Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 55588 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #285 on: January 18, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
"preggo". Is it really that hard to say pregnant?

"preggers" is even worse

You're absolutely right. I forgot about "preggers".

On a tangent, I wish that the spelling "pregnate" would go away.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #286 on: January 18, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »
"Per say." Okay, so my beef is more about the abuse of the English language, but I see it often enough to qualify for this thread.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
Not really a "trendy" expression, but I really really really dislike "bossy."  Ever notice how little boys are never "bossy?"  It's a term reserved for girls who try to take leadership in a situation when someone else doesn't want them to.  I acknowledge that kids don't always act appropriately, and we do need a word to describe what "bossy" means (trying to take charge in an unwanted way), but I hate that it has such sexist connotations.  I try very hard not to use it, and I would get royally peeved if someone used it to apply to Babybartfast when, if she were a boy, her behavior would just be "boys being boys" or "rowdy" or "rambunctious" or "playful" or something else without the negative connotations.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »
"Per say." Okay, so my beef is more about the abuse of the English language, but I see it often enough to qualify for this thread.
I see your "per say" and raise you a "walla!"

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
"My bad" - why, yes, yes it is your bad, now take some responsibility for it and stop acting like that's even a remotely acceptable statement.

"My bad" is at least owning up to what you did.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #290 on: January 18, 2013, 04:11:14 PM »
The term "childfree" drives me up the wall.  For me, it conjurs up images of a child being some sort of parasite to be avoided.

Which remind me "fur babies." Always makes me conjure up an image that send a chill up my spine.

snowflake

« Reply #291 on: January 18, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »
Not really a "trendy" expression, but I really really really dislike "bossy."  Ever notice how little boys are never "bossy?"  It's a term reserved for girls who try to take leadership in a situation when someone else doesn't want them to.  I acknowledge that kids don't always act appropriately, and we do need a word to describe what "bossy" means (trying to take charge in an unwanted way), but I hate that it has such sexist connotations.  I try very hard not to use it, and I would get royally peeved if someone used it to apply to Babybartfast when, if she were a boy, her behavior would just be "boys being boys" or "rowdy" or "rambunctious" or "playful" or something else without the negative connotations.

I see your point.  But I call my kid bossy because he really is.  I have to constantly remind him that he isn't in charge of all the kids at his daycare. ("I TOLD you to play with blocks now!") I normally just try and remind him that other kids get to choose their own play.

My big sister will call herself "take charge."  Whenever I got a new stuffed animal, she would name it because she said I didn't think of good enough names.  I still refer to it as bossy.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »

It's "per se" and while I know people sometimes use it to mean "as such", I've never thought of it as trendy.  Per se is actually a Latin phrase which is often used as a legal term.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »

It's "per se" and while I know people sometimes use it to mean "as such", I've never thought of it as trendy.  Per se is actually a Latin phrase which is often used as a legal term.

I'm pretty sure Jaxsue meant that she's tired of seeing "per say" instead of "per se".

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »

I'm pretty sure Jaxsue meant that she's tired of seeing "per say" instead of "per se".

Oh.  Perhaps I misunderstood.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »
The term "childfree" drives me up the wall.  For me, it conjurs up images of a child being some sort of parasite to be avoided.

Which remind me "fur babies." Always makes me conjure up an image that send a chill up my spine.

Why fur babies?  (I'm curious).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »

What do you mean why?  Why I dislike it?

magicdomino

« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »

I suspect Rose Red gets an image of a baby werewolf (fangs, red eyes, thick coat of fur), or maybe a fake human baby made out of fur.  I have to admit that I find the phrase a little twee myself.  "Earthly Avatars of Bast" is a little long to say, though, and doesn't work for dogs.    ;)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #298 on: January 18, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »

Yes, and why it brings up a bad mental image.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #299 on: January 18, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »

Yes, and why it brings up a bad mental image.

magicdomino got it correct.  Brings up an image of a baby growing animal fur.  I guess you can call it a mental phobia  :-\.  Maybe it's because I read Roald Dahl's short story Royal Jelly too young  ::).