Author Topic: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing  (Read 55630 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "Trendy" expressions you're tired of hearing
« Reply #660 on: June 23, 2013, 01:45:54 AM »
If you asked why "you only live once" means you should try to do something daring, they couldn't tell you.

You... should probably not look up the Lonely Island song "YOLO".

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #661 on: June 24, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »
Along the same lines as someone saying "ell oh ell," I find it annoying when someone says "oh em gee."  ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

cwm

« Reply #662 on: June 24, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Along the same lines as someone saying "ell oh ell," I find it annoying when someone says "oh em gee."  ::)

I hear people say lulz a lot. It bothers me. I'm not so bothered by the "oh em gee" bit, but I used to work with someone who claimed that simply saying the letters was religious harassment and that anyone who said those three letters would be subject to a very angry deity holding it over their heads come judgement day. Most of us rolled our eyes at that, but she was absolutely bothered.

The weird part? She would drop f-bombs like they were going out of style, but I suppose since it wasn't the Lord's name, it's okay?

magicdomino

« Reply #663 on: June 25, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »

I hear people say lulz a lot. It bothers me. I'm not so bothered by the "oh em gee" bit, but I used to work with someone who claimed that simply saying the letters was religious harassment and that anyone who said those three letters would be subject to a very angry deity holding it over their heads come judgement day. Most of us rolled our eyes at that, but she was absolutely bothered.

The weird part? She would drop f-bombs like they were going out of style, but I suppose since it wasn't the Lord's name, it's okay?

When my mother was a child, vulgar words regarding "scrabble" and waste material were tolerated, although not encouraged.  Curse words though, even their polite equivalents like gosh darn or Jesus, would be met with a soaped mouth if you were lucky, a switch if you weren't.  The Bible forbids taking the Lord's Name in vain, but doesn't say anything about being a potty-mouth.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:24:24 PM by magicdomino »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #664 on: June 25, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »
I can't stand when someone writes of a situation (real or fictional) as being "so in lurrrrrrve" because it sounds like they aren't buying it or respecting it.

mrsholles

« Reply #665 on: July 06, 2013, 01:29:01 AM »
Using the word "do" in ways that would make Webster weep.   "will you do?"  instead of "will you take?" or "I'll do the cheeseburger" when ordering in a restaurant.  It drives me nuts. 

Baby mama/daddy, amiright (ugh, that's like nails on a chalkboard),

I have no idea what "hashtag" means, but I'm sure that would annoy me, too. 

cabbageweevil

« Reply #666 on: July 06, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »
For some strange reason, the word makes me think of the ancient Middle East.

daen

« Reply #667 on: July 06, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
Hashtag -> hashish ->hookah bars -> Middle East? That's where my mind went.

I believe that hashtag refers to # followed by a word or phrasemushedtogetherlikethis, used in Twitter (and now Facebook, I think) to tag a tweet as referring to something specific like #oklahomatornado or #jennysparty or #YOLO or #toosexyformyshirt... or whatever bandwagon you wish to jump on (or start).

cabbageweevil

« Reply #668 on: July 06, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
Hashtag -> hashish ->hookah bars -> Middle East? That's where my mind went.

I believe that hashtag refers to # followed by a word or phrasemushedtogetherlikethis, used in Twitter (and now Facebook, I think) to tag a tweet as referring to something specific like #oklahomatornado or #jennysparty or #YOLO or #toosexyformyshirt... or whatever bandwagon you wish to jump on (or start).
It seemed to suggest to me Babylon or the Akkadians or the Hittites, don't know quite why. Anyway, thanks for the "real-world" explanation !

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #669 on: July 06, 2013, 07:05:20 PM »
Hero    I think that this is the one word that gets me everytime I hear it. Do people really understand what a hero is? To me it now is such a diluted word that doesn't mean anything.

I don't tex so when I see all those abbreviations I have no idea what they mean.

Thank you!  Hero dilution is, other than "literal" dilution, my biggest language peeve.  A person is not a hero just because they save a life, at least to my definition.  My definition of a hero is someone who saves someone's life through risk to themselves in a situation that the hero has no specific training for.  (If you're trained, you're very brave, but it's not heroic, it's your job!)
And one is NOT a hero for playing a professional sport!  >:(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~