Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 52444 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #435 on: February 03, 2013, 10:57:56 PM »
Now that would make me giggle, from a guy referring to himself.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #436 on: February 03, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
I am quite tired of the phrase "swag" because I do seem to encounter it frequently.  I swear I'll hear it in ads for a dentist's office. Visit Dr. Dentifrice and leave with a personal swag bag of floss and a toothbrush  Bleah!  It's embarrassing when you're trying to be cool by using a catch phrase past it's expiration date.  And I say this as someone who excels in not being cool. 

I also hate "keeping it real" because that's simply a euphemism for "I'm about to be horribly rude, but please note I can dish it out but not take it".

Otherwise, a lot of these phrases don't bother me because I don't encounter them that frequently.

See that wouldn't bother me, because it is using swag in the way I've always heard it used. Race swag, event swag, stuff you get for attending something. I just don't understand modern swag and how it relates to neon colors and flat brimmed hats.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #437 on: February 04, 2013, 12:17:03 AM »
"Girlish Figure" I know it's not a really new term so not trendy but oh I hate it.  I don't actually hear it that more and I think it's partly because I moved to an area where people aren't nearly as image conscious as they were where I used to live.   I used to work in a body image obsessed office and between them and my parents I heard the "You need to keep your girlish figure!" well into my 20's.  A 5lb gain got comments of "Why are you gaining weight?" or "Do you really need to eat that? Watch that girlish figure!"  ::)  My mother once insinuated that keeping a girlish figure is how you keep a man interested/happy.  :P

I've noticed an uptick in using "girlish figure" ironically--for example, I know some guys who use it when trying to talk themselves out of junk food.  ;D

One of my guy friends did use that excuse. However, he's a big joker, so it makes sense. He'll be in a show where he's going to be flying around the stage, so he's trying to make it easier on the crew pulling him around.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

m2kbug

« Reply #438 on: February 05, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
What I've been seeing a lot lately.

Den = then
Stahp = stop

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #439 on: February 05, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
I've seen "dafuq?", which is obviously for "what the f...?" It gets annoying after a while.

I also dislike "Ain't nobody got time for that."  Not because of the botched English, which has its place sometimes, because people post that as a comment on craft/DYI pages.  So you don't want to make things yourself? Fine, then, don't.  Some people, however, like to take the time to do it.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #440 on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
I've seen "dafuq?", which is obviously for "what the f...?" It gets annoying after a while.

I also dislike "Ain't nobody got time for that."  Not because of the botched English, which has its place sometimes, because people post that as a comment on craft/DYI pages.  So you don't want to make things yourself? Fine, then, don't.  Some people, however, like to take the time to do it.

There was a video of a lady being interviewed on the news after a fire in her apartment building.  The animated way in which she said, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" is the fodder for a lot of memes.  I wonder if that is why you've seen an influx of this, perhaps?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #441 on: February 05, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #442 on: February 05, 2013, 01:13:13 PM »
I like Sweet Brown!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43PkC2_Bwtw

I admit she cracks up me!  "Oh lord Jesus there's a fahr!"  We quote her constantly in my house.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #443 on: February 05, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
:D  There are some funny Automixes of it as well!  She cracks me up, too.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #444 on: February 05, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
I wondered about that myself and then googled it and cracked up when I saw the video.   It tickles me when I see some really fancy nail art that is very nice and the pinner has apparently done it rather than getting it done somewhere.

I respect the time and talent it takes to do something that intricate but it would take me probably about half a day to get that done and I do not have steady hands so it would be a day of painting the nail, wiping it off when it smudged or the line shook or what have you.  I ain't got time for that! LOL!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

m2kbug

« Reply #445 on: February 05, 2013, 02:09:14 PM »

I agree.  I don't mind the meme, but it's pointless to post something like that, at least on pages around DIY or crafts.  Personal blog, fine.  :)

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #446 on: February 05, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
I also dislike baby-like words, such as "nom" or "yummers."

I also dislike "hating on."

I feel a twing of discomfort when I hear "on the same page" because it implies some are not paying attention. Now, what are doing if not communicating? Oh, we are "not on the same page." Most people whom I have found using the phrase are the ones aren't "on the same page." They remind me of the instance of two small children fighting "you are!" and the other retorting "no YOU are!"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #447 on: February 05, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »
I also hate cougar.  Frankly, I don't care who other people are dating unless it is my DS.  One of the local saying that I detest is "hayna".  It is used mostly like this:

We're going to the store, hayna or no?  Supposedly, it is a mangling of the words "ain't it".  Which would bother me almost as much.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #448 on: February 05, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
I feel a twing of discomfort when I hear "on the same page" because it implies some are not paying attention.

I use that.  But it's to make sure I'M on the same page as someone - not that they're wrong.  Like at work, I'll contact them to make sure that I'm on the same page with what I'm to be doing or something like that.

Hillia

« Reply #449 on: February 05, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
Someone going 'mama bear' or 'mama grizzly' in response to an attack, perceived or real, on their kids.  Anything from refusing the child a second ice cream to full abduction gets this response.  Can we all just agree that yes, most parents do love their kids and would do anything possible to protect them?

Running a close second are people who, when refused some child-related accommodation, respond with, 'But you don't understaaaaaand!  I looooooove my kids!'  The one that almost drove me around the bend was the woman who shared a workspace with me at a part time job - she used the space during the day and I used it at night.  She covered the workstation with photos of her daughter, to the point where I couldn't use the keyboard or see half of the screen (this also tells you a lot about her work habits).  So I would carefully remove the pictures and place them neatly in a safe spot on the desk, and every day she would wait for me at shift change to scream about how I must hate my son because I didn't cover my workspace with his picture, and it wasn't her fault if I was a terrible, unfeeling mother and I just didn't understaaaaaand...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools