A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Well, I never knew that! Share your interesting info...

<< < (14/28) > >>

Snooks:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on January 08, 2013, 08:02:30 PM ---Cheddar cheese did not start out orange, and the orange color is added.

Beginning in the 12th century, the cheese made in the village of Cheddar was very popular and had a pale yellow color when mature due to the diet of the cows. Only the cheese made in the Cheddar region could be called by that name. Other cheesemakers noticed the success of the cheese, and began to dye their cheeses to compete with Cheddar cheese.

--- End quote ---

But cheddar cheese isn't orange  :-\

atirial:

--- Quote from: Kaora on January 09, 2013, 02:18:13 AM ---That in Dr Who, there is another 9th Doctor, who only appears on the BBC website in his own series of Flash animations, and was replaced by Eccleston?
--- End quote ---
Played by Richard E. Grant (Scream of the Shalka). Trivia note: Derek Jacobi first played the Master in this serial.

The term "man" used to be gender-neutral. The gendered terms were "Wyf" and "Were". (Would that mean a female werewolf is a Wyfwolf?)

RingTailedLemur:

--- Quote from: Snooks on January 09, 2013, 05:58:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on January 08, 2013, 08:02:30 PM ---Cheddar cheese did not start out orange, and the orange color is added.

Beginning in the 12th century, the cheese made in the village of Cheddar was very popular and had a pale yellow color when mature due to the diet of the cows. Only the cheese made in the Cheddar region could be called by that name. Other cheesemakers noticed the success of the cheese, and began to dye their cheeses to compete with Cheddar cheese.

--- End quote ---

But cheddar cheese isn't orange  :-\

--- End quote ---

That's what I was going to say.  Ladyknight, is it possible you are thinking of Red Leicester cheese?

Redsoil:
So, some Aussie facts:

In 1832, 300 female Convicts at the Cascade Female Factory mooned the Governor of Tasmania during a chapel service. It was said that in a "rare moment of collusion with the Convict women, the ladies in the Governor's party could not control their laughter."   Tassie still sells postcards depicting this scene.

A former Prime Minister of Australia, Bob Hawke, was in the Guiness Book of Records for sculling 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds.

A kangaroo being chased into a dam by a dog will seize the dog in its forepaws and hold it under water to drown it (actually happened to a friend's dog).  If a 'roo catches the dog on land, it can eviscerate it using its powerful hind legs.

Giggity:

--- Quote from: Redsoil on January 09, 2013, 07:58:12 AM ---A former Prime Minister of Australia, Bob Hawke, was in the Guiness Book of Records for sculling 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds.
--- End quote ---

I don't care what party he is. I would totally vote for that guy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version