Author Topic: Well, I never knew that! Share your interesting info...  (Read 12338 times)

Redsoil

Well, I never knew that! Share your interesting info...
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:43:54 AM »
I'm currently reading one of the QI books (Steven Fry - TV show "QI" stands for Quite Interesting).

I never knew...

That Scottish clan tartans are a quite recent "invention".  You gasp in horror?  Scots on the board are screaming "awaaay an' bile yer heid"?

Read on, oh ye of little faith:

Content deleted.  Basic synopsis, clan tartans are a myth and only relatively recent  inventions.  Clan tartans were not worn at any of the famous battles for Scotland.

So now you know!

http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=77630
   Post 221002 (about halfway down the page)

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/qi/episodes/8/11/

And just for fun...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-aaUFbi6u4
Feel free to add your own interesting facts on any and all topics!  :)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:49:24 AM by Redsoil »
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Well, I never knew that! Share your interesting info...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:11 AM »
Early on in the movie Jurassic Park, they show scientists removing blood from the stomach of a mosquito trapped in amber in order to get dinosaur DNA.

However, the mosquito they used in the movie is of the genus Toxorhynchitinae, which is the only genus of mosquitoes that do not blood feed as adults: they only eat sugar water from plants.

squeakers

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:31:30 AM »
I'm currently reading one of the QI books (Steven Fry - TV show "QI" stands for Quite Interesting).

I never knew...

That Scottish clan tartans are a quite recent "invention".  You gasp in horror?  Scots on the board are screaming "awaaay an' bile yer heid"?

Wherever you got that from (should cite it) it almost copied it word for word from the wiki on it (tartan).
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Redsoil

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:35:35 AM »
Really?  It's as written in their book (in part) and also some further info from a board linked to QI.  There ae multiple sites with similar info if anyone wishes to check, if there are concerns of plagiarism.  Perhaps the info made it to Wiki from their  boards?  I thought I HAD cited - it's from the book I'm reading on QI, the show.

And here I thought I was, having a nice topic for info and fun!  If I have to reference everything like I've been doing for assignments, then it seems a bit over the top.
Look out... 

Redsoil

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:43:39 AM »
Okay, I've been and read the forum rules to clarify.  Deleting original post (which is a shame, but there you go).

Links inserted if anyone wants to follow them.
Look out... 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 08:21:12 AM »
Random fact: One of the first recorded uses of the word "baseball" in print in English is by Jane Austen, in Northanger Abbey. Somewhere in the first chapter, Catherine, the tomboyish heroine, plays "base ball" instead of sitting nicely and sewing. (You can check this in the OED.)

Just not the author you tend to think of first in relation to sports.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »
This is such a neat thread!

The Ancient Egyptians had a form of baseball. 

From the beginning of the Middle KIngdom through Roman times, The king is often shown performing a ritual involving a bat and a ball.  In the early images, the bat doesn't look very functional but, in later times, the bat closely resembles a baseball or cricket bat. 

In one image, there is even a column of priests carrying balls on their heads.  The inscription describes them as, 'returning balls the king has hit away'. 

DollyPond

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »
Early on in the movie Jurassic Park, they show scientists removing blood from the stomach of a mosquito trapped in amber in order to get dinosaur DNA.

However, the mosquito they used in the movie is of the genus Toxorhynchitinae, which is the only genus of mosquitoes that do not blood feed as adults: they only eat sugar water from plants.

and in the book they give the DNA sequence of the presumed dinosaur DNA.  If you run that sequence through GenBank (this is what nerds do) it comes out as pBR322 a bacterial plasmid!  They could have at least put in a bird sequence to make it a little more authentic.

Dolly,  Supreme Nerd

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »

I never knew...

Wherever you got that from (should cite it) it almost copied it word for word from the wiki on it (tartan).

Giving credit would be nice, but if it's on Wikipedia anyone else can quote or republish it without specific permission or acknowledgement: that's part of how Wikipedia is set up. When I work on a Wikipedia entry, I'm not just giving my time/energy/words to Wikimedia, I'm putting them out there in the public domain for anyone who wants to use them. What strikes me as tacky is sites/books/etc. that are entirely taken from Wikipedia, because they are falsely claiming to give you something new/different.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Okay, here's my strange-but-true confession.  I'll preface it by saying my experience was only with one university, so I don't know for sure if this is universal, but the way it was presented to me suggested it might be:

I worked in the admissions office at my university for a while.  Since we had students from all over the country and there was no feasible way for them all to have on-campus interviews, the university had an alumni interview program - you sign up when you apply, then an alumnus in your area contacts you for an in-person interview.  You get to ask questions about the school, the alumnus gets to ask questions about you, and they send in a form giving you a score 1-5 and notes about how you were in person.

Confession: my job was to go through and pretty much just throw out everything that was between a 2 and a 4.  If the alumnus ranked the student a 5, I noted that in the file before tossing out the form.  The only time the admissions officers even saw the interview forms (which sometimes had a page and a half of painstaking notes) was if the alumnus ranked the prospective student as a "1" - the admissions officers wanted to know what it was that made the student such a stand-out bad candidate.

I asked about it, and it turns out alumni donations go up significantly when alumni "get involved."  So the interview program has very little to do with helping rank incoming students, and everything to do with the school getting a bigger check.  Like I said, I don't know for sure that any other schools do this, but it sounded like it was a pretty common practice.

scotcat60

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
The average domestic cat can run faster than Usain Bolt.

(1,227 QI Facts to blow your socks off)

Except my cat, who is not interested in anything other than sleeping or eating.

drzim

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »

and in the book they give the DNA sequence of the presumed dinosaur DNA.  If you run that sequence through GenBank (this is what nerds do) it comes out as pBR322 a bacterial plasmid!  They could have at least put in a bird sequence to make it a little more authentic.

Dolly,  Supreme Nerd

I believe it's actually pUC18 sequence (how do I know?  I ran it through myself....)

drzim, Ultimate Nerd

DollyPond

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:32 PM »

Dolly,  Supreme Nerd

I believe it's actually pUC18 sequence (how do I know?  I ran it through myself....)

drzim, Ultimate Nerd

Oh well.  I guess my memory of a BLAST search I did 22 years ago ain't what it used to be! I did remember it was a cloning vector though.

mmswm

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
"Mobile Homes" do not get their names from the fact that they can be moved.  The idea of a pre-fabricated home that could be moved intact or nearly intact was invented by a man in Mobile, Alabama.  I forget the name of the company, but over time, the homes became known as Mobile (AL) Homes.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »
The next time you stop at a traffic light or see an oxygen mask, thank Garrett Morgan of Cleveland.  He was an African-American who invented the prototypes of both of those.