Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 45579 times)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »
Oh one more expression to go with "stabby". Saying you dislike something with "the hatred of a thousand suns". That's just over the top. Again it's simpler to just say you don't like something.

But if we just simply said what we feel in plain words, it would be really dry.  Language isn't just for communicating information.  It also has poetic and humorous features.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
My flabbler is gasted.  What's wrong with "I'm flabbergasted"

I also dislike stabby.

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
Get A Life.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
Oh one more expression to go with "stabby". Saying you dislike something with "the hatred of a thousand suns". That's just over the top. Again it's simpler to just say you don't like something.

But if we just simply said what we feel in plain words, it would be really dry.  Language isn't just for communicating information.  It also has poetic and humorous features.

There is some old joke about that. I don't remember exactly how it goes.

A little girl is eating a piece of cake and exclaims, "I just love cake!" Her governess corrects her, telling her that is the improper use of "just" and we do not love inanimate objects, we like them.
The girl responds, "I like cake."
"...but that sounds as if I'm talking about bread!"

Boom-Ch! I think that is a Reader's Digest oldie, or maybe i read it in a book? I don't remember, but it tickles me.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Phoebe

« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2013, 07:30:50 PM »
"Gotta go. The cat's on fire."

I can't remember if I mentioned this one earlier or not. But I seriously wish this phrase would be eliminated from EHell. It's one I abhor. And I find that I stop reading posts when I come across it. Everything a person says after that gets skipped.

I HATE this one.  Shortly after I first came across it here, there was an incident in my city where a young *adult* and his younger friend actually set a cat on fire.  Both were arrested and charged and if I remember correctly, the poor cat didn't survive.  I linked the story and asked for the phrase to be dropped, but apparently people weren't concerned about it.  Some even commented that this sort of thing doesn't really happen, after all.  ::) >:(

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
"Gotta go. The cat's on fire."

I can't remember if I mentioned this one earlier or not. But I seriously wish this phrase would be eliminated from EHell. It's one I abhor. And I find that I stop reading posts when I come across it. Everything a person says after that gets skipped.

I HATE this one.  Shortly after I first came across it here, there was an incident in my city where a young *adult* and his younger friend actually set a cat on fire.  Both were arrested and charged and if I remember correctly, the poor cat didn't survive.  I linked the story and asked for the phrase to be dropped, but apparently people weren't concerned about it.  Some even commented that this sort of thing doesn't really happen, after all.  ::) >:(

I always associated it with the numerous stories I've heard of cats getting their tails singed while investigating candles - never anything serious, more of a "Well he won't do that again!" kind of thing.  I was under the impression this is fairly common.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
Perhaps we need to come up with an equally catchy, even more silly and absurd feline event to use. Like, "Oh dear, cat got in the mayo again" or "Gotta run - Fluffy's about to burn the hollandaise!" or "Can't talk - cat just cornered a penguin in the basement!"
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

CakeEater

« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
I think it started here when someone made a typo - they meant to suggest, "I have to go, the kitchen's on fire", but wrote kitten instead - somoeone replied, 'The kitten being on fire would really make a good excuse to get off the phone' and off it went.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
How about, "Gotta go, the fish is drowning!"? 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »
Perhaps we need to come up with an equally catchy, even more silly and absurd feline event to use. Like, "Oh dear, cat got in the mayo again" or "Gotta run - Fluffy's about to burn the hollandaise!" or "Can't talk - cat just cornered a penguin in the basement!"

I would be happier if we could come up with something else.  Something like you've mentioned would be fine.  But a cat on fire is not funny and it's not something that I think should be a "trendy saying" here.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »
"Gotta go, spider invasion!"

*I* like spiders, but most people don't...

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »
I like little spiders. If I have one in my home, I leave them alone (except for talking to them and telling them that they're welcome to stay as long as they realize that getting too close to certain kitty mouths might be unwise! :D )

I'm not crazy about big ones.

I like that phrase, though! :)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:35 PM »
I don't like when adults use the terms "yummy" or "nummy".  It seems very babyish to me and there are plenty of words (delectable, for example, or delicious, or tasty, or any number of adjectives) to describe something that's good without sounding like a two-year-old.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »
I don't like when adults use the terms "yummy" or "nummy".  It seems very babyish to me and there are plenty of words (delectable, for example, or delicious, or tasty, or any number of adjectives) to describe something that's good without sounding like a two-year-old.

This.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »
Yummy says things that delicious doesn't... comfort food may not be delicious, but it *is* yummy.  It's not so much a flavor as the state of mind in which it puts you.