Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 58472 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
Adding "--ster" or "--meister" to the ends of nouns.  Irritating enough from children but inexcusable from adults.

The "ster" part I get, but "meister" means master, so it usually makes sense to me why it is being added to things.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

nuit93

« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
Here in the UK, a couple of years ago, someone invented the term 'yummy mummy', referring to an attractive woman with children. It drives me up the wall, for no real reason. I think it's just the childishness of the term.

That's bad, but not quite as bad as one of my peeves: MILF (Mom I'd like to eff)

Pretty sure that one started with the movie "American Pie".

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2013, 12:16:36 PM »
A couple of years ago a kid showed up with a sweatshirt that had a picture of a woman pushing a stroller and saying MILF. I told him he couldn't wear it. He was shocked and a little embarrassed. That was better than the responses.I usually got when I caught what kids thought were cleverly disguised drug or gun refrences and made them change or turn their shirts inside out.

snowflake

« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
As much as lingo drives me up the wall, I have to admit that I lived in the 80s and said all kinds of horrible phrases so I can't really blame kids these days.

Though when someone my age (30+) uses some new phrase and tries to pretend that it makes them cute, hip and young
 it makes me want to smack them into adulthood.

*sheepishly raises hand* I do have a tendency to adopt new phrases, but I swear it is just a side effect of loving to mess with language plus the fact that I spend about 4 hours a day talking to teenagers. The latter reason is also why I hate YOLO so much. It's like someone took all the stupidity* that is inherent in youth and distilled it into four letters.

I promise I don't think it makes me look cool though. I'm just quietly enjoying myself.

*I would like to emphatically state that young=/= stupid. I am referring to that lack of understanding of consequences that many otherwise lovely and intelligent teenagers suffer from.

It's all in the attitude I guess.  I have been known to use "FAIL" myself.  I know I probably look pathetic doing it at my age.

I suppose the annoyance comes with a remembrance when I was young and disturbed and teachers would try and talk to me in 80s lingo thinking that they "got" me.  I was like, "Um, could you stop trying to be 15?  I sort of need an adult in my life right now.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »
The term "Honey-Do List".  For me, it calls to mind a woman handing her husband a mile-long list of things she wants him to do then breezing off to go shopping or whatever while a cowed husband takes care of everything for her.

(Can you tell I highly value my ability to get things done on my own?)

"After all this time?"
"Always."

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »
Fracking. As in the f-word substitute used extensively in Battlestar Galactica. Somehow, I’ve come to know a lot of people who use it in real life.

Then again, it made my interpretation of all the "No Fracking" signs found in every other yard in my area of NY really interesting for a while back before the environmental issue became a household term.

(Side note, scrabble as a euphemism has completely overtaken my brain’s first response to that term, so now I have to inwardly snicker every time someone mentions the game—even offline—before remembering that there’s a non-euphemistic definition of the word.)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
I'm fully in agreement with MILF. First time I ever heard it was American Pie.

I don't like crude baby onesies, the sorts that say "All mommy wanted was a backrub"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »

I don't like crude baby onesies, the sorts that say "All mommy wanted was a backrub"

ew.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
I think DottyG meant Oh Em Gee and Crud Monkeys is just the filter taking over.  I don't seriously think E-Hell uses it for what the UrbanDictionary says it is.

Yes, the Oh Em Gee one.  I didn't realize that one was filtered.  Sorry!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
Y'all are hearing a lot more "trendy" phrases than I am.  I haven't heard a lot of these before!

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »

Sorry, but the idea of that on a onesie is making me crack up!!

edited due to DYAC!!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:27:45 AM by Cat-Fu »
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Iris

« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
As much as lingo drives me up the wall, I have to admit that I lived in the 80s and said all kinds of horrible phrases so I can't really blame kids these days.

Though when someone my age (30+) uses some new phrase and tries to pretend that it makes them cute, hip and young
 it makes me want to smack them into adulthood.

*sheepishly raises hand* I do have a tendency to adopt new phrases, but I swear it is just a side effect of loving to mess with language plus the fact that I spend about 4 hours a day talking to teenagers. The latter reason is also why I hate YOLO so much. It's like someone took all the stupidity* that is inherent in youth and distilled it into four letters.

I promise I don't think it makes me look cool though. I'm just quietly enjoying myself.

*I would like to emphatically state that young=/= stupid. I am referring to that lack of understanding of consequences that many otherwise lovely and intelligent teenagers suffer from.

It's all in the attitude I guess.  I have been known to use "FAIL" myself.  I know I probably look pathetic doing it at my age.

I suppose the annoyance comes with a remembrance when I was young and disturbed and teachers would try and talk to me in 80s lingo thinking that they "got" me.  I was like, "Um, could you stop trying to be 15?  I sort of need an adult in my life right now.

That annoys me too. Adults exist for a reason , and it's not to be a teenager's "bud".

I'm about the polar opposite to that. I'm approximately the same age as my students' mothers, so a well placed "Whatev-er" or "Cool story, bro" can have them rolling in the aisles :) It's great for defusing tense situations or lightening up a frustrating lesson.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »

Or the "50 Shades Baby" ones. Yuck.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »
I wonder what those babies will think when they see those onesies in photos later on.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
"Ew" is what I'd think if I saw that as an adult. 

I've seen the 50 Shades one and think that's worse than the backrub one.  I once made the mistake of looking at the wall of baby onesies in a Spencer's. :P Talk about tacky!  Not that I should be surprised, I know. I don't think there's a t-shirt in there that isn't tacky.

One example: Daddy used to get some till I came along.  Niiiice.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata