Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 49463 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #300 on: January 18, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »
Everyone is going to use phrases other people don't like. That's life.

But, Hobish, that's what this thread is about - listing things we're tired of hearing.  This one is no different than the others that people are mentioning on the other 20 pages of the thread.  I guess I'm confused as to why you've picked out this one to say the above about when the whole thread is full of the same thing (help me understand if I'm missing something).

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #301 on: January 18, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »

But, Hobish, that's what this thread is about - listing things we're tired of hearing.  This one is no different than the others that people are mentioning on the other 20 pages of the thread.  I guess I'm confused as to why you've picked out this one to say the above about when the whole thread is full of the same thing (help me understand if I'm missing something).

Because you expressed yours not as a peeve but as something you'd like to see as a concrete rule for the forum.

CakeEater

« Reply #302 on: January 18, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »

I can't speak for Hobish, but I thought the idea that we come up with a new phrase and use it instead  was too much. The thread is about things we're tired of hearing, sure, but for no other phrase did anyone suggest that they would tell others not to use it and give them an alternate.

Trendy expressions are trendy because many people like them. We don't get to make up a phrase and tell people that this is the trendy phrase that we're all going to use now.

SpikeMichigan

« Reply #303 on: January 18, 2013, 06:06:37 PM »

I'm with those who hate YOLO with a fiery passion. I think that's universal though, I've rarely heard it used seriously, generally its used in a mocking or sarcastic way.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #304 on: January 18, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
We don't get to make up a phrase and tell people that this is the trendy phrase that we're all going to use now.

Since no one said "this is the trendy phrase we're all going to use now", I'm not sure where you're going with that.

Several people suggested some alternatives (several tongue-in-cheek ones) and I said, "I would be happier if we could come up with something else.  Something like you've mentioned would be fine.  But a cat on fire is not funny and it's not something that I think should be a "trendy saying" here."

I stand by that statement!  I would be happier if there were another phrase used.  I like the ones suggested.  And I don't like that it's a "trendy saying" here.

But I can promise I won't be holding a gun to your head to keep you from saying whatever you'd like. ;)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #305 on: January 19, 2013, 12:17:21 AM »
"Per say." Okay, so my beef is more about the abuse of the English language, but I see it often enough to qualify for this thread.
I see your "per say" and raise you a "walla!"

Ooh, that is a bad one!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #306 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:12 AM »
"Per say." Okay, so my beef is more about the abuse of the English language, but I see it often enough to qualify for this thread.

It's "per se" and while I know people sometimes use it to mean "as such", I've never thought of it as trendy.  Per se is actually a Latin phrase which is often used as a legal term.

I'm pretty sure Jaxsue meant that she's tired of seeing "per say" instead of "per se".

This. I used to be an editor (before the industry died).

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #307 on: January 19, 2013, 12:23:02 AM »
before the industry died).

Potential stupid question , but why? What happened to editing?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #308 on: January 19, 2013, 01:26:05 AM »
I had my hand slapped for replying to several on-line complements with "Aw, gee "blush-blush" so I guess I am nominating that phrase.  (Although my response to the snarky comment that I was being juvenile and silly was something on the order of "I spend my whole work day working with people who are silly and juvenile...maybe it just wears off on ya after a while.")

Would also like to give support to banishing the use of "amazing" "awesome" and "incredible" for all occasions that are not amazing, awesome or incredible.  (And to the young friend who said "Miss Lily, you look incredible", Sweetie, that suggests I lack credibility, not that I am looking good.

My number one pet peeve, however, is best summed up by a T-Shirt slogan on Snorgtees :  "Your incorrect use of the word literally is making me figuratively insane."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #309 on: January 19, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »
I had my hand slapped for replying to several on-line complements with "Aw, gee "blush-blush" so I guess I am nominating that phrase.  (Although my response to the snarky comment that I was being juvenile and silly was something on the order of "I spend my whole work day working with people who are silly and juvenile...maybe it just wears off on ya after a while.")

Would also like to give support to banishing the use of "amazing" "awesome" and "incredible" for all occasions that are not amazing, awesome or incredible.  (And to the young friend who said "Miss Lily, you look incredible", Sweetie, that suggests I lack credibility, not that I am looking good.

My number one pet peeve, however, is best summed up by a T-Shirt slogan on Snorgtees :  "Your incorrect use of the word literally is making me figuratively insane."

In the case of "you look incredible", I've always taken that to mean you look so good that if someone told me how good you looked, I'd have a hard time believing anyone could look that good, so it would strain credibility.  Same with amazing... I'm amazed someone can look that good.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #310 on: January 19, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
before the industry died).

Potential stupid question , but why? What happened to editing?

It's really more "what happened to publishing?"

Newspapers are operating with bare-bones staff, traditional book publishing is just as bad. E-books are often not edited at all; download a free one and you will see some lovely examples.

They used to have lots of editors. Now they are making do with very few or outsourcing the jobs.

scotcat60

« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »
Well known people , celebrities, referring to others as "Civilians". A British actress used this term, and had me wondering what rank she held in Her Majestie's Armed Forces.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »
Well known people , celebrities, referring to others as "Civilians". A British actress used this term, and had me wondering what rank she held in Her Majestie's Armed Forces.

I always thought "civilian" was the proper term for anyone not in the military, whether the speaker was in the military or not.  :-\

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
Da Bomb, or Phat

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »

I always thought "civilian" was the proper term for anyone not in the military, whether the speaker was in the military or not.  :-\

I think scotcat60 means that celebrities are adopting the use of "civilians" for anyone not a celebrity, not the military sense of the word.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."