Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 55155 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
Let me clear up any confusion as to my statement:

Everyone who goes into the military with full knowledge that they could wind up in a war zone (there are some people who think they won't ever have to go to war, that they can treat military enrollment as boot camp + college grant, but that's not who I'm talking about here) is far braver than I.  But mere bravery doesn't make one heroic... otherwise, we'd have millions of heroes, and a hero is a one-in-a-million kind of person.  It's that above-and-beyond mentality that makes the hero. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »

Everyone who goes into the military with full knowledge that they could wind up in a war zone (there are some people who think they won't ever have to go to war, that they can treat military enrollment as boot camp + college grant, but that's not who I'm talking about here) is far braver than I.  But mere bravery doesn't make one heroic... otherwise, we'd have millions of heroes, and a hero is a one-in-a-million kind of person.  It's that above-and-beyond mentality that makes the hero.

Oh, I think Sharnita's criticizing my statement that I deleted. In retrospect it felt a little too much like a political minefield for this forum, but the gist was that I have a hard time seeing someone as a hero if they're an awful person, even if they've served in the military. Examples were my ex BIL who treated his family badly, and in a more extreme example, people who commit war crimes while in the military.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:56 PM »

Oh, I think Sharnita's criticizing my statement that I deleted. In retrospect it felt a little too much like a political minefield for this forum, but the gist was that I have a hard time seeing someone as a hero if they're an awful person, even if they've served in the military. Examples were my ex BIL who treated his family badly, and in a more extreme example, people who commit war crimes while in the military.

Here I thought your deletion may have been a response to me!  There's my good laugh for the day.  :D

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »

Here I thought your deletion may have been a response to me!  There's my good laugh for the day.  :D

Nah, I totally agree that "hero" has been diluted way too much.  :)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
"Well played!" I haaate it but I can't really explain why.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

wendelenn

« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
I have to admit that I'm getting a bit tired of "don't JADE". It's the trendy ehell term of the moment around here.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:41 PM »

I didn't see the original statement, but it makes sense to me. People are people, and an occupation is an occupation. It shouldn't define you as a person or whitewash character flaws. Most recent example are the (naughty words deleted) people in my squadron who have gotten DUIs. Even if they had done heroic actions, they are still jerks for endangering people around them.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
I'm also not sure that calling people in the military heroes is all that "trendy" unless we are willing to look at hundreds of years and multiple cultures as trendy. 

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2013, 11:04:01 PM »
Now I have that creepy Enrique Iglesias song stuck in my head.

I know it has been mentioned, but I figure that "swag" deserved another mention. Only because it seems to be accompanied by flat brim hats. I really, really, REALLY want to bend all the brims I see into normal baseball style configuration. I won't, but the urge is there.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
I'm also not sure that calling people in the military heroes is all that "trendy" unless we are willing to look at hundreds of years and multiple cultures as trendy.

Calling truly exemplary members heroes has always been with us, yes. It's calling every single person a hero that's new. I think it's an overcorrection for how military people were sometimes treated a few decades ago.

But we're getting into the debate I deleted my post to avoid. Let's get back onto less political stuff. How about "value add"? That's another bit of jargon that drives me nuts.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #220 on: January 10, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »
Now I have that creepy Enrique Iglesias song stuck in my head.

I know it has been mentioned, but I figure that "swag" deserved another mention. Only because it seems to be accompanied by flat brim hats. I really, really, REALLY want to bend all the brims I see into normal baseball style configuration. I won't, but the urge is there.

Me, too. After I turn them back around the right way.

My annoyance - "walla" instead of "voilą". Causes headaches in the same part of the brain as repeated stupid grammar and punctuation errors.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »
I agree that "hero" is misused a lot. Everyone knows that the correct term is "sub" or "grinder."  ;)

I'm a "hero member" of this forum, and I haven't saved any lives that I know of. I don't think the H word has been cheapened, necessarily, as much as it's just interpreted differently. To some people a hero is someone who saves lives (e.g. doctor). To others, it's someone who risks his own life to save others (firefighter, soldier in war zone). To others still, it's this definition from the dictionary: "a person ... who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements or noble qualities." Helen Keller is one of my heroes, and I don't recall reading about her running into any burning buildings or falling on any grenades.

One word I think definitely *has* been cheapened/corrupted is "diva." It means a (figuratively speaking) larger-than-life female singer -- think Maria Callas or Diana Ross. It doesn't mean just any famous female singer. (Sorry, Britney.) And it definitely doesn't mean spoiled, obnoxious female. (Sorry, all you "Toddlers & Tiaras" moms who describe your daughters' tantrums as "diva moments.")

And I can definitely live without hearing any other syllables amputated and replaced with S: "totes," "adorbs," "whatevs."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2013, 01:12:09 AM »
I agree that "hero" is misused a lot. Everyone knows that the correct term is "sub" or "grinder."  ;)

Oh no you DIN'T.  You did NOT just call a hoagie a sub!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2013, 04:12:37 AM »

I never knew that many people outside of PA don't call it a hoagie. I was so confused when I moved away...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:39 AM »

I never knew that many people outside of PA don't call it a hoagie. I was so confused when I moved away...

The first time I heard hoagie was on The Cosby Show and wondered what the heck Bill was talking about.

Like a PP, I'm also tired of JADE.