Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 52678 times)

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #480 on: February 14, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
Hubby-kins or Wifey-kins.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #481 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
Unique is a binary state, it either is or is not.

Maybe yes, maybe no. In an Aristotolean space, where the law of the excluded middle applies, you would be right. But if you apply fuzzy logic, it isn't a binary proposition. Many things that appear binary aren't really. Take "warm." It's either warm or it isn't, right?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #482 on: February 14, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »

Maybe yes, maybe no. In an Aristotolean space, where the law of the excluded middle applies, you would be right. But if you apply fuzzy logic, it isn't a binary proposition. Many things that appear binary aren't really. Take "warm." It's either warm or it isn't, right?

Warm as in 70 degrees, or as in 80 degrees?  But something can't be "slightly unique".  Unique means there's only one of it.  How can something be slightly one of a kind?

snowdragon

« Reply #483 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:32 PM »
"He's just a kid" - so he can do/say/be whereever and whatever he wants

"It's the kid's world"

"You're too old for that"

"Fluffy" - meaning fat

"YOLO" - usually in defense of some horribly rude behavior

Allyson

« Reply #484 on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:45 AM »
This one is a term that is really useful to describe a specific behaviour, but is starting to become overused on certain blogs and forums I read..'Gaslighting'. It is supposed to mean a sort of psychological abuse or torment where one convinces the victim to doubt their perceptions and sanity. It's been discussed a lot more recently on some of the social justice and feminist sites I read.

But, rather like hobish's bullying example above (which I also really agree with) it's starting to be used in situations where it's not really accurate. I've seen it applied to situations where it really just seems that both people disagree and are perhaps having a heated argument. I've also seen it applied anytime someone calls someone else 'too sensitive'. They might be *wrong*, they might even be a jerk, but I think jumping to the conclusion that it's intentionally trying to wear down someone's defenses is not always warranted.

I think this sort of thing probably happens anytime a social issue starts getting recognized more--some people will begin applying it to all situations that could possibly be that thing.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #485 on: February 15, 2013, 03:53:35 AM »
Gaslighting refers to a movie.

Betelnut

« Reply #486 on: February 15, 2013, 03:55:16 AM »

Warm as in 70 degrees, or as in 80 degrees?  But something can't be "slightly unique".  Unique means there's only one of it.  How can something be slightly one of a kind?

Twins?  They aren't unique (there are two of them) but they ARE unique...?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #487 on: February 15, 2013, 06:41:44 AM »

I caught that movie on tv once but couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing, it was just too disturbing.  And well, I think it kind of depends. If it's just one instance with that one person saying "You're too sensitive!" then I wouldn't call it gaslighting, but if it's sort of an ongoing thing it would be a red flag in addition to other signs of emotional abuse.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MrTango

« Reply #488 on: February 15, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »

I can take a random assortment of pixels on my computer screen and it would most definitely be unique.  I can then take the same assortment of pixels on an identical screen but change one pixel.  The image on the second screen would also be unique, but barely. 

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #489 on: February 15, 2013, 08:17:40 AM »

Twins?  They aren't unique (there are two of them) but they ARE unique...?

Every person who's had different experiences than another and processed them internally will be unique.  :)

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #490 on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:51 AM »

I can take a random assortment of pixels on my computer screen and it would most definitely be unique.  I can then take the same assortment of pixels on an identical screen but change one pixel.  The image on the second screen would also be unique, but barely.

It would be different, but barely.  Unique does not merely mean different, it means there is literally nothing else exactly like it.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #491 on: February 15, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »

Actually, it stems from a play, which was later made into a movie. Allyson's complaint stands, regardless.
Utah

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #492 on: February 15, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
Actually, it stems from a play, which was later made into a movie. Allyson's complaint stands, regardless.

There are several versions of the movie out there.  I got one from Netflix a year or so ago to watch.  I must have gotten the wrong one, because I was bored and I couldn't understand what they were saying.  Is there a particular version of it that y'all would recommend?  I do want to see it - but not the one I saw.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #493 on: February 15, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »

There are several versions of the movie out there.  I got one from Netflix a year or so ago to watch.  I must have gotten the wrong one, because I was bored and I couldn't understand what they were saying.  Is there a particular version of it that y'all would recommend?  I do want to see it - but not the one I saw.

The one with Ingrid Bergman is always good.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Allyson

« Reply #494 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
Yep, good movie, too! I do think that it's a really useful term. I just think that, as often happens when something like this gains steam, it can be too broadly applied and as such lose impact.