Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 58117 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #615 on: June 11, 2013, 01:49:07 PM »
Oh dear.  You mean "psych".

As in, you 'psyched' the person out with a mind trick.  I wonder how many other people didn't actually get the phrase?

Thank you!  It is "psych!", and that is one of my pet peeves.  Yes, people do misspell it as "sike!", but that's not correct.  And, yes, I am in the generation that used it, so it's not like I'm speaking from an ouside perspective.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:51:07 PM by DottyG »

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #616 on: June 11, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »

As in, you 'psyched' the person out with a mind trick.  I wonder how many other people didn't actually get the phrase?

Thank you!  It is "psych!", and that is one of my pet peeves.  Yes, people do misspell it as "sike!", but that's not correct.  And, yes, I am in the generation that used it, so it's not like I'm speaking from an ouside perspective.

Ö but itís not. If Iím posturing by nailing a string of three-pointers from the one spot that I can shoot them from (which I never end up doing in a game), that is psyching out the other team.

If Iím all like "here, have this totally delicious cookie! Sike!" Iím not psyching that person out, Iím just being a jerk.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #617 on: June 11, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »

Ö but itís not. If Iím posturing by nailing a string of three-pointers from the one spot that I can shoot them from (which I never end up doing in a game), that is psyching out the other team.

If Iím all like "here, have this totally delicious cookie! Sike!" Iím not psyching that person out, Iím just being a jerk.

Exactly.  As a teen who was around for that, I have never heard any connection to psyching someone out, anymore than a "psych-clops" makes people think it only has one eye,

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #618 on: June 11, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
anymore than a "psych-clops" makes people think it only has one eye,

Not a valid example.  Not only because your version changes the pronunciation of the word itself but, more importantly, because it disregards the fact that the word you're talking about comes from from the Greek cyclos, meaning wheel or circle (hence, his one eye).

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #619 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »
anymore than a "psych-clops" makes people think it only has one eye,

Not a valid example.  Not only because your version changes the pronunciation of the word itself but, more importantly, because it disregards the fact that the word you're talking about comes from from the Greek cyclos, meaning wheel or circle (hence, his one eye).

And "sike" is a completely made up word.  It doesn't have any connection to psychology.  There is no psychology involved in pre-internet trolling.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #620 on: June 11, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
There is no psychology involved in pre-internet trolling.

You completely lost me there.

But we've veered into a tangent of the thread.

katycoo

« Reply #621 on: June 11, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »

'Psyching someone out' doesn't have to be intimidating.  In both cases you are leading the other person to believe you are going to do something which you then don't. 

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #622 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:21 PM »

I mean psych come from psychology, and there's none of that in using "sike", which I consider to be trolling before we knew what trolling was.  :)

gollymolly2

« Reply #623 on: June 11, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »

I mean psych come from psychology, and there's none of that in using "sike", which I consider to be trolling before we knew what trolling was.  :)

I very much enjoyed "pre-Internet trolling" :)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #624 on: June 11, 2013, 07:43:45 PM »

'Psyching someone out' doesn't have to be intimidating.  In both cases you are leading the other person to believe you are going to do something which you then don't.

Exactly. I've seen it spelled "sike" but always thought people just didn't know how to spell. Not trying to be snarky, i promise; that's what i thought...of course since it is 2013 it is probably the most i have seen or heard the word in any spelling in...what? 20 years or more?
Please, oh please, don't let that become a trend again.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #625 on: June 11, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
Today I saw "touchbase" as a noun, meaning a meeting.   ::)

Sebastienne

« Reply #626 on: June 11, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »
Today I saw "touchbase" as a noun, meaning a meeting.   ::)

Oh, that's just painful.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #627 on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:44 PM »
I don't know if anyone else would consider this one trendy, but I have noticed more and more people around me using it lately: "needs <past tense verb>".  E.g. "The sink needs fixed" or "The dog needs fed."  No.  "The sink needs to be fixed" or perhaps "The sink needs fixing."

I don't think this is trendy so much as a regional grammatical quirk.  My dh and his family are from rural New Mexico, and they all say it.  I think I've seen some ehellions use it also.

It's spreading beyond it's region of origin then.  All the people I've heard use it live in Wisconsin or Illinois.

It's like saying 'i'm going to the store,do you want to go with?',which is often used by people who come from a German-speaking background, even if they themselves never spoke German.

*waves hand*  That's me!  Including the not-speaking-German-myself part.  It's not that unusual around here even from people who (as far as I know) don't have the German-speaking background.

snowdragon

« Reply #628 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »
I don't know if anyone else would consider this one trendy, but I have noticed more and more people around me using it lately: "needs <past tense verb>".  E.g. "The sink needs fixed" or "The dog needs fed."  No.  "The sink needs to be fixed" or perhaps "The sink needs fixing."

I don't think this is trendy so much as a regional grammatical quirk.  My dh and his family are from rural New Mexico, and they all say it.  I think I've seen some ehellions use it also.

It's spreading beyond it's region of origin then.  All the people I've heard use it live in Wisconsin or Illinois.

It's like saying 'i'm going to the store,do you want to go with?',which is often used by people who come from a German-speaking background, even if they themselves never spoke German.

*waves hand*  That's me!  Including the not-speaking-German-myself part.  It's not that unusual around here even from people who (as far as I know) don't have the German-speaking background.[/b]

per the bolded... my Polish family and I say this too.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #629 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »
"Well, X has issues" to explain truly obnoxious behavior on the part of someone, usually a patron, in their late teens or full adulthood.

I also have issues.  Somehow, my issues don't cause me to go into a place, make loud and revolting noises, claim total innocence when called on the behavior (even though I am the only one in the room) and then accuse the person who asks me to be quiet of being racist.

That's one example.  That phrase used to be handy for explaining some simple meltdowns....but these days it is applied to everything that our teen patrons (in particular) do.