Author Topic: Awkward Dinner Payment  (Read 3704 times)

Girly

Re: Awkward Dinner Payment
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 04:02:19 PM »
I'm not sure why you didn't speak up and say, "Oh, but you weren't planning on paying for me. I'll buy my own dinner--I expected to, anyway." And without any conversation, or regardless of it, simply hand over the money.

This is what I have done in the past - works beautifully, and avoids the awkwardness.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »
My first reaction was that you were invited to Priscilla's birthday dinner for Sage.

I might be wrong.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »
Restaurants splitting checks seems to be a regional thing. I know in Australia, most restaurants refuse to do this.

I'm not sure why you didn't speak up and say, "Oh, but you weren't planning on paying for me. I'll buy my own dinner--I expected to, anyway." And without any conversation, or regardless of it, simply hand over the money.

This is what I have done in the past - works beautifully, and avoids the awkwardness.

I think this would have been the best plan. That said, if Priscilla got vocal, and insisted that she'd pay for your meal, I wouldn't press the issue. I'd gracefully accept, and make a note to treat her to a meal at some later date.