Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 45749 times)

m2kbug

Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:09 AM »
Chillaxin'

Has that been brought up yet?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2013, 02:14:24 AM »
Not yet, but I was expecting someone all up in this plizzace to.  (Two-fer!)

CharlieBraun

« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2013, 07:04:46 AM »
"Ain't no thang...."

(insert "nails on a chalkboard" emoticon here!)
"We ate the pies."

Emmy

« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »
Another phrase I loathe is "come to *insert deity* talk". 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #274 on: January 18, 2013, 07:13:16 AM »
"Ain't no thang...."

(insert "nails on a chalkboard" emoticon here!)

I hate that one, too.  :P

tasryn

« Reply #275 on: January 18, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »
To the person who responded to my message by saying that words like "stabby" and "hatred of a thousand suns" add color to our language, my issue with these phrases is things like this that I see on message boards all the time "I can't stand Taylor Swift with the hatred of a thousand suns-she makes me stabby." Isn't that a little over the top? It reminds me of Blache Devereaux on the Golden Girls when she talks about how she feels as fresh as the honeysuckle in the morning when the dew hangs from the blossom and the sun kisses it with its golden glaze. There is adding description and there is going way overboard. Also when a phrase becomes overused it also loses it's meaning.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #276 on: January 18, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »
Adorkable.  Mostly because when someone act that way, it seems so fake.  "Oh, look at me.  Look how cute and goofy I am."

diesel_darlin

« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »
V-card.

Just say virginity. :-\

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »
"My bad" - why, yes, yes it is your bad, now take some responsibility for it and stop acting like that's even a remotely acceptable statement.

"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #279 on: January 18, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
"My bad" - why, yes, yes it is your bad, now take some responsibility for it and stop acting like that's even a remotely acceptable statement.

In my world it is totally acceptable. It is definitely more acceptable than saying, "stop acting like that's even a remotely acceptable statement."
 ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:51:53 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #280 on: January 18, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
Iím not that fond of ďmy badĒ because itís a bit too cutesy, and often is an attempt to make light of a mistake thatís sometimes serious.  Itís like ďooooh, ooops, I guess Iím human.  Sowwy!Ē  I only use the expression rarely and for truly small infractions.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #281 on: January 18, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »
"Gotta go. The cat's on fire."

I can't remember if I mentioned this one earlier or not. But I seriously wish this phrase would be eliminated from EHell. It's one I abhor. And I find that I stop reading posts when I come across it. Everything a person says after that gets skipped.

I HATE this one.  Shortly after I first came across it here, there was an incident in my city where a young *adult* and his younger friend actually set a cat on fire.  Both were arrested and charged and if I remember correctly, the poor cat didn't survive.  I linked the story and asked for the phrase to be dropped, but apparently people weren't concerned about it.  Some even commented that this sort of thing doesn't really happen, after all.  ::) >:(

...and just because you link that phrase to a very specific incident that you saw does not mean you should expect a whole intenet community to drop it just because you (and maybe a handful of other people) don't like it. Eyerolling and accusations of people not being concerned - are you intentionally insinuating that we somehow support violence against animals? - does not make your case.

Everyone is going to use phrases other people don't like. That's life.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

MrTango

« Reply #282 on: January 18, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »
The term "childfree" drives me up the wall.  For me, it conjurs up images of a child being some sort of parasite to be avoided.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #283 on: January 18, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »
Bully bully bully bully bully bully bully bully. Here a bully there a bully, everywhere a bully bully. Say one mean thing, you are a bully. Scowl? Bullying behavior. Don't like a kid? Bully. Donít want to sit with someone? Bully. Every interraction that isn't sunshine, lollipops, and wee little ponies is bullying. Tired of hearing about bullying? Well, that's probably because you are a  bully. Bullying is bad, I get it; but  the Raise the Awareness campaign has gotten crazy.

LOL Ö or maybe I watch way too much kids tv, which hadnít occurred to me until right this minute, but is entirely possible. I take in an awful lot of cartoons.  :P

~Gaslight Anthem

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #284 on: January 18, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
Bully bully bully bully bully bully bully bully. Here a bully there a bully, everywhere a bully bully. Say one mean thing, you are a bully. Scowl? Bullying behavior. Don't like a kid? Bully. Donít want to sit with someone? Bully. Every interraction that isn't sunshine, lollipops, and wee little ponies is bullying. Tired of hearing about bullying? Well, that's probably because you are a  bully. Bullying is bad, I get it; but  the Raise the Awareness campaign has gotten crazy.

LOL Ö or maybe I watch way too much kids tv, which hadnít occurred to me until right this minute, but is entirely possible. I take in an awful lot of cartoons.  :P

Oh, you're right. Write a politely negative review of a book, you're a bully. All the "bullying" is trivializing real actual bullying, which is real and nasty.