Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 50254 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #585 on: June 07, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »
I'll see you a walla and raise you one.
Wah-lah.

I hate hate HATE lol added to the end of every sentence. I have a friend who will complain about how terrible her life is and every sentence ends with lol.

"Do you want to....?"
No. I don't. And I usually answer in such a manner.

Also, I can't stand it when bosses/managers/higher-ups start with saying "We need to..." Okay, maybe I'm just being difficult here, but if you say WE, then you need to take some ownership of whatever it is you're telling everyone else to do. If "we" need to get all these bins filled with product, don't then stand by and watch as everyone else fills bins with product and you don't.

Then again, most of these I use with my friends/family, but it's all a matter of audience. I don't use a lot of these here, and if I know that someone is exceptionally bothered by something, I try to remember not to say it around them.

Amen to this whole post.

Sebastienne

« Reply #586 on: June 07, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »

Also add me to the group that can't stand "hating on," "loving on," and - ugh - "crushing on."

"Crushing on" at least has a relation to grammar, since one has a crush on someone else. For that reason, "brag on" really bothers me. As in, "I'm going to brag on my kids right now." No, you're going to brag about your kids. The brag is not getting on them at all.

veronaz

« Reply #587 on: June 07, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »
I hate hate HATE lol added to the end of every sentence. I have a friend who will complain about how terrible her life is and every sentence ends with lol.

I'll second that.
I HATE it when people type "lol".
It's LAME.  ::)
Ugh.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:17:47 PM by veronaz »

Catananche

« Reply #588 on: June 08, 2013, 07:58:26 AM »
I'll see you a walla and raise you one.
Wah-lah.

What does Wah-lah/walla mean? How would it be used in a sentence?

crella

« Reply #589 on: June 08, 2013, 08:39:41 AM »
Catanache, it's 'voila'.

Catananche

« Reply #590 on: June 08, 2013, 09:00:15 AM »
Ooooh  :) That would drive me nuts as well.

My own annoyance: my kids using text speak in normal conversation.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #591 on: June 08, 2013, 12:36:57 PM »
I don't know if anyone else would consider this one trendy, but I have noticed more and more people around me using it lately: "needs <past tense verb>".  E.g. "The sink needs fixed" or "The dog needs fed."  No.  "The sink needs to be fixed" or perhaps "The sink needs fixing."

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #592 on: June 08, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »
Mine is "Talk to the Hand" often while snapping ones neck.  :o  To me it shows a total lack of respect to the other person.  I used to see that all the time with one of my students this year (a 2nd grader!?) who despite discussions with her parents and her grand mom would persist with this behavior.  I feel sorry for her, as she will be going to another school next year and I don't think that will be tolerated there (big cultural change!)
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

crella

« Reply #593 on: June 09, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
With or without 'talk to the hand' I call that the 'turkey neck'  :P  Both my sister and niece do it and it's very unattractive.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #594 on: June 09, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
Anything Kelly Rowland said on UK X Factor a few years ago.

"You put it down,  girl!"
"You shut the building down!"
"There is an abundance tonight of folk putting!! It!! Down!!"
"You nailed it!"

Simon Cowell:
"I didn't like it. I loved it." (Grrrrrrr)
"I'm not meaning to be rude but... (insert rude comment here)"
"You have 4,533 yesses"
"A million percent yes"

The last one just about sends my brain into orbit.

Louis Walsh "You could be the new Westlife/Shane Ward/Justin Beiber"

Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #595 on: June 09, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »
"Eds & Meds" as shorthand for an economic subsector of education and medical.  It's lazy, it's unprofessional, and if you can't discern the specifics of each source (Eds = what, undergrad? grad? trade schools?  K-12? Meds = medical technology? cosmetic surgery? actual doctors? hospitals? nursing homes?) then stop lumping them in, stop being all trendy and attempting to impress, and stop being frankly stupidly jingo-istic.

At a conference last week, I confronted yet another speaker during Q&A about exactly the components of "Eds & Meds."  I had a lot of people come up after and thank me.
"We ate the pies."

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #596 on: June 09, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »
"I didn't like it. I loved it."

I don't get the problem with this one.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #597 on: June 09, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
These are most likely repeats, but they drive me mad.

YOLO (I see it on clothing nearly every day, how original! >:()

Any statement about giving/having/improving more than 100%! It isn't possible!

Iris

« Reply #598 on: June 09, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
These are most likely repeats, but they drive me mad.

YOLO (I see it on clothing nearly every day, how original! >:()

Any statement about giving/having/improving more than 100%! It isn't possible!

*Putting on maths teacher hat * Although you can't give more than 100% of a finite quantity, you can certainly improve more than 100%. So for example asking someone to give 110% effort is nonsensical, but if I sell $20 worth of widgets one day and $60 worth of widgets the next I can correctly say that the second day's sales are 300% of the first day's, our an improvement of 200%.

Also I'm with Dotty on "I didn't like it, I loved it". I don't really see the problem.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

AnnaJ

« Reply #599 on: June 09, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
The term "childfree" drives me up the wall.  For me, it conjurs up images of a child being some sort of parasite to be avoided.

So what to you would be an acceptable term to describe someone who doesn't want children?

I fought with doctors from ages 16 to 31 to get sterilized because I never wanted
kids.  Childless to me means I don't have something I wanted.  Childfree means
I don't have something I never wanted.  From reading childfree blogs & forums it seems most childfree people feel that way.

So yes, for me & I'm sure many other childfree people birthing children is something to be avoided.

This! For me, children were definitely something to be avoided at all costs and thus I am childfree, not childless.

Unrelated:
Add me to the group that dislikes "Umm..." at the beginnings of sentences. I rarely hear it used with other than snotty intentions.

Also add me to the group that can't stand "hating on," "loving on," and - ugh - "crushing on."

Thanks for the 'childfree' thumbs up - I was reading this thread and kicked myself for not marking the post so that I could quote it. 

There is no other shortened phrase for "no, I don't have children" that doesn't sound condescending to me...childless?  No, I am not 'less' because I don't have children.  I spent many years using birth control to make sure I didn't have children - I don't think of them as parasites, but to be avoided (in the sense of me having one)...yes.