Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 54811 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
I think LOLspeak is cute in moderation. I do admit that it starts to bother me when I have to have a decoder ring from a cereal box just to read some of the photo captions.

y u no liek kitteh capshuns, r u speshul snoflaek?

(brb, broke brain...)

LOL! Just L-O-L!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ermahgerd

Thanks, Dottie! I was going to come back and post that. Great minds and all that :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Fleur

« Reply #422 on: February 01, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »

'All the'. As in a lot of. 'This Christmas I'm not going to stick to my diet, I'll be eating ALL THE FOODS'. Aarghh, why not just say 'a lot of food'. It sounds so childish! There is one website which is awful for it. It is mostly run by twenty and thirty something women, and they all sound so immature! As if they are trying to be highschoolers, it actually makes me embarrased for them.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #423 on: February 01, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »

'All the'. As in a lot of. 'This Christmas I'm not going to stick to my diet, I'll be eating ALL THE FOODS'. Aarghh, why not just say 'a lot of food'. It sounds so childish! There is one website which is awful for it. It is mostly run by twenty and thirty something women, and they all sound so immature! As if they are trying to be highschoolers, it actually makes me embarrased for them.

Now that one i think i can identify. I am pretty sure it comes from Hyperbole and a Half, and her post with "Clean all the things!" It's really funny, the post and the blog in general. I don't know if that makes it a little less annoying to you.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Fleur

« Reply #424 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

Now that one i think i can identify. I am pretty sure it comes from Hyperbole and a Half, and her post with "Clean all the things!" It's really funny, the post and the blog in general. I don't know if that makes it a little less annoying to you.

Ah, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that blog. I think that the reason I find it annoying is they use this phrase all the time-if it was just once or twice I wouldn't even have noticed.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
Has anyone else's workplace been suddenly overrun by people signing off e-mails with the phrase "Warm regards" instead of, say, "Sincerely" or "Thanks"? Everybody and his uncle does it where I work and I find it insincere and smarmy.

Also spreading like wildfire here is the tendency to replace "about" with "around." Examples include:
- We have some concerns around the budget for next quarter.
- In a few minutes, I'll talk around the first three points on this slide.

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

magicdomino

« Reply #426 on: February 01, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »

Ah, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that blog. I think that the reason I find it annoying is they use this phrase all the time-if it was just once or twice I wouldn't even have noticed.

That's true of a lot of trendy expressions.  The are cute or clever the first time, especially if you get the reference.  The might even be cute the next few times.  When you hear them all of the time, under circumstances that have little to do with the original phrase, the expressions just sound irritating.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
Has anyone else's workplace been suddenly overrun by people signing off e-mails with the phrase "Warm regards" instead of, say, "Sincerely" or "Thanks"? Everybody and his uncle does it where I work and I find it insincere and smarmy.

The one that always cracks me up is a spiritual sign-off when the rest of the message is a nastygram.

"You stink and your mother dresses you funny!
Namaste,
Me"

"Go to the hot place with pitchforks!
Blessings,
Me"

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:25 PM »
Along the lines of 'Imma', there's something I've noticed lately, mostly from late teenage women. 'Can I' becomes 'C'I', so it sounds like 'Ky have the remote...' For some reason this makes my teeth itch every time!

Huh. I think I've always said this. At least, when talking at normal conversation speed. It's a natural contraction of the two words.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html

Yeah, it's a quote/meme that works sometimes.

Iris

« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html

Yeah, it's a quote/meme that works sometimes.

I'm a fan of this meme myself, but I can see how hearing it all the darn time could get old.

OT, but I've stopped directing people to hyperbole and a half because I don't want them to share the constant heartbreak of waiting for an update  :'(
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #431 on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
"Girlish Figure" I know it's not a really new term so not trendy but oh I hate it.  I don't actually hear it that more and I think it's partly because I moved to an area where people aren't nearly as image conscious as they were where I used to live.   I used to work in a body image obsessed office and between them and my parents I heard the "You need to keep your girlish figure!" well into my 20's.  A 5lb gain got comments of "Why are you gaining weight?" or "Do you really need to eat that? Watch that girlish figure!"  ::)  My mother once insinuated that keeping a girlish figure is how you keep a man interested/happy.  :P

I'm 5'2", not very curvy but I do have some where a woman is supposed to have 'em. I'm in a size 10 and I'm cool with that, as I look healthy and feel good about myself.  So if I did hear anyone comment about me keeping my girlish figure, well I'm still working on a polite response to that but as I said, I don't hear it as much so don't really need to.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #432 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
I am quite tired of the phrase "swag" because I do seem to encounter it frequently.  I swear I'll hear it in ads for a dentist's office. Visit Dr. Dentifrice and leave with a personal swag bag of floss and a toothbrush  Bleah!  It's embarrassing when you're trying to be cool by using a catch phrase past it's expiration date.  And I say this as someone who excels in not being cool. 

I also hate "keeping it real" because that's simply a euphemism for "I'm about to be horribly rude, but please note I can dish it out but not take it".

Otherwise, a lot of these phrases don't bother me because I don't encounter them that frequently. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #433 on: February 03, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:07 PM »
"Girlish Figure" I know it's not a really new term so not trendy but oh I hate it.  I don't actually hear it that more and I think it's partly because I moved to an area where people aren't nearly as image conscious as they were where I used to live.   I used to work in a body image obsessed office and between them and my parents I heard the "You need to keep your girlish figure!" well into my 20's.  A 5lb gain got comments of "Why are you gaining weight?" or "Do you really need to eat that? Watch that girlish figure!"  ::)  My mother once insinuated that keeping a girlish figure is how you keep a man interested/happy.  :P

I've noticed an uptick in using "girlish figure" ironically--for example, I know some guys who use it when trying to talk themselves out of junk food.  ;D