times)

fishy

Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2013, 01:13:25 AM »
Apparently it's some woman named Rhonda.  I still don't get it, but that's all I'm able to find about this "sunrise" thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_kKUWlslo

There's a series of ads for an insurance comapny in Australia - this is one of them.

The drinks server in Bali tells Rhonda, who's a pretty average-looking woman, moreso since she has the glasses tan, that she looks hot today - like a sunrise.

It's just kind of an odd ending to the sentence, and it's become a bit of a phrase here.

Yep - the ads are pretty well known and 'like a sunrise' is quoted quite a bit. I like them and find them funny. A previous poster thinks that Rhonda is despicable, just wondering if you could explain why?

kckgirl

« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2013, 05:58:49 AM »
I abhor what CRUD MONKEYS! stands for, and I wish the abbreviation and the expanded version would disappear. It's offensive to me, and I hate that it's become so mainstream.

And I have no idea what CRUD MONKEYS! stands for...but I'm ok with that.
Maryland

Geekychick1984

« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2013, 06:29:02 AM »
Just thought of another one that bothers me, usually said by young ladies (or teenagers): "I know, right".  Usually you compliment them on something, such as "that's a nice color on you", and you get back "I know, right!". 

Amava

« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2013, 06:48:11 AM »
Just thought of another one that bothers me, usually said by young ladies (or teenagers): "I know, right".  Usually you compliment them on something, such as "that's a nice color on you", and you get back "I know, right!".

Haha, well I very much prefer that to people who diffuse and minimize every compliment, no matter how small, you give them!
"That's a lovely dress!"
"Oh, this old thing?"

Of course, "thank you" is the best (and most polite) response to a compliment. But I will take the "I know, right!" agreement over self-depreciation any day!  ;D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »
Here in the UK, a couple of years ago, someone invented the term 'yummy mummy', referring to an attractive woman with children. It drives me up the wall, for no real reason. I think it's just the childishness of the term.

That's bad, but not quite as bad as one of my peeves: MILF (Mom I'd like to eff)

I learned that one from Law & Order SVU.  And I agree that it's gross.

Is THAT what that stands for??!!?? Ew. That's all I can say. Ew.

Verloona Ti

« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
I abhor what CRUD MONKEYS! stands for, and I wish the abbreviation and the expanded version would disappear. It's offensive to me, and I hate that it's become so mainstream.

I.Had.No.Clue.

I honestly thought-in my sheltered innocence-that CM was just a cute phrase, like "Leapin' lizards!" or "Good grief!" or  "Great Caesar's Ghost!" or-SOMETHING,  just  a cute , inoffensive way of saying how shocked or startled one is.

I had no idea...So I googled, and now my innocence is shattered.
Thanks. I think...

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »
Apparently it's some woman named Rhonda.  I still don't get it, but that's all I'm able to find about this "sunrise" thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_kKUWlslo

There's a series of ads for an insurance comapny in Australia - this is one of them.

The drinks server in Bali tells Rhonda, who's a pretty average-looking woman, moreso since she has the glasses tan, that she looks hot today - like a sunrise.

It's just kind of an odd ending to the sentence, and it's become a bit of a phrase here.

Ah, so it's an annoying commercial like Flo from Progressive over here.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »

I.Had.No.Clue.

I honestly thought-in my sheltered innocence-that CM was just a cute phrase, like "Leapin' lizards!" or "Good grief!" or  "Great Caesar's Ghost!" or-SOMETHING,  just  a cute , inoffensive way of saying how shocked or startled one is.

Thanks. I think...

I think DottyG meant Oh Em Gee and Crud Monkeys is just the filter taking over.  I don't seriously think E-Hell uses it for what the UrbanDictionary says it is.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »

I.Had.No.Clue.

Thanks. I think...

I think DottyG meant Oh Em Gee and Crud Monkeys is just the filter taking over.  I don't seriously think E-Hell uses it for what the UrbanDictionary says it is.

I looked it up and I'm still not getting it :/

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
OK, so I finally found out.  Thanks.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
Don't know if anyone's posted this one already, but I could do without "sausage party" for any gathering that happens to be male only.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
That calls up all sorts of unwelcome visuals.  Make it stop, make it stop!

m2kbug

« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »

And I have no idea what CRUD MONKEYS! stands for...but I'm ok with that.

CRUD MONKEYS is the eHell censor/replacement for O-M-G.  It might also be a replacement for another word, but I'm not sure about that.  I'm not sure why this is censored word, but I think that the use could be offensive regarding the deity and I think certain words trigger ads that do not align with what this group is about, so those are blocked and censored.  Cuss words get censored.  I think there's a glossary on the replacements around here somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:44:09 AM by m2kbug »

twoferrets

« Reply #178 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
Hubby or Hubs

Kiddo

The phrase "on trend" really irritates me.

Any number of corporate buzzwords.  A coworker of mine just learned the phrase "hot dot" and will NOT let it go.

Also, any use of invented sci-fi curse words-- probably because a really irritating person I used to know used them constantly.  Whatever the reason, I find myself tuning people out once those words come up. Frell, frack, you know the ones.  It is for this reason that Stephen King's "Lisey's Story" is not higher on my re-read list ("Smuck," Steve?  Really?!).

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2013, 10:57:07 AM »
Adding "--ster" or "--meister" to the ends of nouns.  Irritating enough from children but inexcusable from adults.