Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 49649 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #645 on: June 19, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »
Now that I've finally understood "Oh, snap!" (I didn't know it, either.) Could someone explain to me what on earth "That's what she said" is supposed to mean?

Dr. F., the hopelessly un-trendy

Used to add sexual innuendo to a conversation.

See: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=that's%20what%20she%20said for examples (to avoid having them here - they can be crude).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:15:01 PM by DottyG »

katycoo

« Reply #646 on: June 19, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »
Now that I've finally understood "Oh, snap!" (I didn't know it, either.) Could someone explain to me what on earth "That's what she said" is supposed to mean?

Used to add sexual innuendo to a conversation.

See: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=that's%20what%20she%20said for examples.

This.  When used properly, it turn the previous statement (the one which you said "That's what she said" in response to) into a double-entendre.
Usually the conversation is completely innocuous.  Imagine a conversation about gardening and person one telling person to about a tomato they had grown.

Eg.  Person one "And I couldn't believe how huge it was!"

Person two "That's what she said".

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #647 on: June 19, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »
I had never actually heard "YOLO" used until today.
It took precisely once for me to get tired of it.  :P

Today, a prominient politician in my country suddenly announced he was leaving office and returning to private life.
This was a big news item.

I was watching the news segment and mentioned to my coworker that I had once seen a very unusual bit of film about this person.
He and a well-known comedian were kidding around and agreed to jump off the dock into the lake - without clothes. (Secluded, fly-in access cabin - not a public venue!)
  :o
The relevant areas were blurred out, but they were definitely "unclad".

For some reason, seeing the clips of this person at work, in his office etc were so at odds with the bit of frivolity that I mentioned it.

My coworker shrugged and said "YOLO?"

Ummm. Not sure that jumping into a lake - unclothed - with a public figure - and having it filmed for national viewing - is something on my "YOLO" list....

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #648 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »

"That's what she said" is just a juvenile way to re-frame whatever someone else just said in a sexual way.  It's the ". . . in bed!" of conversational interjections.

"So I swear, it took me all night and I still didn't finish!"
"That's what she said!"

(Implication being ha ha, you could totally interpret "all night" and "not finishing" as sexual, see?  You said something about sex!  Let's all laugh at you now because we're twelve years old and uncomfortable with boy/girl feelings!)

katycoo

« Reply #649 on: June 19, 2013, 09:05:52 PM »

"That's what she said" is just a juvenile way to re-frame whatever someone else just said in a sexual way.  It's the ". . . in bed!" of conversational interjections.

"That's what she said!"

(Implication being ha ha, you could totally interpret "all night" and "not finishing" as sexual, see?  You said something about sex!  Let's all laugh at you now because we're twelve years old and uncomfortable with boy/girl feelings!)

Aww, come on.  Sometimes its funny!  And I don't think it has anything to do with being uncomfortable about feelings.  Its just that you didn't realise how what you were saying sounded.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #650 on: June 19, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »
I had never actually heard "YOLO" used until today.
It took precisely once for me to get tired of it.  :P

Today, a prominient politician in my country suddenly announced he was leaving office and returning to private life.
This was a big news item.

I was watching the news segment and mentioned to my coworker that I had once seen a very unusual bit of film about this person.
He and a well-known comedian were kidding around and agreed to jump off the dock into the lake - without clothes. (Secluded, fly-in access cabin - not a public venue!)
  :o
The relevant areas were blurred out, but they were definitely "unclad".

For some reason, seeing the clips of this person at work, in his office etc were so at odds with the bit of frivolity that I mentioned it.

My coworker shrugged and said "YOLO?"

Ummm. Not sure that jumping into a lake - unclothed - with a public figure - and having it filmed for national viewing - is something on my "YOLO" list....

Try living in Yolo County in a college town. I hear both meanings multiple times a day and I get very confused.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #651 on: June 20, 2013, 12:57:42 AM »

"That's what she said!"

Aww, come on.  Sometimes its funny!  And I don't think it has anything to do with being uncomfortable about feelings.  Its just that you didn't realise how what you were saying sounded.

Oh, I can be juvenile just as much as the next person sometimes  :P  It *is* juvenile humor, though, and the people who pull "that's what SHE said!" every other sentence get on my nerves . . .

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #652 on: June 20, 2013, 06:24:42 AM »

It's sexual innuendo.  If somebody (innocently) says "It only took me 2 minutes" or "That's a big one", some smart-Alec will say "That what she said".  It was made popular by The Office, where Micheal Scott (Steve Carrel) said it constantly.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #653 on: June 20, 2013, 06:30:42 AM »

"That's what she said!"

Oh, I can be juvenile just as much as the next person sometimes  :P  It *is* juvenile humor, though, and the people who pull "that's what SHE said!" every other sentence get on my nerves . . .
That'll teach me to read through to the end of the thread before posting. :-[
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

cabbageweevil

« Reply #654 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:31 AM »

It's sexual innuendo.  If somebody (innocently) says "It only took me 2 minutes" or "That's a big one", some smart-Alec will say "That what she said".  It was made popular by The Office, where Micheal Scott (Steve Carrel) said it constantly.
Ancient and un-trendy, and much-loved, British-English equivalent: "As the actress said to the bishop" (or vice versa).

Iris

« Reply #655 on: June 20, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »

Ancient and un-trendy, and much-loved, British-English equivalent: "As the actress said to the bishop" (or vice versa).

Haha! I was thinking exactly the same thing! Nothing new under the sun, I guess...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Fleur

« Reply #656 on: June 22, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »

'I'm loving' for 'I love'. Just ghastly, and reminds me of the awful McDonald's jingle.

Pen^2

« Reply #657 on: June 22, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »
This has probably already been said earlier on, but I can't find it, so here we go.

People who say "lol" aloud. If it isn't funny enough to actually be caused to spontaneously laugh out loud, then don't say that you are via an acronym that sounds stupid when not in type. Most of the time I've heard it said, it was more of a reflex thing, and done with a pretty bored-looking face. "Here's a photo of my nephew. He just lost his front tooth." "lol." AAAAARRGHHH

YOLO also bugs me, but for a different reason. It's said almost entirely by people so entitled and pampered that they actually can't conceive of its meaning. If you asked why "you only live once" means you should try to do something daring, they couldn't tell you. And yes, I have asked a few people. It was a long train ride, what can I say?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #658 on: June 22, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »
Can't remember if this has been mentioned:  "That is unacceptable!" said in aggrieved tones when the speaker has not been allowed to do something that (in this world, using this world's physics) is pretty much impossible. 

Example:

Person: I have just deleted an entire day's worth of writing by accident.  Please hit the correct button so I can retrieve the twenty five pages I have deleted.  What do you mean if it is deleted I cannot get it back?  That is unacceptable.  I NEED that for my class tonight.

Bonus points if they say "That is simply unacceptable!"

Yarnspinner

« Reply #659 on: June 22, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »
I hate hate HATE lol added to the end of every sentence. I have a friend who will complain about how terrible her life is and every sentence ends with lol.

Oh yes! Another member in a forum I used to frequent did this exact thing. It was rare a sentence of theirs wouldn't end with "lol." I began thinking of it as "lull."

Parking a pod here.  I absolutely want to reach through my email or through the chat room or facebook when one of my friends says something fairly nasty and ends it with 'LOL" as if we are all going to agree that the thing is amusing to us.