Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 58800 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
I must admit that with the right audience I do say 'groovy' or 'far out' a couple of times a year.

"Cool" seem perennial; I like that!

I hate when people put LOL in so many posts, but it is the equivalent to 'Ha-Ha' in old people's writing that drives me nuts, too. At least I am consistent!

Most other things that annoy me will eventually go away. For example, I haven't heard something like, "I like that -- NOT!" or some sort of "EEEP" for an unacceptable response for a long time. I guess "I'm good" instead of 'No thank you" is acceptable and makes sense, and "No problem" instead of "You are welcome" makes sense, too, so I can live with them.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
I still say "dude" now and then but not as much as I used to. 

I did have to laugh recently when I heard someone say "sike!" Man I hadn't heard that since high school, really took me back!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Breezygirl

« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:17 PM »
"Scrabble" as a euphemism for sex.
Sorry e-hellions, I love you all, but it drives. me. crazy.  ;D

I'm sure I say a lot of things that annoy someof you, too, though, so it's all good. lol  >:D

I don't mind the scrabble term  but it drives. me. crazy. when. people put periods at the end of each word for emphasis. ;) lol :)

"That's what she said".  is one that bugs me.

Someday, somehow, somewhere.....

Amava

« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
"Scrabble" as a euphemism for sex.
Sorry e-hellions, I love you all, but it drives. me. crazy.  ;D

I'm sure I say a lot of things that annoy someof you, too, though, so it's all good. lol  >:D

I don't mind the scrabble term  but it drives. me. crazy. when. people put periods at the end of each word for emphasis. ;) lol :)

"That's what she said".  is one that bugs me.

XD sorry!

Personally I like "That's what she said" but I try to refrain from it on e-hell as much as possible because I know many people find it grating.  :D I usually just think it, and don't say (or write it).

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »
In the vein of "That’s what she said”… I don’t hear it very often anymore, but when I visit some of my family in “Missourah” I still see trucks stickered with it and all manner of novelty things printed to say:

“Get ’r done”

Also, my dad says it on occasion still.

Ugh.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
A thing which I find rather prevalent on the Internet:  people writing “a hat tip (or IMO worse, ‘a tip o’ the hat’) to (so-and-so), for”... whatever information or thing, borrowed for the writer’s blog-or-whatever.  Perhaps irrationally, this irks me for its making the writer seem so up-themself / courting admiration for being so cool / hip / flip / cutting-edge / knowledgeable, and condescending to pick up crumbs of info from lesser folk.  Why not just write straightforwardly of thanks, or acknowledgements?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:42 AM »
A thing which I find rather prevalent on the Internet:  people writing “a hat tip (or IMO worse, ‘a tip o’ the hat’) to (so-and-so), for”... whatever information or thing, borrowed for the writer’s blog-or-whatever.  Perhaps irrationally, this irks me for its making the writer seem so up-themself / courting admiration for being so cool / hip / flip / cutting-edge / knowledgeable, and condescending to pick up crumbs of info from lesser folk.  Why not just write straightforwardly of thanks, or acknowledgements?

With your love of all things old-fashioned, I'd have thought this was one idiom you'd have liked!  ;)

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
EPIC!!!

Everything according to A and his friends is/are EPIC!!!!
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

whatsanenigma

« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »
I really hate the term "vajayjay"! And I hate the term "vacay" because it reminds me of "vajayjay".

And I hate them both because they remind me of that show "Jay Jay the Jet Plane".

lisat

« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »
Hero    I think that this is the one word that gets me everytime I hear it. Do people really understand what a hero is? To me it now is such a diluted word that doesn't mean anything.

I don't tex so when I see all those abbreviations I have no idea what they mean. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »
The 50 Shades of [whatever] trend.  The 50 Shades of Kale cookbook.  The 50 Shades of Avocados.  50 Shades of Style.  50 Shades of Smoothies.  Not to mention all of the other books of the same genre as the original ripping off that title.

Somebody please make it stop!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »
Hero    I think that this is the one word that gets me everytime I hear it. Do people really understand what a hero is? To me it now is such a diluted word that doesn't mean anything.

I don't tex so when I see all those abbreviations I have no idea what they mean.

Thank you!  Hero dilution is, other than "literal" dilution, my biggest language peeve.  A person is not a hero just because they save a life, at least to my definition.  My definition of a hero is someone who saves someone's life through risk to themselves in a situation that the hero has no specific training for.  (If you're trained, you're very brave, but it's not heroic, it's your job!)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
Deleted because I think I got both too personal and too political.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:38:31 PM by Yvaine »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »
As far as not doing anything dangerous in the military, I have mixed feelings about that. Virtually everyone who goes into the military does so knowing thay there is a chance they will be sent inyo a dangerous situation. And while they are supposed to be sevured the reallity is that even dtsteside military basis are potential targets. I have not met anybody yet with the connection  who could/would safeguard themselves before going into the dervice do lousy hudband or not (and I do think that indicates a serious personality flaw) a person who voluntarily goes inyo the service does put their life on the line. It might never actively happen but they put it out there.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
As far as not doing anything dangerous in the military, I have mixed feelings about that. Virtually everyone who goes into the military does so knowing thay there is a chance they will be sent inyo a dangerous situation. And while they are supposed to be sevured the reallity is that even dtsteside military basis are potential targets. I have not met anybody yet with the connection  who could/would safeguard themselves before going into the dervice do lousy hudband or not (and I do think that indicates a serious personality flaw) a person who voluntarily goes inyo the service does put their life on the line. It might never actively happen but they put it out there.

Sharnita, I deleted my post because I rethought the potential controversial nature of it.

Nonetheless, I do think character plays a role in whether someone is a hero in my eyes, and if an awful person does something dangerous, he or she is still an awful person to me.